Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Sewing garb question. Patterns and Mail Order

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2007
      At 06:41 PM 8/26/2007, you wrote:
      >Also please some of us don't live
      >anywhere near a Wal-mart (I wish) and must make an 8 hr one way trip
      >to get to a large fabric store to get good period replica fabric.

      Rather than WalMart, may I suggest you do some on-line fabric shopping?

      http://www.fabrics-store.com has gorgeous linen for very reasonable prices

      http://www.fabric.com is another source for reasonably priced
      fabric--tends to be a little more seasonal as to what is available,
      but there's a reason that the proprietor is known as Evil Stephen

      http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com

      http://www.denverfabrics.com

      http://www.renaissancefabrics.net

      http://www.classactfabrics.com

      All have lovely fabric at reasonable prices I have purchased from
      all of them except renaissance fabrics, (and she's next on my list!)
      and have always been pleased with the quality and customer service
      from each of the companies. My one complaint has been that I once
      purchased a linen that I believed was burgundy, only to have it be
      more of a rich chocolate color when it arrived, which was even
      prettier than the burgundy!

      It is VERY difficult to find decent period fabrics in a brick and
      mortar store any more. So many of us are now limited to JoAnn's and
      WalMart, and they just don't serve our market very well. I'm
      fortunate enough to have a fabric outlet near me where I can find
      terrific deals, adn I still resort to buying online at times.

      Happy hunting!

      Laurensa
      Swatches are your friend.