Re: [SCA Newcomers] gentle folk

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2007
      On 8/2/07, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

      > Be whoever you want to be. You don't have to have fancy garb for court. I have seen all kinds of people in all kinds of garb in court and feast. lol...I mean, middle class would wear all the same styles as the upper class, maybe a few years behind on the latest style and made from less expensive fabrics, but it's not like the middle class wore rags anyway, If for some reason, a middle class individual did get called into to court, they would have put on their very best pieces of clothing. Not necessarily anything fancy, just the articles that are the cleanest and in the best condition.
      >
      > It is assumed that everyone in the SCA is minor nobility (meaning of noble birth, but no titles...at least not until awarded). This is so everyone can be equal within the society and so people can wear all the pretty fancy things they want to wear. If you should choose to down play your persona some and play a lower class, that is your choice. You ARE allowed to do so. It's just an assumed thing that most people want to wear all the cool fancy stuff and what not. No one will bar you from going to court or feast in middle class garb. If people give you a hard time about playing a middle class persona, then maybe you could tell them that you ran away from your noble family to marry your now dead husband and they have since disowned you because you ran away with him. Just a thought to get rid of the people giving you a hard time.

      I agree with you on all but that last thought. Just tell them you
      don't have any respect for snobs, so they should go do something
      useful. That's the polite version of what I would say.

      Scolastica
      --
      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

      If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
      'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz
    • Pardus
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2007
        Let's scope out an SCA MMORPG for XBOX online :P

      • Elizabeth Cember
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2007
          Actually, I was thinking tabletop--despite the start to this extreme tangent.

          Elspeth
          who is now contemplating bringing several more notebooks to Pennsic--just in case.

          Elizabeth Cember wrote:
          > The main difference is that SCAdian alt-holics tend to be into sewing.
          >
          > Elspeth
          > who was suddenly struck by the thought "has anyone ever ran a SCA rpg? Not based off period situations, but actually based on being in the SCA?" and whose brain hurts now.
          >
          > I bring myself happiness by surrounding myself with beautiful things;
          > I bring myself joy by trying to see the beauty in all things.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Janet
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2007
            Roflmao...I have 5 alts in WoW and barely even have a persona for the SCA...
            ~Isabel (Leonette, Ysabella, Erzbet, Petrenelle, Caeciliana...lol)
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 3, 2007
              Noooo Vivien. Say it like someone who's using
              excessive politeness as a form of insult. HEHEHE

              That's what I'd do.

              Actually no I'd be even more excessively polite and
              find a reference to the fact that the person is wrong.
              Then I'd show it to them. That actually show the
              person where they are wrong and still be polite.

              Damn my Pelican is definitely rubbing off on me.

              Maria

            • mackayjenn
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 13, 2007
                The only problem is that some people who've been playing for a long
                time forget that it's a game. :)

                My hubby does a 1st century AD Roman and boy, I could get on my
                soapbox about defending HIM for THAT choice. :) I wanted to have fun,
                so I'm doing a Roman lady in the same time period as a second persona.

                Just tell people if you ever decide to do an usual persona that
                you're trying to have FUN. (By the way, Corpora says the SCA does pre-
                1600 and doesn't mention a specific start date. You will find a copy
                of it on the main SCA site in case there's any other "early birds"
                out there getting flak.)

                Gemma Northwode

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Keppel <dkeppel@...>