Re: [SCA Newcomers] A good, reasonable source for material

  • wendy brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4 10:50 AM
      Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
      I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my favorites.
      I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the slightest plea for help.
      Have a good time at the events this fall.

      Ælfwynn
      Shire of Beau Fort

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4 3:22 PM
        In a message dated 9/3/2007 5:05:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        cas46per@... writes:

        <<I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
        eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating
        food that's made the way it was made years ago. >>

        Can't help you with your other questions, but you can find links to pretty
        much all the period recipes you could want at the Medieval and Renaissance Food
        Homepage:

        _http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html

        _ (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html)

        Lancaster, PA

      • Labhaoise O'Beachain
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4 5:51 PM
          As a dumpsterjumper from a long line of same, keep your eyes open and
          deny them nothing, anything you want can be had.....

          Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't
          sound right....

          Labhaoise
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

          > Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a
          distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
          > I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a
          few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my
          favorites.
          > I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for
          the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be
          around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the
          slightest plea for help.
          > Have a good time at the events this fall.
          >
          > Ælfwynn
          > Shire of Beau Fort
        • Denise Keppel
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4 6:42 PM
            Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
            have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
            with folks with disabilities are just better. There
            shops will have a better and classier selection of
            clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
            CENTERS in them as a tip off.

            Need a vacation? Get great deals
            to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
            http://travel.yahoo.com/
          • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4 8:35 PM
              Labhaoise wrote:
              > Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't sound
              > right....

              The modern term for the medieval occupation is "rag-picker". In period
              those so employed were apparently known as "chiffonniers" in French and
              "patari" in Milanese. I'm not sure what the terms were in England in
              the Middle Ages.

              Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
              <mailto:Coblaith@...>
            • Jeff Suzuki
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5 9:44 AM
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

                > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
                > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend
                > of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.

                There's a good set of recipes at Cariadoc's miscellany (good enough to
                have been plagiarized by Emeril, in fact...interesting story involving
                threats of lawyers that, I'm sure, will grow in the retelling). You
                can find the miscellany at:

                http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

                Jeffs/etc.
              • David Backlin
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5 10:05 AM
                  > Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                  > have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                  > with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                  > shops will have a better and classier selection of
                  > clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                  > CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                  In Arkansas, we have "Abilities Unlimited" which helps the disabled as well.
                  Their stores vary in quality, though. Some are near immaculate, some look
                  like someone backed up the dumptruck and unloaded. They seem to get a lot of
                  old computers and peripherals.