Re: [SCA Newcomers] Artistic Website?? (fka List of registered devices?)

  • Sarah Stovall
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
      In regards to creation of devices, is there any sort of online site that can help you generate your device?

      I'm not sure about online sites but you might try adobe photoshop or I'm sure you could find clip art ( http://www.heraldicclipart.com/catalog/index1.html ) for a shield and then use whatever you might want to put on it that way. Just a suggestion. Or there is a free software that you can use http://www.yourchildlearns.com/her_act.htm that is kinda difficult you actually have to download the software and then print everything out and cut it out and glue or tape it together but I'll look around for more places. Depending on what you are looking for you might try:

      http://www.heraldrylinks.com/

      http://www.digiserve.com/heraldry/clipart.htm

      (both have lots of good resources)

      Goodluck Sarah.

    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
        Sue Voris wrote:
        > In regards to creation of devices, is there any sort of online site
        > that can help you generate your device? I am so artistically inept
        > that even my stick figures look like Picasso during a bad LSD trip.. .
        > .

        There are a number of places you can download heraldic clipart. The
        most extensive free site is Free Heraldry Clipart
        <http://heraldicclipart.com/catalog/index.html>.

        The West Kingdom College of Heralds has also produced templates for
        things like field divisions, ordinaries, and common charges
        <http://heralds.westkingdom.org/Templates/index.htm>, and the images
        from the Pennsic Traceable Art Project are available for download
        <http://www.aeheralds.net/Links/AE_Traceable_Art/TraceableArt.html>.
        These are both designed to make it easy for anyone to trace the
        elements (s)he wants.

        It's also fine to use a photocopier to size elements up and down, cut
        them out, paste them onto a submission form, and then photocopy that to
        produce the form you submit.

        > I've seen programs that you can use to design the layout of a
        > residence. Could you create a program that allows the user to click
        > and drag heraldic designs onto a shield shape?. . .

        Sure. There used to be several pieces of software on the market that
        would create emblazons <http://www.digiserve.com/heraldry/hersoft.htm>.
        Some of them were pretty good. My heraldry-obsessed son used to spend
        hours playing with MaƮtre d'Armes. But so far as I'm aware, nobody's
        updated any of them for a few years, and the last time I tried to find
        them online I didn't have a lot of luck. . .I think Heraldry Primer is
        the only one we could track down. I suspect there's just not enough of
        a market for it to make a commercial program profitable, and nobody
        around with both the skill and the time who's interested in doing one
        for free.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Sarah Stovall
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
          "The database, with its various search engines, are at

          oanda.sca.org.

          However, if you're not versed in the rules for submissions, you

          may find it difficult determining whether a particular registration

          is a conflict with a proposed design."

          What are the rules for determining a particular registration. I'm interested in

          http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/sstoval3/Dorsey2.jpg

          but I'm not sure how I'd go about searching for that. Thanks, Sarah

        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
            Quoth Sarah Stovall:
            > What are the rules for determining a particular registration.

            If you're really interested, the rules for submissions are at
            http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html

            > I'm interested in
            > http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/sstoval3/Dorsey2.jpg

            This would be blazoned "Sable, a pegasus rampant gules and in
            canton an estoile gyronny gules and Or all within a bordure
            compony Or and gules."

            Unfortunately, such a design would not be registerable. One of
            the rules which you'll often hear called the "rule of contrast"
            or the "rule of tincture" is that light colored charges (yellow,
            white) have to be placed on dark colored backgrounds (black, blue,
            red, green, purple) and vice versa. A red pegasus on a black field
            violates this rule.

            If you'd like to keep a very similar design, an easy fix would be
            to make the pegasus Or (yellow) instead of gules (red). There are
            only four yellow pegasuses on black fields registered, and this
            design is clear of conflict with all four of them (and I didn't find
            any other potential problems).

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
              There's several packages available at
              http://www.digiserve.com/heraldry/hersoft.htm
              Some of them don't import custom arts and have small sets of charges.
              However, you can cut and paste in Paint (the cheesy drawing program
              that comes with any Windows computer) to put something else over the
              one that's wrong. Some of them will also give a blazon for the device
              (sometimes very, very crude and complicated). Keeping these
              limitations in mind, they are a decent resource for patching together
              a sample to take over to a herald and say, "Would this work?"

              YiS,
              Ciaran

              On 9/7/07, Suzanne Voris <suzanne_voris@...> wrote:

              > In regards to creation of devices, is there any sort of online site that can help you generate your device? I am so artistically inept that even my stick figures look like Picasso during a bad LSD trip. You don't even want to think about what a mess I'd make of heraldic devices.
              >
              > If the above idea is just a pipe dream, I'll toss this idea out to all the Computer Programming Gods & Goddesses. I've seen programs that you can use to design the layout of a residence. Could you create a program that allows the user to click and drag heraldic designs onto a shield shape? The shield shape shouldn't change shape or size. A great size would be about 4" x 6" on the computer screen. Another plus would be if everything was properly sized to fit the shield or sizing could be easily done with a mouse-click on an up or down arrow icon. Coloring via the program would be a HUGE bonus. (If it couldn't be programmed in, personally I'd just print out the finished black-and-white-device, grab a pack of colored pencils and start reliving my childhood!)
              >
              > Sue Voris
              >
              > Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:
              > Quoth Elizabeth Cember:
              > > If this exists online at all, I know someone here will have a link ready to h
              > > and. Is there an online database of the registered devices within the SCA?
              >
              > The database, with its various search engines, are at
              > oanda.sca.org.
              >
              > However, if you're not versed in the rules for submissions, you
              > may find it difficult determining whether a particular registration
              > is a conflict with a proposed design. If you've got any questions,
              > feel free to email me off list.
              >
              > > And, second question, devices have to be unique across all kingdoms not just
              > > within a given kingdom, correct?
              >
              > That's right. This is in part because of the high mobility of SCAdians
              > as opposed to medieval Europeans -- the chances that the average SCA
              > person will visit between, and even move between, kingdoms, are very
              > high.
              >
              > -Aryanhwy, Albion Herald for Drachenwald (and erstwhile Rede Boke Herald
              > for Northshield and Rouge Scarpe Herald for the Midrealm)
              > albion@...
              >
              > --
              > vita sine literis mors est
              > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
              >
              > ---------------------------------
            • Labhaoise O'Beachain
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                HMMMMM....

                Well now, I know enough programming that I know it can be done.
                HOWEVER; my skills run to DB not graphic design, so I'll have to
                search (and ask in my next class.)

                I survived the Arts requirememts way back when because I had a good
                eye. Given some fool challenge, like produce a 3D object that leads
                the eye right using tissue paper and popcycle stick (and the
                challenges did read like that), I can produce. A task like sketch
                your right hand, (ARRRGGGHHH) and I'm done for.... and using
                electrons hasn't cured me!

                Labhaoise

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Suzanne Voris
                <suzanne_voris@...> wrote:

                > In regards to creation of devices, is there any sort of online site
                that can help you generate your device? I am so artistically inept
                that even my stick figures look like Picasso during a bad LSD trip.
                You don't even want to think about what a mess I'd make of heraldic
                devices.

                > If the above idea is just a pipe dream, I'll toss this idea out
                to all the Computer Programming Gods & Goddesses. I've seen programs
                that you can use to design the layout of a residence. Could you
                create a program that allows the user to click and drag heraldic
                designs onto a shield shape? The shield shape shouldn't change shape
                or size. A great size would be about 4" x 6" on the computer
                screen. Another plus would be if everything was properly sized to
                fit the shield or sizing could be easily done with a mouse-click on
                an up or down arrow icon. Coloring via the program would be a HUGE
                bonus. (If it couldn't be programmed in, personally I'd just print
                out the finished black-and-white-device, grab a pack of colored
                pencils and start reliving my childhood!)

                > Sue Voris

              • Labhaoise O'Beachain
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                  And there is this...
                  http://www.ims.tuwien.ac.at/~hme/papers/eva2002-jemblazoner.pdf
                  I'm still looking for the app itself, but

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Stovall <thswildcats@...>