Re: 15th Century Undergarments for the Excessively Busty Woman

  • Sarah Natividad
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
      I realize that I can get by with a medieval-looking something and a regular
      bra underneath-- in fact that's what I'll be wearing for the near future.
      But I'd really like to work on a full ensemble of totally period stuff. It
      appeals to the geek in me. Also I saw a couple at an event that I went to
      in full, matching, authentic Elizabethan garb, and I was very impressed.
      There were many more people less impressively dressed who were also very
      kind and good and helpful, so I know I don't have to do this. But I want
      to. Ya know? I chose my persona because I really wanted to play her role,
      and having the full costume would really help a lot. I know that when I put
      on my 19th century corset I walked and moved differently, and I'd like to
      walk and move the way my persona would have.

      I'm just geeky that way. :)

      Thanks,
      Sarah (now officially Leonor da Costa-- I joined yesterday!)

      --
      Sarah Natividad
      http://curiousworkmanship.etsy.com

    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
        Sarah wrote:
        > I've chosen a time period to research for my persona-- early 15th
        > century in the Castile/Leon/Portugal area

        and later signed a post with the comment:
        > . . .now officially Leonor da Costa-- I joined yesterday!

        I just want to make sure you understand that putting a name on your
        membership form when you join the S.C.A. doesn't make it in any way
        "official". In order to make it your name-of-record within the
        Society, reserve it for your use alone, and in some kingdoms make it
        eligible for use on official award scrolls, you have to register it
        with the College of Arms. The details of the submission process vary
        from kingdom to kingdom and, since you didn't mention which one you're
        in (naughty, naughty!) I can't tell you exactly how to go about it, but
        your branch herald can. (If you don't have a herald handy, you should
        be able to find more info on your kingdom website.)

        Sarah also wrote:
        > I'd really like to work on a full ensemble of totally period stuff.. .
        > .I know I don't have to do this. But I want to. Ya know? I chose my
        > persona because I really wanted to play her role, and having the full
        > costume would really help a lot.. . .

        I don't know how much authenticity matters to you in areas other than
        clothing, but I thought I'd mention something, just in case.

        There was so much interaction between the Spanish and Portuguese in
        period that the combination can probably be registered. But it would
        be better re-creation to use a Portuguese personal name if you're going
        to use a Portuguese byname. ("Lionor" and "Lianor" are among the
        options from your period
        <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/portuguese/>.) Even if your
        persona spent part of her life in Portugal and part in Castile or Leon,
        it's unlikely she'd have been called by a mixed Portuguese/Spanish name
        <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html>. It's more likely
        that she'd be, for instance, "Lionor da Costa" in Portugal and "Leonor
        de Portugal"
        <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/isabella/locative.html> or
        "Leonor Cola"
        <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/isabella/surnames-other.html>
        or something in Spain.

        Of course, if you've got reliable evidence that "Leonor" was used in
        Portugal, all this is irrelevant to you. I've hardly done extensive
        research on the matter. I just know that the Academy of St. Gabriel
        found none when they investigated the name nine years ago
        <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1042>.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
          On Thursday 06 September 2007 04:06, Coblaith Mhuimhneach wrote:
          > I just want to make sure you understand that putting a name on your
          > membership form when you join the S.C.A. doesn't make it in any way
          > "official".  In order to make it your name-of-record within the
          > Society, reserve it for your use alone, and in some kingdoms make it
          > eligible for use on official award scrolls, you have to register it
          > with the College of Arms.  The details of the submission process vary
          > from kingdom to kingdom and, since you didn't mention which one you're
          > in (naughty, naughty!) I can't tell you exactly how to go about it, but
          > your branch herald can.  (If you don't have a herald handy, you should
          > be able to find more info on your kingdom website.)

          All correct, but just to clarify...

          You _can_ still use your chosen name for casual conversation, email, etc.,
          even without it being registered by the College of Arms, provided it does
          not conflict with a name someone else has already registered. For instance,
          you can't call yourself Justinos Tekton, because I have that one registered
          already. :-)

          Registering a name gives you exclusive rights to it, but it's not required
          prior to beginning to use the name casually.

          Everything Coblaith said is correct; I just wanted to add this extra bit
          of info for you, Sarah.

          Kind regards,

          keys fesswise reversed sable.