Re: [SCA Newcomers] honor for non-fighters (was: hierarchy)

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 66 , Aug 22, 2007
      On 8/21/07, Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...> wrote:

      > A lot of non-fighters (and rapier fighters) find grating the fact that
      > the sovereign is chosen by rite of combat, but so far as I know no one
      > has been able to come up with a viable alternative. And, frankly,
      > while being a king or queen is an honor, it's not the one I'd be most
      > interested in. It says, "I meet certain minimum requirements and
      > either fight well or have successfully persuaded someone who fights
      > well to name me as consort." Being a pelican or laurel says much, much
      > more. (Not that I aspire to either of those, really, but if I were
      > going to pick something to go after. . .)

      There is the Barony of the Western Seas (Hawaii) which alternates
      between a heavy weapons tourney and an A&S competition for the posts
      of Baron and Baroness. I can't see that winning an A&S competition
      makes you any more worthy to rule than winning a heavy weapons
      tournament, but at least it opens the field up to more people.

      Scolastica
      --
      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

      If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
      'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz
    • Bulgarelli Maria
      Message 66 of 66 , Sep 5, 2007
        Not here, but I hear that another kingdom has had a
        Queen in her own right.

        I just happen to think it's cool that Ansteorra had
        the first.

        Maria