Re: [SCA Newcomers] A good, reasonable source for material

  • wendy brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
      The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill at? I am in North Georgia.
      On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating horses out of steel drums?
      I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
      I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
      Thank you,
      Ælfwynn
      cas46per@...

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
        My current Goodwill is in Norwich CT, but I have habituated a variety
        of Goodwills and Salvation Army sites over the years and they've all
        had decent deals and sales from time to time. Check to see what's in
        your area! And don't forget what is dated or "damaged" is still made
        from fabric, lovely fabric sometimes.....

        Labhaoise
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

        > The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill
        at? I am in North Georgia.
        > On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating
        horses out of steel drums?
        > I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
        > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick
        after eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a
        weekend of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
        > Thank you,
        > Ælfwynn
        > cas46per@...

      • Pardus
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
          GoodWill in North Georgia!
          There is a large GoodWill in Athens, Ga.
          If this is an amenable distance for you, I would be happy to give
          directions.

          - Pardus
          Barony of Bryn-Madoc

          wendy brown wrote:

          > The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill at?
          > I am in North Georgia.
          > On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating horses
          > out of steel drums?
          > I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
          > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
          > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of
          > eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
          > Thank you,
          > Ælfwynn
          > cas46per@... <mailto:cas46per%40yahoo.com>

        • wendy brown
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
            Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
            I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my favorites.
            I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the slightest plea for help.
            Have a good time at the events this fall.

            Ælfwynn
            Shire of Beau Fort

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
              In a message dated 9/3/2007 5:05:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              cas46per@... writes:

              <<I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
              eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating
              food that's made the way it was made years ago. >>

              Can't help you with your other questions, but you can find links to pretty
              much all the period recipes you could want at the Medieval and Renaissance Food
              Homepage:

              _http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html

              _ (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html)

              Lancaster, PA

            • Labhaoise O'Beachain
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                As a dumpsterjumper from a long line of same, keep your eyes open and
                deny them nothing, anything you want can be had.....

                Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't
                sound right....

                Labhaoise
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

                > Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a
                distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
                > I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a
                few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my
                favorites.
                > I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for
                the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be
                around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the
                slightest plea for help.
                > Have a good time at the events this fall.
                >
                > Ælfwynn
                > Shire of Beau Fort
              • Denise Keppel
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                  have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                  with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                  shops will have a better and classier selection of
                  clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                  CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                  Need a vacation? Get great deals
                  to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                  http://travel.yahoo.com/
                • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                    Labhaoise wrote:
                    > Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't sound
                    > right....

                    The modern term for the medieval occupation is "rag-picker". In period
                    those so employed were apparently known as "chiffonniers" in French and
                    "patari" in Milanese. I'm not sure what the terms were in England in
                    the Middle Ages.

                    Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                    Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                    Kingdom of Ansteorra
                    <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                  • Jeff Suzuki
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

                      > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
                      > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend
                      > of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.

                      There's a good set of recipes at Cariadoc's miscellany (good enough to
                      have been plagiarized by Emeril, in fact...interesting story involving
                      threats of lawyers that, I'm sure, will grow in the retelling). You
                      can find the miscellany at:

                      http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

                      Jeffs/etc.
                    • David Backlin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                        > Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                        > have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                        > with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                        > shops will have a better and classier selection of
                        > clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                        > CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                        In Arkansas, we have "Abilities Unlimited" which helps the disabled as well.
                        Their stores vary in quality, though. Some are near immaculate, some look
                        like someone backed up the dumptruck and unloaded. They seem to get a lot of
                        old computers and peripherals.