Re: [SCA Newcomers] Is it period?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2007
      In a message dated 8/29/2007 6:52:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      sarah.natividad@... writes:

      <<Does anyone happen to know if vinha d'alhos, or a dish like it, goes
      back to the middle ages?>>

      Hmmm. I don't know of any that are marinated, but there are lots of period
      recipes for various sorts of meat stewed with wine, usually onions rather
      than garlic, herbs, and often sweet spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. They
      are really tasty, too.
      I'm more familiar with Northern European cooking than southern European,
      though.

      One of my favorite period recipes, 14th century English, is essentially a
      pot roast.

      You take chuck or rib roast and put it in a pot that you can seal tightly -
      dutch oven, roasting pan, etc (the original calls for, if I remember
      correctly, a clay baker with the lid sealed shut with dough). It should be sitting on
      a rack or splints so it is not directly on the bottom of the pan. Cover
      the top with chopped onions, sprinkle with whole cloves, peppercorns, and ground
      mace, and pour a little red wine over the top, then cook it as you would a
      pot roast - in the oven - long and slow. It's wonderful, even good cold.

      Lancaster, PA