Re: [SCA Newcomers] A good, reasonable source for material

  • Labhaoise O'Beachain
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
      My current Goodwill is in Norwich CT, but I have habituated a variety
      of Goodwills and Salvation Army sites over the years and they've all
      had decent deals and sales from time to time. Check to see what's in
      your area! And don't forget what is dated or "damaged" is still made
      from fabric, lovely fabric sometimes.....

      Labhaoise
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

      > The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill
      at? I am in North Georgia.
      > On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating
      horses out of steel drums?
      > I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
      > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick
      after eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a
      weekend of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
      > Thank you,
      > Ælfwynn
      > cas46per@...

    • Pardus
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
        GoodWill in North Georgia!
        There is a large GoodWill in Athens, Ga.
        If this is an amenable distance for you, I would be happy to give
        directions.

        - Pardus
        Barony of Bryn-Madoc

        wendy brown wrote:

        > The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill at?
        > I am in North Georgia.
        > On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating horses
        > out of steel drums?
        > I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
        > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
        > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of
        > eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
        > Thank you,
        > Ælfwynn
        > cas46per@... <mailto:cas46per%40yahoo.com>

      • wendy brown
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
          Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
          I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my favorites.
          I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the slightest plea for help.
          Have a good time at the events this fall.

          Ælfwynn
          Shire of Beau Fort

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
            In a message dated 9/3/2007 5:05:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            cas46per@... writes:

            <<I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
            eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating
            food that's made the way it was made years ago. >>

            Can't help you with your other questions, but you can find links to pretty
            much all the period recipes you could want at the Medieval and Renaissance Food
            Homepage:

            _http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html

            _ (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html)

            Lancaster, PA

          • Labhaoise O'Beachain
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
              As a dumpsterjumper from a long line of same, keep your eyes open and
              deny them nothing, anything you want can be had.....

              Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't
              sound right....

              Labhaoise
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

              > Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a
              distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
              > I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a
              few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my
              favorites.
              > I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for
              the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be
              around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the
              slightest plea for help.
              > Have a good time at the events this fall.
              >
              > Ælfwynn
              > Shire of Beau Fort
            • Denise Keppel
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                shops will have a better and classier selection of
                clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                Need a vacation? Get great deals
                to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                http://travel.yahoo.com/
              • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Labhaoise wrote:
                  > Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't sound
                  > right....

                  The modern term for the medieval occupation is "rag-picker". In period
                  those so employed were apparently known as "chiffonniers" in French and
                  "patari" in Milanese. I'm not sure what the terms were in England in
                  the Middle Ages.

                  Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                  Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                  Kingdom of Ansteorra
                  <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                • Jeff Suzuki
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

                    > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
                    > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend
                    > of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.

                    There's a good set of recipes at Cariadoc's miscellany (good enough to
                    have been plagiarized by Emeril, in fact...interesting story involving
                    threats of lawyers that, I'm sure, will grow in the retelling). You
                    can find the miscellany at:

                    http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

                    Jeffs/etc.
                  • David Backlin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                      > Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                      > have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                      > with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                      > shops will have a better and classier selection of
                      > clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                      > CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                      In Arkansas, we have "Abilities Unlimited" which helps the disabled as well.
                      Their stores vary in quality, though. Some are near immaculate, some look
                      like someone backed up the dumptruck and unloaded. They seem to get a lot of
                      old computers and peripherals.