Re: [SCA Newcomers] Does anyone have a good, reasonable source for woolen mat...

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
      In a message dated 8/30/2007 9:12:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      denimgoathair@... writes:

      <<Hello, Does anyone know a good source for wool fabric either on-line or
      in the Omaha area (will be on fabric hunt there soon.)? The linen
      discussion got me thinking and was very informative thank you. A
      related question is what are good liners for a wool cloak or skirt any
      ideas. Thank you all again>>

      Many of the on-line sources that were listed for linen also sell wool at
      reasonable prices. One of the things you want to avoid, though is wool suiting
      material, as it is a knit rather than a weave and it won't look right. There
      is also a difference between wool and worsted which I don't truly understand
      , but I'm sure someone here can explain. I know that both gabardine and
      twills are good weaves to look for. Melton or coat wool is very thick, almost
      felted, and makes excellent cloaks or outer garments for rainy events, as it
      sheds water naturally. Tropical weight wool, if you can find it, is very thin
      and light but good for lightweight outer garments; it breathes well so it
      can be worn at events where the temperature is somewhat neutral or indoors if
      the site is air conditioned.

      Buy more wool than you need and wash it and dry it on hot at least once
      before cutting it. You will then be able to wash the garments on cold and hang
      them to dry without further shrinkage. Often, unless I've spilled something
      or it was a very messy event, I just put my wool out to air rather than
      washing it, and use a stiff brush to get any mud off (after the mud dries). Since
      it's an outer garment, it doesn't get body oils on it and doesn't need to be
      washed at every wearing unless I either sweated heavily or spilled something
      on it.

      As far as a liner for wool, why, linen, of course! A skirt may not need a
      liner as you should be wearing a linen shift/chemise/petticoat/underlayer
      under it anyway.

      Lancaster, PA

    • denimgoathair
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
        -I wanted to thank the two Gracious ladies who have shared their
        links to my query. They are very good and REASONABLE. Hooray!!! Now
        perhaps I can get started on some good period garb. Thank you , Thank
        you!!! denimgoathair-- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com,
        bronwynmgn@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 8/30/2007 9:12:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        > denimgoathair@... writes:
        >
        > <<Hello, Does anyone know a good source for wool fabric either on-
        line or
        > in the Omaha area (will be on fabric hunt there soon.)? The linen
        > discussion got me thinking and was very informative thank you. A
        > related question is what are good liners for a wool cloak or skirt
        any
        > ideas. Thank you all again>>
        >
        > Many of the on-line sources that were listed for linen also sell
        wool at
        > reasonable prices. One of the things you want to avoid, though is
        wool suiting
        > material, as it is a knit rather than a weave and it won't look
        right. There
        > is also a difference between wool and worsted which I don't truly
        understand
        > , but I'm sure someone here can explain. I know that both
        gabardine and
        > twills are good weaves to look for. Melton or coat wool is very
        thick, almost
        > felted, and makes excellent cloaks or outer garments for rainy
        events, as it
        > sheds water naturally. Tropical weight wool, if you can find it,
        is very thin
        > and light but good for lightweight outer garments; it breathes
        well so it
        > can be worn at events where the temperature is somewhat neutral or
        indoors if
        > the site is air conditioned.
        >
        > Buy more wool than you need and wash it and dry it on hot at
        least once
        > before cutting it. You will then be able to wash the garments on
        cold and hang
        > them to dry without further shrinkage. Often, unless I've spilled
        something
        > or it was a very messy event, I just put my wool out to air rather
        than
        > washing it, and use a stiff brush to get any mud off (after the
        mud dries). Since
        > it's an outer garment, it doesn't get body oils on it and doesn't
        need to be
        > washed at every wearing unless I either sweated heavily or spilled
        something
        > on it.
        >
        > As far as a liner for wool, why, linen, of course! A skirt may
        not need a
        > liner as you should be wearing a linen
        shift/chemise/petticoat/underlayer
        > under it anyway.
        >

        > Brangwayna Morgan
        > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
        > Lancaster, PA

      • Labhaoise O'Beachain
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
          I don't think it's been mentioned, but the local Goodwill has a half-
          price sale today.....

          I picked up:
          2 linen dresses
          off white
          pale yellow (complete w/tiny blue-grey flowers 'broidered in

          3 full wool skirts
          a tannish/greyish tweed
          brown
          sorta plaid pale yellow/blue-grey/pink-grey

          I've gotta pick miles of pleats out of one of the skirts but in
          exchange it must be about 4 one yard panels...

          I could have bought more but one thing at a time... I saw some pale
          yellow linen drapes(felt like recycled fiber though) and that is
          several yards a panel. There were also tons of things in silks
          (piecework/trims/fancywear), satins, and velvets. Enough to put your
          eye out...

          I also got a ton of clothes for the grands at a dollar or so apiece
          and even a dress for myself.

          Now I just need the time to stitch(HA) everything is going through
          the wash right now!

          Labhaoise
        • wendy brown
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
            The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill at? I am in North Georgia.
            On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating horses out of steel drums?
            I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
            I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
            Thank you,
            Ælfwynn
            cas46per@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
              My current Goodwill is in Norwich CT, but I have habituated a variety
              of Goodwills and Salvation Army sites over the years and they've all
              had decent deals and sales from time to time. Check to see what's in
              your area! And don't forget what is dated or "damaged" is still made
              from fabric, lovely fabric sometimes.....

              Labhaoise
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

              > The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill
              at? I am in North Georgia.
              > On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating
              horses out of steel drums?
              > I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
              > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick
              after eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a
              weekend of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
              > Thank you,
              > Ælfwynn
              > cas46per@...

            • Pardus
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                GoodWill in North Georgia!
                There is a large GoodWill in Athens, Ga.
                If this is an amenable distance for you, I would be happy to give
                directions.

                - Pardus
                Barony of Bryn-Madoc

                wendy brown wrote:

                > The newcomer website is all over the place. Where was this Goodwill at?
                > I am in North Georgia.
                > On another subject....does anyony have the website for creating horses
                > out of steel drums?
                > I am also looking for the drum music that's played at events.
                > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
                > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of
                > eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.
                > Thank you,
                > Ælfwynn
                > cas46per@... <mailto:cas46per%40yahoo.com>

              • wendy brown
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
                  I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my favorites.
                  I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the slightest plea for help.
                  Have a good time at the events this fall.

                  Ælfwynn
                  Shire of Beau Fort

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                    In a message dated 9/3/2007 5:05:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    cas46per@... writes:

                    <<I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
                    eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend of eating
                    food that's made the way it was made years ago. >>

                    Can't help you with your other questions, but you can find links to pretty
                    much all the period recipes you could want at the Medieval and Renaissance Food
                    Homepage:

                    _http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                      As a dumpsterjumper from a long line of same, keep your eyes open and
                      deny them nothing, anything you want can be had.....

                      Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't
                      sound right....

                      Labhaoise
                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you so much Pardus but I am afraid Athens is too far off a
                      distance for my carriage. We are in Cleveland.
                      > I hope to someday find such a deal on fabric so that I may sew a
                      few more outfits. A lady donated me a few simple ones and they are my
                      favorites.
                      > I still have to learn to work in them. I was gathering branches for
                      the fire when my gown caught a branch and I fell. It is so nice to be
                      around such caring people. There's always someone listening for the
                      slightest plea for help.
                      > Have a good time at the events this fall.
                      >
                      > Ælfwynn
                      > Shire of Beau Fort
                    • Denise Keppel
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                        Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                        have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                        with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                        shops will have a better and classier selection of
                        clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                        CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                        Need a vacation? Get great deals
                        to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                        http://travel.yahoo.com/
                      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
                          Labhaoise wrote:
                          > Say what is period for dumpsterjumper, middenhopper just doesn't sound
                          > right....

                          The modern term for the medieval occupation is "rag-picker". In period
                          those so employed were apparently known as "chiffonniers" in French and
                          "patari" in Milanese. I'm not sure what the terms were in England in
                          the Middle Ages.

                          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                          Kingdom of Ansteorra
                          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                        • Jeff Suzuki
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

                            > I am also looking for feast recipies. I'm tired of getting sick after
                            > eating out. Event food is so good and I feel so good after a weekend
                            > of eating food that's made the way it was made years ago.

                            There's a good set of recipes at Cariadoc's miscellany (good enough to
                            have been plagiarized by Emeril, in fact...interesting story involving
                            threats of lawyers that, I'm sure, will grow in the retelling). You
                            can find the miscellany at:

                            http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

                            Jeffs/etc.
                          • David Backlin
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                              > Not that I'm a serious Goodwill rater but something I
                              > have noticed is that the Goodwills that do training
                              > with folks with disabilities are just better. There
                              > shops will have a better and classier selection of
                              > clothing and goods. Look for the ones with CAREER
                              > CENTERS in them as a tip off.

                              In Arkansas, we have "Abilities Unlimited" which helps the disabled as well.
                              Their stores vary in quality, though. Some are near immaculate, some look
                              like someone backed up the dumptruck and unloaded. They seem to get a lot of
                              old computers and peripherals.