A few questions on garb

  • estanda_the_sim
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2007
      So I'm just getting involved with my local chaper of the SCA (Going to
      a Newcomers meeting next month). I have a set of garb already - Shoes
      and dress, so far. The dress is black, grey, white and red tartan,
      with a red velvet stripe down the center. The shoes are old, plain
      moccasins I found at a thrift shop and used some shoe shine to make
      them look a bit worn. Now, my first question is on the rope belt on
      the dress. The belt is white rope (I'm pretty sure it's a nylon
      material). I read somewhere that white belts are reserved for
      knights. Should I dye it? Or braid a new one, maybe?

      Second question: I have really short hair for a girl, and I figure I'm
      going to wear a veil or headpiece. Any design ideas? I just need
      something simple. I saw something pretty in a book recently: It was
      like a plain long cloth scarf, with a headband type thing to hold it in
      place. Anyone have an idea on how to make something similar?

      Any general advice on getting involved with the group is welcome as
      well - I really need it. I'm in the East Kingdom.
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2007
        estanda_the_sim wrote:
        > I have a set of garb already. . .The belt is white rope (I'm pretty
        > sure it's a nylon material). I read somewhere that white belts are
        > reserved for knights.

        That's right.

        > Should I dye it? Or braid a new one, maybe?

        Well, I wouldn't recommend you wear it as it is.

        Nylon dyes pretty easily, and braided belts were worn in our period, so
        either of those options would work.

        You could also wear any plain leather belt you happen to have around.
        Or put a simple buckle on a length of cotton webbing (like the stuff
        pictured at <http://www.jontay.com/webbing/cottonwebbing.htm> and
        <http://www.sirwebbing.com/ourCotton.shtml>). It's not authentic, but
        it's unobtrusive (if you pick a reasonable color), inexpensive, and
        widely available. (I can get it at my local fabric store for a dollar
        or two a yard.)

        > . . .I have really short hair for a girl, and I figure I'm going to
        > wear a veil or headpiece.. . .I saw something pretty in a book
        > recently: It was like a plain long cloth scarf, with a headband type
        > thing to hold it in place. Anyone have an idea on how to make
        > something similar?

        It sounds like a basic veil, worn with a fillet of some sort. Making
        one isn't difficult. It's just a piece of fabric with the edges
        finished. I'd use a rolled hem, were it me.

        Cynthia Virtue's got suggestions for a couple of simple ways to keep a
        veil on on her site <http://www.sirwebbing.com/ourCotton.shtml>. You
        might want to read that before you make one; it includes tips on shape
        and materials, as well.

        > Any general advice on getting involved with the group is welcome. .
        > .I'm in the East Kingdom.

        You can read more about your kingdom's customs at
        <http://www.schuldy.org/fieldguide.html>. It might help make you feel
        more confident that you know what's going on around you.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>