Re: [SCA Newcomers] 15th Century Undergarments for the Excessively Busty Woman

  • Bulgarelli Maria
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2007
      Personally I wear my regular bra under my garb.
      Sometimes I wear a strapless bra. But then I
      purposely cut my garb so I can wear my regular bra or
      the strapless. I just don't wear garb that I can't
      wear a regular bra with. I even wear a regular bra
      with my Kitens and pin the bra strap to the material
      so it doesn't show. There is a way to design garb so
      you can wear a regular bra.

      And being one of the blessed of Boobula I do know the
      problems associated with it.

      Maria

    • Sarah Natividad
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
        Waspi-Square: hadn't heard that one before. But yeah, that's about what
        we're looking at. Not exactly a 28G, but within a couple of numbers and
        letters of that.

        My sister said she'd be willing to help me fit a cotte like the one at
        www.cottesimple.com . I have some nice material that might work well. It
        just might work. But I still wanted to also make a different style of dress
        too, which would require a corset of some kind so that I don't, um, go
        protruding out between the bodice lacings like play-dough being squeezed in
        a sack. I found a picture of a dress I really, really wanted to copy.

        Thanks for all the suggestions! Any and all are welcome, since there's not
        one solution that will work for everything.

        --
        Sarah Natividad
        http://curiousworkmanship.etsy.com

      • Sarah Natividad
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
          I realize that I can get by with a medieval-looking something and a regular
          bra underneath-- in fact that's what I'll be wearing for the near future.
          But I'd really like to work on a full ensemble of totally period stuff. It
          appeals to the geek in me. Also I saw a couple at an event that I went to
          in full, matching, authentic Elizabethan garb, and I was very impressed.
          There were many more people less impressively dressed who were also very
          kind and good and helpful, so I know I don't have to do this. But I want
          to. Ya know? I chose my persona because I really wanted to play her role,
          and having the full costume would really help a lot. I know that when I put
          on my 19th century corset I walked and moved differently, and I'd like to
          walk and move the way my persona would have.

          I'm just geeky that way. :)

          Thanks,
          Sarah (now officially Leonor da Costa-- I joined yesterday!)

          --
          Sarah Natividad
          http://curiousworkmanship.etsy.com
          http://organicbabyfarm.blogspot.com

        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
            Sarah wrote:
            > I've chosen a time period to research for my persona-- early 15th
            > century in the Castile/Leon/Portugal area

            and later signed a post with the comment:
            > . . .now officially Leonor da Costa-- I joined yesterday!

            I just want to make sure you understand that putting a name on your
            membership form when you join the S.C.A. doesn't make it in any way
            "official". In order to make it your name-of-record within the
            Society, reserve it for your use alone, and in some kingdoms make it
            eligible for use on official award scrolls, you have to register it
            with the College of Arms. The details of the submission process vary
            from kingdom to kingdom and, since you didn't mention which one you're
            in (naughty, naughty!) I can't tell you exactly how to go about it, but
            your branch herald can. (If you don't have a herald handy, you should
            be able to find more info on your kingdom website.)

            Sarah also wrote:
            > I'd really like to work on a full ensemble of totally period stuff.. .
            > .I know I don't have to do this. But I want to. Ya know? I chose my
            > persona because I really wanted to play her role, and having the full
            > costume would really help a lot.. . .

            I don't know how much authenticity matters to you in areas other than
            clothing, but I thought I'd mention something, just in case.

            There was so much interaction between the Spanish and Portuguese in
            period that the combination can probably be registered. But it would
            be better re-creation to use a Portuguese personal name if you're going
            to use a Portuguese byname. ("Lionor" and "Lianor" are among the
            options from your period
            <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/portuguese/>.) Even if your
            persona spent part of her life in Portugal and part in Castile or Leon,
            it's unlikely she'd have been called by a mixed Portuguese/Spanish name
            <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html>. It's more likely
            that she'd be, for instance, "Lionor da Costa" in Portugal and "Leonor
            de Portugal"
            <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/isabella/locative.html> or
            "Leonor Cola"
            <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/isabella/surnames-other.html>
            or something in Spain.

            Of course, if you've got reliable evidence that "Leonor" was used in
            Portugal, all this is irrelevant to you. I've hardly done extensive
            research on the matter. I just know that the Academy of St. Gabriel
            found none when they investigated the name nine years ago
            <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1042>.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
              On Thursday 06 September 2007 04:06, Coblaith Mhuimhneach wrote:
              > I just want to make sure you understand that putting a name on your
              > membership form when you join the S.C.A. doesn't make it in any way
              > "official".  In order to make it your name-of-record within the
              > Society, reserve it for your use alone, and in some kingdoms make it
              > eligible for use on official award scrolls, you have to register it
              > with the College of Arms.  The details of the submission process vary
              > from kingdom to kingdom and, since you didn't mention which one you're
              > in (naughty, naughty!) I can't tell you exactly how to go about it, but
              > your branch herald can.  (If you don't have a herald handy, you should
              > be able to find more info on your kingdom website.)

              All correct, but just to clarify...

              You _can_ still use your chosen name for casual conversation, email, etc.,
              even without it being registered by the College of Arms, provided it does
              not conflict with a name someone else has already registered. For instance,
              you can't call yourself Justinos Tekton, because I have that one registered
              already. :-)

              Registering a name gives you exclusive rights to it, but it's not required
              prior to beginning to use the name casually.

              Everything Coblaith said is correct; I just wanted to add this extra bit
              of info for you, Sarah.

              Kind regards,

              keys fesswise reversed sable.