[SCA Newcomers] A good, reasonable source for material

  • Labhaoise O'Beachain
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
      I don't think it's been mentioned, but the local Goodwill has a half-
      price sale today.....

      I picked up:
      2 linen dresses
      off white
      pale yellow (complete w/tiny blue-grey flowers 'broidered in

      3 full wool skirts
      a tannish/greyish tweed
      brown
      sorta plaid pale yellow/blue-grey/pink-grey

      I've gotta pick miles of pleats out of one of the skirts but in
      exchange it must be about 4 one yard panels...

      I could have bought more but one thing at a time... I saw some pale
      yellow linen drapes(felt like recycled fiber though) and that is
      several yards a panel. There were also tons of things in silks
      (piecework/trims/fancywear), satins, and velvets. Enough to put your
      eye out...

      I also got a ton of clothes for the grands at a dollar or so apiece
      and even a dress for myself.

      Now I just need the time to stitch(HA) everything is going through
      the wash right now!

      Labhaoise
    • wendy brown
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
        The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill at? I am in North Georgia.
        On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating horses out of steel drums?
        I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
        I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
        Thank you,
        Ælfwynn
        cas46per@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
          My current Goodwill is in Norwich CT, but I have habituated a variety
          of Goodwills and Salvation Army sites over the years and they've all
          had decent deals and sales from time to time. Check to see what's in
          your area! And don't forget what is dated or "damaged" is still made
          from fabric, lovely fabric sometimes.....

          Labhaoise
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

          > The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill
          at? I am in North Georgia.
          > On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating
          horses out of steel drums?
          > I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
          > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick
          after eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a
          weekend of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
          > Thank you,
          > Ælfwynn
          > cas46per@...

        • Pardus
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
            GoodWill in North Georgia!
            There is a large GoodWill in Athens, Ga.
            If this is an amenable distance for you, I would be happy to give
            directions.

            - Pardus
            Barony of Bryn-Madoc

            wendy brown wrote:

            > The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill at?
            > I am in North Georgia.
            > On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating horses
            > out of steel drums?
            > I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
            > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
            > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of
            > eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
            > Thank you,
            > Ælfwynn
            > cas46per@... <mailto:cas46per%40yahoo.com>

          • wendy brown
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
              Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
              I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my favorites.
              I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the slightest plea for help.
              Have a good time at the events this fall.

              Ælfwynn
              Shire of Beau Fort

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                In a message dated 9/3/2007 5:05:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                cas46per@... writes:

                <<I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
                eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating
                food that's made the way it was made years ago. >>

                Can't help you with your other questions, but you can find links to pretty
                much all the period recipes you could want at the Medieval and Renaissance Food
                Homepage:

                _http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html

                _ (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html)

                Lancaster, PA

              • Labhaoise O'Beachain
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                  As a dumpsterjumper from a long line of same, keep your eyes open and
                  deny them nothing, anything you want can be had.....

                  Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't
                  sound right....

                  Labhaoise
                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a
                  distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
                  > I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a
                  few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my
                  favorites.
                  > I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for
                  the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be
                  around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the
                  slightest plea for help.
                  > Have a good time at the events this fall.
                  >
                  > Ælfwynn
                  > Shire of Beau Fort
                • Denise Keppel
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                    Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                    have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                    with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                    shops will have a better and classier selection of
                    clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                    CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                    Need a vacation? Get great deals
                    to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                    http://travel.yahoo.com/
                  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                      Labhaoise wrote:
                      > Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't sound
                      > right....

                      The modern term for the medieval occupation is "rag-picker". In period
                      those so employed were apparently known as "chiffonniers" in French and
                      "patari" in Milanese. I'm not sure what the terms were in England in
                      the Middle Ages.

                      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                      Kingdom of Ansteorra
                      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                    • Jeff Suzuki
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

                        > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
                        > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend
                        > of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.

                        There's a good set of recipes at Cariadoc's miscellany (good enough to
                        have been plagiarized by Emeril, in fact...interesting story involving
                        threats of lawyers that, I'm sure, will grow in the retelling). You
                        can find the miscellany at:

                        http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

                        Jeffs/etc.
                      • David Backlin
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                          > Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                          > have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                          > with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                          > shops will have a better and classier selection of
                          > clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                          > CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                          In Arkansas, we have "Abilities Unlimited" which helps the disabled as well.
                          Their stores vary in quality, though. Some are near immaculate, some look
                          like someone backed up the dumptruck and unloaded. They seem to get a lot of
                          old computers and peripherals.