Re: [SCA Newcomers] Does anyone have a good, reasonable source for woolen mat...

  • denimgoathair
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31 8:45 PM
      -I wanted to thank the two Gracious ladies who have shared their
      links to my query. They are very good and REASONABLE. Hooray!!! Now
      perhaps I can get started on some good period garb. Thank you , Thank
      you!!! denimgoathair-- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com,
      bronwynmgn@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/30/2007 9:12:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > denimgoathair@... writes:
      >
      > <<Hello, Does anyone know a good source for wool fabric either on-
      line or
      > in the Omaha area (will be on fabric hunt there soon.)? The linen
      > discussion got me thinking and was very informative thank you. A
      > related question is what are good liners for a wool cloak or skirt
      any
      > ideas. Thank you all again>>
      >
      > Many of the on-line sources that were listed for linen also sell
      wool at
      > reasonable prices. One of the things you want to avoid, though is
      wool suiting
      > material, as it is a knit rather than a weave and it won't look
      right. There
      > is also a difference between wool and worsted which I don't truly
      understand
      > , but I'm sure someone here can explain. I know that both
      gabardine and
      > twills are good weaves to look for. Melton or coat wool is very
      thick, almost
      > felted, and makes excellent cloaks or outer garments for rainy
      events, as it
      > sheds water naturally. Tropical weight wool, if you can find it,
      is very thin
      > and light but good for lightweight outer garments; it breathes
      well so it
      > can be worn at events where the temperature is somewhat neutral or
      indoors if
      > the site is air conditioned.
      >
      > Buy more wool than you need and wash it and dry it on hot at
      least once
      > before cutting it. You will then be able to wash the garments on
      cold and hang
      > them to dry without further shrinkage. Often, unless I've spilled
      something
      > or it was a very messy event, I just put my wool out to air rather
      than
      > washing it, and use a stiff brush to get any mud off (after the
      mud dries). Since
      > it's an outer garment, it doesn't get body oils on it and doesn't
      need to be
      > washed at every wearing unless I either sweated heavily or spilled
      something
      > on it.
      >
      > As far as a liner for wool, why, linen, of course! A skirt may
      not need a
      > liner as you should be wearing a linen
      shift/chemise/petticoat/underlayer
      > under it anyway.
      >

      > Brangwayna Morgan
      > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
      > Lancaster, PA

    • Labhaoise O'Beachain
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
        I don't think it's been mentioned, but the local Goodwill has a half-
        price sale today.....

        I picked up:
        2 linen dresses
        off white
        pale yellow (complete w/tiny blue-grey flowers 'broidered in

        3 full wool skirts
        a tannish/greyish tweed
        brown
        sorta plaid pale yellow/blue-grey/pink-grey

        I've gotta pick miles of pleats out of one of the skirts but in
        exchange it must be about 4 one yard panels...

        I could have bought more but one thing at a time... I saw some pale
        yellow linen drapes(felt like recycled fiber though) and that is
        several yards a panel. There were also tons of things in silks
        (piecework/trims/fancywear), satins, and velvets. Enough to put your
        eye out...

        I also got a ton of clothes for the grands at a dollar or so apiece
        and even a dress for myself.

        Now I just need the time to stitch(HA) everything is going through
        the wash right now!

        Labhaoise
      • wendy brown
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
          The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill at? I am in North Georgia.
          On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating horses out of steel drums?
          I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
          I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
          Thank you,
          Ælfwynn
          cas46per@...

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
            My current Goodwill is in Norwich CT, but I have habituated a variety
            of Goodwills and Salvation Army sites over the years and they've all
            had decent deals and sales from time to time. Check to see what's in
            your area! And don't forget what is dated or "damaged" is still made
            from fabric, lovely fabric sometimes.....

            Labhaoise
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

            > The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill
            at? I am in North Georgia.
            > On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating
            horses out of steel drums?
            > I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
            > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick
            after eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a
            weekend of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
            > Thank you,
            > Ælfwynn
            > cas46per@...

          • Pardus
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
              GoodWill in North Georgia!
              There is a large GoodWill in Athens, Ga.
              If this is an amenable distance for you, I would be happy to give
              directions.

              - Pardus
              Barony of Bryn-Madoc

              wendy brown wrote:

              > The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill at?
              > I am in North Georgia.
              > On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating horses
              > out of steel drums?
              > I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
              > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
              > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of
              > eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
              > Thank you,
              > Ælfwynn
              > cas46per@... <mailto:cas46per%40yahoo.com>

            • wendy brown
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
                I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my favorites.
                I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the slightest plea for help.
                Have a good time at the events this fall.

                Ælfwynn
                Shire of Beau Fort

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                  In a message dated 9/3/2007 5:05:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  cas46per@... writes:

                  <<I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
                  eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating
                  food that's made the way it was made years ago. >>

                  Can't help you with your other questions, but you can find links to pretty
                  much all the period recipes you could want at the Medieval and Renaissance Food
                  Homepage:

                  _http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                    As a dumpsterjumper from a long line of same, keep your eyes open and
                    deny them nothing, anything you want can be had.....

                    Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't
                    sound right....

                    Labhaoise
                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a
                    distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
                    > I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a
                    few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my
                    favorites.
                    > I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for
                    the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be
                    around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the
                    slightest plea for help.
                    > Have a good time at the events this fall.
                    >
                    > Ælfwynn
                    > Shire of Beau Fort
                  • Denise Keppel
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                      Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                      have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                      with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                      shops will have a better and classier selection of
                      clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                      CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                      Need a vacation? Get great deals
                      to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                      http://travel.yahoo.com/
                    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                        Labhaoise wrote:
                        > Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't sound
                        > right....

                        The modern term for the medieval occupation is "rag-picker". In period
                        those so employed were apparently known as "chiffonniers" in French and
                        "patari" in Milanese. I'm not sure what the terms were in England in
                        the Middle Ages.

                        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                        Kingdom of Ansteorra
                        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                      • Jeff Suzuki
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

                          > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
                          > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend
                          > of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.

                          There's a good set of recipes at Cariadoc's miscellany (good enough to
                          have been plagiarized by Emeril, in fact...interesting story involving
                          threats of lawyers that, I'm sure, will grow in the retelling). You
                          can find the miscellany at:

                          http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

                          Jeffs/etc.
                        • David Backlin
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                            > Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                            > have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                            > with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                            > shops will have a better and classier selection of
                            > clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                            > CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                            In Arkansas, we have "Abilities Unlimited" which helps the disabled as well.
                            Their stores vary in quality, though. Some are near immaculate, some look
                            like someone backed up the dumptruck and unloaded. They seem to get a lot of
                            old computers and peripherals.