Re: [SCA Newcomers] A good, reasonable source for material

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
      In a message dated 9/3/2007 5:05:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      cas46per@... writes:

      <<I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
      eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating
      food that's made the way it was made years ago. >>

      Can't help you with your other questions, but you can find links to pretty
      much all the period recipes you could want at the Medieval and Renaissance Food
      Homepage:

      _http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html

      _ (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html)

      Lancaster, PA

    • Labhaoise O'Beachain
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
        As a dumpsterjumper from a long line of same, keep your eyes open and
        deny them nothing, anything you want can be had.....

        Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't
        sound right....

        Labhaoise
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

        > Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a
        distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
        > I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a
        few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my
        favorites.
        > I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for
        the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be
        around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the
        slightest plea for help.
        > Have a good time at the events this fall.
        >
        > Ælfwynn
        > Shire of Beau Fort
      • Denise Keppel
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
          Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
          have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
          with folks with disabilities are just better. There
          shops will have a better and classier selection of
          clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
          CENTERS in them as a tip off.

          Need a vacation? Get great deals
          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
          http://travel.yahoo.com/
        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
            Labhaoise wrote:
            > Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't sound
            > right....

            The modern term for the medieval occupation is "rag-picker". In period
            those so employed were apparently known as "chiffonniers" in French and
            "patari" in Milanese. I'm not sure what the terms were in England in
            the Middle Ages.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          • Jeff Suzuki
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

              > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
              > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend
              > of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.

              There's a good set of recipes at Cariadoc's miscellany (good enough to
              have been plagiarized by Emeril, in fact...interesting story involving
              threats of lawyers that, I'm sure, will grow in the retelling). You
              can find the miscellany at:

              http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

              Jeffs/etc.
            • David Backlin
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                > Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                > have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                > with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                > shops will have a better and classier selection of
                > clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                > CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                In Arkansas, we have "Abilities Unlimited" which helps the disabled as well.
                Their stores vary in quality, though. Some are near immaculate, some look
                like someone backed up the dumptruck and unloaded. They seem to get a lot of
                old computers and peripherals.