Questions for the SCA Informed

  • Heidi Martinez
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2007
      Hi,

      I am new to the SCA and would like to find information about Germany during
      Medieval and Renaissance times. I can find some but most is from the
      standards: England, Scotland, etc.

      I am interested in finding clothing and names from Medieval Germany.

      I also need some help with the making of a persona from Germany in the
      Society. How do you find one? Where do you find it? It is not clear on
      the SCA site for me to understand the evolution of the persona.

      Can someone please forward me some web sites to find patterns or ready made
      clothes from Germany?

      Much thanks. I am new and would like to be ready for an event in Jan.,
      since I am so slow at sewing and comprehension I will need all the time I
      can get. The ready made would be a life saver.

      Thanks again.

      Heidi

    • Anetika Roller
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2007
        For clothing check out this site:
        http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/costhistpage.htm This is a
        fantastic database, searchable by culture and time period. You should be
        able to find what you are looking for there. Documentation for anything
        medieval German can be hard to come by. My husband does a German persona,
        and has also had a hard time finding info. It is as if all of the
        historians interested in Germany can't get past WWII, as if that was the
        only thing that ever happened in Germany.

        I personally have found that sometimes it is best to start researching a
        specific person, this often leads to insights on what life for people of
        that culture was like. I don't know what time period you are interested in,
        but being a late period enthusiast, I would start with Anne of Cleves.

        Good luck!

        Constance
        --
        Semper gero sub gero
        Always wear under wear

      • dohmnall_oruairc
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2007

          > I am interested in finding clothing and names from Medieval Germany.
          >
          > I also need some help with the making of a persona from Germany in the
          > Society. How do you find one? Where do you find it? It is not
          clear on
          > the SCA site for me to understand the evolution of the persona.
          >
          > Can someone please forward me some web sites to find patterns or
          ready made
          > clothes from Germany?

          For German Clothing info try
          http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?