Re: [SCA Newcomers] Renfaire

  • Patrick Callahan
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 1 3:37 PM
      I personally have done some research on the web and
      feel that I have a reasonable of Irish garb of the
      1540's. But I still think the "fantasy" garb archives
      the basic goal of "an attempt at medieval clothing"
      and does ad to the historic flavor of the event. I
      don't dress 1oo percent correct I wear what I want.
      "Creative Anachronism" "The Way It Should Have Been"
      and all that.

      Patrick

      The biggest problem I have with Rennies is the Chain
      Maille bikinis.

      They are so NOT period it's unbelievable. But like
      Paige said there are also people who walk around in
      fairy wings. Just not period.
    • Labhaoise O'Beachain
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 6 8:46 AM
        I've been to a few RenFaires (comercial) in my area(CT) and I will
        have to say I am pretty liberal about things (live and let live and
        all that). Some of them have been CLEARLY family events complete with
        dress and behaivior requirements. Others have been more freewheeling.
        And a third group were wild at some times and pretty tame at others.

        That being said, I would not have had a problem taking my own
        children to any of them. My daughter however thought King Richards
        Faire(MA)(the biggest) was WAY too wild for kids and was shocked that
        people had thier kids there (complete with the chainmaile bikinis
        (kids too!))

        On the other hand I am currently raising two children who are wards
        of the state and I would think twice (and ask three times) before
        bringing them to a RenFaire. There just wasn't enough line between
        acceptable areas and behaviors and the "adult stuff".

        :Labhaoise

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Pardus <Shadocat@...> wrote:

        > I've only ever been to the Georgia ren-faire. . . and I would have
        > say it has a family friendly environment. I had no idea there
        were
        > some that compared to Mardi Gras.
        >
        > - Pardus.
        >
        > jennifer w townsend wrote:
        > >

        > > Well, I have to say that when my man said he was into SCA (after
        > > explaining what that was) at first I was mortified. 'He's into
        THAT?" My