Re: gentle folk

  • Pixie Rose
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
      We don't need no stinking court!!! (with an accent, of course!!)

      Rowen

      << I do it the easy way... I DO NOT GO TO COURT!

      ~Wolfy>>

    • Larry
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
        "Your Majesty! The Peasants are revolting!!"
        "Yes... and they smell bad too..."
        -- Marie Antoinette or Mel Brooks (I forget)

        Ahnuld

        --- Pixie Rose <pixierosedragon@...> wrote:

        > We don't need no stinking court!!! (with an accent,
        > of course!!)
        >
        > Rowen
        >
        > << I do it the easy way... I DO NOT GO TO COURT!
        >
        > ~Wolfy>>

        > removed]

      • Nicole E. Miller
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
          I was watching History of the World, Part 1 last night.

          Officer: "Your Majesty! The Peasants are revolting!!"
          The King (Brookes) replies: "I know, they stink on ice!"

          Its good to be the King,
          Sian

          =============

        • jbjt30@juno.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
            *grin* As soon as I read the message and saw Wolfy had responded I knew he would say something along those lines. ;) Don't let him scare you. ;) It isn't always that bad.
            Fa'rissa
            *grin* Yep, right after I hit "send" I realized I should have added that not going was also an option. But if your (other than Wolfy, who isn't) going to go, go as someone who would be there.

            Elspeth

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
              Dear Coblath and the original poster and to the rest of the good people on this list,
              >Persona is an entirely personal matter. You can choose any persona you
              like, or no persona at all.
              So true, I was goint to mention that if someone didn't beat me to it, thank you for saving me the trouble.

              >We have a couple of peers in our barony who "never come to events", but often "send their servants" (i.e., show up under another name, dressed as lower-class, and have a high old time). Our Baron (who holds our kingdom's highest honor for persona play, himself) typically goes along with the game. One might, for example, be given an award for service, but have the usual, "I've seen him helping out in the kitchen at every event for the past three years. . .," explanation rephrased to something like, "He's sent his servants to work in the kitchen. . .." Similarly, some members of our populace attribute their A&S efforts to "employees", offering statements like, "I'm having a dress made in the loveliest shade of crimson. My seamstress is just working on the beading of the sleeves now."

              >Alternate, lower-class personae are also popular tools for those who'd
              like to occasionally behave outrageously, without affecting their
              primary personae's reputations. There's a local Laurel who bears a
              remarkable resemblance to a certain disreputable character who shows up
              from time to time selling false letters patent or trading in debased
              coins. Nobody knows the fellow's name, and if you address him as
              "m'lord" he chortles and says something like, "Oh, I ain't no lord, me!
              Mercy! What a thought! 'Lord,' she says!" A friend of mine has an
              alternate persona that was recently called into court, chastised for
              her loose behavior (running around in public at a past event in her
              shift), accused of theft (of something belonging to her primary
              persona), and ordered to return to service with her former mistress
              (said primary persona). Her mistress' husband came in to take charge
              of her, and assured the Baron she'd be watched closely and given enough
              work to keep her out of trouble. The servant only ever shows up at
              local revels, flirts with all the men, and complains about how uptight
              her mistress is. She has everybody laughing every time she's around,
              but she's definitely not the kind of person you'd want representing the
              Barony when, say, the Queen was present.

              >What you want to remember is that, if you have a real, fully-developed
              persona, your behavior will be determined by your social position. Our
              patent-selling commoner slips away quietly when members of the guard
              are about, for example, while his Laurel doppelg´┐Żnger wouldn't hesitate
              to send one of them on an errand.
              What wonderful persona stories. I really enjoyed them. Do you have anymore? I could read for hours about fun things a persons persona gets into. These were wonderful! Thanks for sharing not just your stories but also your wise insight to this situation. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is not only do some people not have a person at all while others have an alternate persona some people even have several personas. They are all differentiated by what that person wears or what accent the use when speaking, etc. Maybe to explain differant behavior or sometimes with the garb horse to explain wearing differant types of garb from differant time periods and countries.
              So I say don't worry to much about the "were all of Noble birth" thing unless you just really want too.

              Fair the well,
              Fa'rissa of the Outlands

              >Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
              <mailto:Coblaith@...>

            • Sara
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
                As one person said to me, "The SCA is reliving the Middle Ages, the
                way it Should have been!"

                Let me remind you that woman were also not fighters (although there
                are instances of them helping defend their homes) They did not earn
                honor for doing so. Pirates were NOT Gentile folks, and democracy was
                barely begun.
                Some people get a little too uptight regarding others' personas. Just
                remember, you're there to have fun. Do what YOU enjoy the way you
                enjoy it. And if someone seems to have a problem with it, you can
                point out that you appreciate their opinion, but your doing what you
                enjoy.

                Ingela