sources on Gaelic clothing (was: making garb)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2007
      sylance123 wrote:
      > . . .does anyone know any good sources for irish or scottish garb?
      > namely gaelic but i'm still unsure of what i'm truly going for in time
      > period.

      If you decide to go early-period, Finnacan Dub's "Early Gaelic Dress:
      An Introduction"
      <http://b-b-fam.home.texas.net/Coblaith/EarlyGaelicDress/default.html>
      is the place to start.

      If you decide to go late-period, consider:

      Reconstructing History's articles on late-period Irish dress
      <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/index.html>, Scottish
      clothing from "ancient times to 1600"
      <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?s=&c=8&d=117&a=134&w=2>
      and the arisaid
      <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?
      s=&c=8&d=117&a=131&w=2>,

      Medieval Scotland's clothing resources
      <http://medievalscotland.org/clothing/>, and

      the Reviewed Index of Scottish Clothing Links
      <http://www.albanach.org/review.html>.

      There are two good printed references on the history of Irish clothing,
      one of which is also among the premier resources on Scottish clothing
      history:

      _Dress in Ireland: A History_, by Mairead Dunlevy is widely available.
      You should be able to find it through Inter-Library Loan (in the
      States, at least) as well as through any number of on- and off-line
      vendors. The author has webbed a brief article on the history of
      clothing in county Clare
      <http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/costume.htm> that you
      might find somewhat useful.

      _Old Irish and Highland Dress, with Notes on That of the Isle of Man_,
      by H.F. McClintock is an older book, long out of print, which is
      difficult to find in hard copy anywhere. It is available in a PDF
      facsimile edition from Unicorn Limited
      <http://www.scotpress.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=93>.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2007
        sylance123 wrote:
        > I really like to get patterns and morph them to something else closer
        > to what i'm going for. but I've never really been able to make my own
        > patterns. i was curious to know if most of you make your garb without
        > patterns or if you use patterns already made but just redo them to
        > what you need?

        I don't need patterns--my persona wears tunics and rectangular cloaks,
        so all I need is a tape measure and a ruler. That said. . .

        Many of the experienced clothes-makers in the S.C.A. Garb Yahoo! Group
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Garb/> report finding it easier to
        draft their own patterns than to adapt ahistoric commercial patterns,
        because the latter require so *many* adaptations and each adaptation
        takes so much time and knowledge. (Consider what's involved in
        removing darts, alone
        <http://www.modehistorique.com/elizabethan/removedart.html>.) You
        don't save yourself any research, either, since you have to know how
        the garments you're emulating were made in order to plan the
        appropriate changes. That doesn't mean it can't be done. There are
        people who do it all the time
        <http://www.virtue.to/articles/modern_patterns.html>. It's just not
        necessarily a labor-saver.

        There are a few patterns on the market that are historically accurate
        to begin with. The two producers I hear about most often are
        Reconstructing History
        <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?c=22&w=24&r=Y> and
        Margo Anderson's Historic Costume Patterns
        <http://www.margospatterns.com/>. They're both known to base their
        products on solid research. And Burda <http://burdamode.com> has
        reasonably accurate patterns for a sideless surcoat with a matching
        underdress for women (number 7977) and a gown with detachable sleeves
        for girls (number 9658--the lacing shown is wrong, of course).

        > . . .doew anyone have one of those manakin (i don't know how to spell
        > it) that are specifically used for fashion, the ones that can be
        > adjusted to be certain measurements?

        The term you're looking for is "dress form".

        I have a custom brown-paper dress form, made according to the
        directions at <http://www.taunton.com/Threads/pages/t00002.asp>. I
        find it extremely useful for fitting modern clothes. However, since I
        was wearing a modern bra when it was made, anything I made on it would
        fit differently if I put it on without one, so I wouldn't use it for
        garb. It also doesn't "squish" like I do, so it wouldn't be good for
        supportive garments (like a Gothic Fitted Dress or corset) in any
        event. (That's true of most dress forms, including the ones with the
        padded covers. Unless your flesh has the consistency of the foam it's
        padded with, you can't substitute fittings on a form for fittings on
        yourself where such garments are concerned. Even using a commercial
        dress form to fit clothes worn *over* a corset isn't advisable unless
        you make some significant modifications
        <http://www.sempstress.org/patterns/draping/setup.shtml>.) On the
        other hand, my form was cheap and fairly easy to make. If I, say, wore
        a certain sort of corset under all my gowns, I'd probably just get one
        made while wearing that, and then use it to fit my S.C.A. clothes.

        > do you find that ahving one of those helps or is just nice for fine
        > tuning garb rather than building on?

        If you like to drape rather than draft, you'll probably find a dress
        form indispensable. The Sempstress site has good images and
        descriptions of how one designer uses hers for this
        <http://sempstress.org/patterns/draping/>. Don't forget that, for
        fitted clothing, it will be important that the form be *shaped like
        you*, not just have the same bust, waist, and hip measurements.

        If you prefer to work your adjustments out on paper, you'll have less
        need for a form. ("Fine tuning" is a good description of what it'd be
        for, in that case.) The Sempstress site has good information on this,
        too <http://www.sempstress.org/patterns/drafting/>.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra