Re: Renfaire

  • Jeanette Diaz
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 4, 2007
      i think it depends on your local faire. Since some people oustide the
      SCA refer to SCA events as renfaire, I'll define it as a commercial
      entertainment event. Renfaires get a bad reputation for garb either
      because of the quality of what's sold or because some of the patrons
      run around in very bizarre outfits that are in no way flattering.
      Picture way too much skin being shown, and really modern neon colors
      and lacings in very, very strange places. And some people who love
      period recreation hate the fact that fantasy-lovers are so into it and
      that it taints the history somehow. Since commercial renfairs want to
      attract patrons, they'll sometimes overemphasize the fantasy and
      forget about the history. My local commercial renfair has a healthy
      mix of history and fantasy, and some of the fantasy creations are
      really stunning. You can have a chat with a perfectly period Elizabeth
      I and then walk down the road and shake hands with a really eerily
      convincing fawn. I love the ren fair! You should find out if you have
      any in your area and see for yourself.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "jimmielou111" <jimmielou111@...>
      wrote:

      > I hear people discuss "Renfaire" in disapproving tones especially in
      > regards to garb. What is it?
      >
      > Mary aka Vivien Hollingsworth

    • Labhaoise O'Beachain
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 6, 2007
        I've been to a few RenFaires (comercial) in my area(CT) and I will
        have to say I am pretty liberal about things (live and let live and
        all that). Some of them have been CLEARLY family events complete with
        dress and behaivior requirements. Others have been more freewheeling.
        And a third group were wild at some times and pretty tame at others.

        That being said, I would not have had a problem taking my own
        children to any of them. My daughter however thought King Richards
        Faire(MA)(the biggest) was WAY too wild for kids and was shocked that
        people had thier kids there (complete with the chainmaile bikinis
        (kids too!))

        On the other hand I am currently raising two children who are wards
        of the state and I would think twice (and ask three times) before
        bringing them to a RenFaire. There just wasn't enough line between
        acceptable areas and behaviors and the "adult stuff".

        :Labhaoise

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Pardus <Shadocat@...> wrote:

        > I've only ever been to the Georgia ren-faire. . . and I would have
        > say it has a family friendly environment. I had no idea there
        were
        > some that compared to Mardi Gras.
        >
        > - Pardus.
        >
        > jennifer w townsend wrote:
        > >

        > > Well, I have to say that when my man said he was into SCA (after
        > > explaining what that was) at first I was mortified. 'He's into
        THAT?" My