Re: [SCA Newcomers] Easy first garb?

  • Jeff Suzuki
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
      According to my lady (who didn't sew until she began
      participating in the SCA), T-tunics are actually
      harder to sew than Elizabethan/Italian ren outfits:
      they have fewer seams, which mean that you can't
      correct any mistakes you make.

      Having sewn a piece of garb or two myself (Elizabethan
      and Japanese), I'm inclined to agree. The *only*
      advantage a t-tunic has is that the pattern is easy.
      Twenty years ago, that was a selling point. Nowadays,
      there are so many patterns out there that the
      t-tunic's disadvantages far outweigh its single
      advantage...

      Jeffs/etc.

      --- Sarah <thswildcats@...> wrote:

      > I know everyone recommends the T-Tunic but to be
      > honest I just REALLY
      > don't like them. I haven't done much sewing before
      > so I would like
      > something fairly easy. My eventual persona will
      > probably be a 16th
      > Century English Noblewoman (of French birth) but I
      > don't really want
      > to start out with a Tudor style gown as that seems
      > like a pretty
      > complicated piece for a beginner to start with. I
      > can sew from a
      > pattern but I have no dress form and have never even
      > attempted to sew
      > garb from just a picture and/or description (thats a
      > long way off).
      > Basically I just want something I can wear to build
      > up to Tudor style
      > that is more interesting than a T-Tunic. Thanks,
      > Sarah

    • Elizabeth Cember
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
        Cheap dress form better than pretty much any commercial product:
        http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002.asp

        Elspeth

        I bring myself happiness by surrounding myself with beautiful things;
        I bring myself joy by trying to see the beauty in all things.

        I know everyone recommends the T-Tunic but to be honest I just REALLY

        don't like them. I haven't done much sewing before so I would like

        something fairly easy. My eventual persona will probably be a 16th

        Century English Noblewoman (of French birth) but I don't really want

        to start out with a Tudor style gown as that seems like a pretty

        complicated piece for a beginner to start with. I can sew from a

        pattern but I have no dress form and have never even attempted to sew

        garb from just a picture and/or description (thats a long way off).

        Basically I just want something I can wear to build up to Tudor style

        that is more interesting than a T-Tunic. Thanks, Sarah

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}