Re: [SCA Newcomers] gentle folk

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
      Quoting Antonio Morejon <asmorejonms@...>:

      > I have never heard of this SCA rule.

      It's not. We are all assumed to be of Gentle Birth -- but you may
      have whatever persona that you desire -- and you may go to court. I
      mean, after all, why would a 1066 NOrman and a 1066 Saxon break bread
      together at feast!

      jerusha
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
      Division of Science and Math
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
        Viviven Hollingsworth wrote:
        > I was told only "gentlefolk" were appropriate personas -- no lower
        > class, beggers, etc.. . .Did I miss something in reading up on SCA? I
        > don't remember ever
        > seeing anything mentioned about class and rank.. . .

        Persona is an entirely personal matter. You can choose any persona you
        like, or no persona at all.

        When we say, "Everyone in the S.C.A. is assumed to be of gentle birth,"
        what we mean is that nobody is banned from activities or positions that
        would, in period, only have been available to those of gentle birth.
        In many re-enactment and living history groups, almost everybody is
        designated as lower-class, and must dress and act accordingly. This
        allows the group's re-enactments or displays to accurately reflect the
        times and events they are meant to. But it means that only certain
        people can, for instance, wear silk, or use chain mail, or have a metal
        cup to drink from. In some of these groups, one can choose which class
        to portray. In others, everybody starts off as lower-class, until
        somebody upper-class decides to quit there's no opportunity to change
        (because there can be only one leader for every band), and one can
        switch from lower- to upper-class only by taking on a whole new persona
        (because, in most periods of European history, peasants simply did not
        become nobles). That's not the way the Society has chosen to go. A
        rank newbie is entitled to dress in satin and lace, if that's what she
        wants, and someone who spends most of her time at events washing dishes
        and re-stocking toilet paper may be elevated to the peerage.

        The Society is, of course, built around activities in which serfs and
        burghers didn't engage, like tournaments and courts of honor. This is
        expressly acknowledged in the introduction to the S.C.A. Organizational
        Handbook <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf> (the governing documents of
        the Society, which you should read, if you haven't already), where is
        writ:

        > We sponsor events such as tournaments and feasts where members dress
        > in clothing styles worn in the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and
        > participate in activities based on the civil and martial skills of the
        > period. These activities recreate aspects of the life and culture of
        > the landed nobility in Europe prior to 1600 CE. The dress, pastimes,
        > and above all the chivalric ideals of the period serve to unify our
        > events and activities.

        Corpora (also part of the Organizational Handbook) states:

        > The term “Society event” refers to tournaments, feasts, and other
        > activities whereby participants can display the results of their
        > researches into the culture and technology of the period in an
        > environment which evokes the atmosphere of the pre-17th century
        > European Middle Ages and Renaissance.

        People have different ideas about how much care should be taken in the
        evocation of said atmosphere. Many feel that one detracts from it by,
        say, coming into court dressed as a servant when being called to do
        something a servant could never do in period, or serving feast wearing
        something only a high-ranking noble could afford. Some sidestep the
        issue by changing the "class" of their clothing to suit the occasion.
        Others take on alternate personae when it's time to do something their
        primary personae wouldn't. Whether that's generally expected or just
        something the more persona-conscious do for their own peace of mind
        varies from area to area. Only somebody in your own can tell you how
        it's viewed there.

        There are also some people in the Society who take persona play very
        seriously and who feel that (1) behaving the way nobles were, in
        period, expected to behave is no fun, (2) having a "medieval" or
        "Renaissance" society with no servants, farmers, tradesmen, or
        merchants is ridiculous on its face, and/or (3) there are tasks that
        must be performed at every event that one of "gentle birth" cannot
        perform without breaking persona, so the only way to maintain a
        medieval or Renaissance atmosphere and get them done is for someone to
        be "lower-class". Many of them have lower- or middle-class primary or
        alternate personae. We have a couple of peers in our barony who "never
        come to events", but often "send their servants" (i.e., show up under
        another name, dressed as lower-class, and have a high old time). Our
        Baron (who holds our kingdom's highest honor for persona play, himself)
        typically goes along with the game. One might, for example, be given
        an award for service, but have the usual, "I've seen him helping out in
        the kitchen at every event for the past three years. . .," explanation
        rephrased to something like, "He's sent his servants to work in the
        kitchen. . .." Similarly, some members of our populace attribute their
        A&S efforts to "employees", offering statements like, "I'm having a
        dress made in the loveliest shade of crimson. My seamstress is just
        working on the beading of the sleeves now."

        Alternate, lower-class personae are also popular tools for those who'd
        like to occasionally behave outrageously, without affecting their
        primary personae's reputations. There's a local Laurel who bears a
        remarkable resemblance to a certain disreputable character who shows up
        from time to time selling false letters patent or trading in debased
        coins. Nobody knows the fellow's name, and if you address him as
        "m'lord" he chortles and says something like, "Oh, I ain't no lord, me!
        Mercy! What a thought! 'Lord,' she says!" A friend of mine has an
        alternate persona that was recently called into court, chastised for
        her loose behavior (running around in public at a past event in her
        shift), accused of theft (of something belonging to her primary
        persona), and ordered to return to service with her former mistress
        (said primary persona). Her mistress' husband came in to take charge
        of her, and assured the Baron she'd be watched closely and given enough
        work to keep her out of trouble. The servant only ever shows up at
        local revels, flirts with all the men, and complains about how uptight
        her mistress is. She has everybody laughing every time she's around,
        but she's definitely not the kind of person you'd want representing the
        Barony when, say, the Queen was present.

        What you want to remember is that, if you have a real, fully-developed
        persona, your behavior will be determined by your social position. Our
        patent-selling commoner slips away quietly when members of the guard
        are about, for example, while his Laurel doppelgänger wouldn't hesitate
        to send one of them on an errand.

        If you really just want a loose back-story, that's allowed, too. In
        the S.C.A. even merchants can speak to nobles without first being
        spoken to by them, for instance, even if they wouldn't have dared in
        the periods to which they dress.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Larry
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
          WOW, and I thought "Alts" were only for video games...
          LOL

          Ahnuld the Woodsman

          --- Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...>

        • Pixie Rose
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
            We don't need no stinking court!!! (with an accent, of course!!)

            Rowen

            << I do it the easy way... I DO NOT GO TO COURT!

            ~Wolfy>>

          • Larry
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
              "Your Majesty! The Peasants are revolting!!"
              "Yes... and they smell bad too..."
              -- Marie Antoinette or Mel Brooks (I forget)

              Ahnuld

              --- Pixie Rose <pixierosedragon@...> wrote:

              > We don't need no stinking court!!! (with an accent,
              > of course!!)
              >
              > Rowen
              >
              > << I do it the easy way... I DO NOT GO TO COURT!
              >
              > ~Wolfy>>

              > removed]

            • Nicole E. Miller
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
                I was watching History of the World, Part 1 last night.

                Officer: "Your Majesty! The Peasants are revolting!!"
                The King (Brookes) replies: "I know, they stink on ice!"

                Its good to be the King,
                Sian

                =============

              • jbjt30@juno.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
                  *grin* As soon as I read the message and saw Wolfy had responded I knew he would say something along those lines. ;) Don't let him scare you. ;) It isn't always that bad.
                  Fa'rissa
                  *grin* Yep, right after I hit "send" I realized I should have added that not going was also an option. But if your (other than Wolfy, who isn't) going to go, go as someone who would be there.

                  Elspeth

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
                    Dear Coblath and the original poster and to the rest of the good people on this list,
                    >Persona is an entirely personal matter. You can choose any persona you
                    like, or no persona at all.
                    So true, I was goint to mention that if someone didn't beat me to it, thank you for saving me the trouble.

                    >We have a couple of peers in our barony who "never come to events", but often "send their servants" (i.e., show up under another name, dressed as lower-class, and have a high old time). Our Baron (who holds our kingdom's highest honor for persona play, himself) typically goes along with the game. One might, for example, be given an award for service, but have the usual, "I've seen him helping out in the kitchen at every event for the past three years. . .," explanation rephrased to something like, "He's sent his servants to work in the kitchen. . .." Similarly, some members of our populace attribute their A&S efforts to "employees", offering statements like, "I'm having a dress made in the loveliest shade of crimson. My seamstress is just working on the beading of the sleeves now."

                    >Alternate, lower-class personae are also popular tools for those who'd
                    like to occasionally behave outrageously, without affecting their
                    primary personae's reputations. There's a local Laurel who bears a
                    remarkable resemblance to a certain disreputable character who shows up
                    from time to time selling false letters patent or trading in debased
                    coins. Nobody knows the fellow's name, and if you address him as
                    "m'lord" he chortles and says something like, "Oh, I ain't no lord, me!
                    Mercy! What a thought! 'Lord,' she says!" A friend of mine has an
                    alternate persona that was recently called into court, chastised for
                    her loose behavior (running around in public at a past event in her
                    shift), accused of theft (of something belonging to her primary
                    persona), and ordered to return to service with her former mistress
                    (said primary persona). Her mistress' husband came in to take charge
                    of her, and assured the Baron she'd be watched closely and given enough
                    work to keep her out of trouble. The servant only ever shows up at
                    local revels, flirts with all the men, and complains about how uptight
                    her mistress is. She has everybody laughing every time she's around,
                    but she's definitely not the kind of person you'd want representing the
                    Barony when, say, the Queen was present.

                    >What you want to remember is that, if you have a real, fully-developed
                    persona, your behavior will be determined by your social position. Our
                    patent-selling commoner slips away quietly when members of the guard
                    are about, for example, while his Laurel doppelg�nger wouldn't hesitate
                    to send one of them on an errand.
                    What wonderful persona stories. I really enjoyed them. Do you have anymore? I could read for hours about fun things a persons persona gets into. These were wonderful! Thanks for sharing not just your stories but also your wise insight to this situation. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is not only do some people not have a person at all while others have an alternate persona some people even have several personas. They are all differentiated by what that person wears or what accent the use when speaking, etc. Maybe to explain differant behavior or sometimes with the garb horse to explain wearing differant types of garb from differant time periods and countries.
                    So I say don't worry to much about the "were all of Noble birth" thing unless you just really want too.

                    Fair the well,
                    Fa'rissa of the Outlands

                    >Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                    Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                    Kingdom of Ansteorra
                    <mailto:Coblaith@...>

                  • Sara
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
                      As one person said to me, "The SCA is reliving the Middle Ages, the
                      way it Should have been!"

                      Let me remind you that woman were also not fighters (although there
                      are instances of them helping defend their homes) They did not earn
                      honor for doing so. Pirates were NOT Gentile folks, and democracy was
                      barely begun.
                      Some people get a little too uptight regarding others' personas. Just
                      remember, you're there to have fun. Do what YOU enjoy the way you
                      enjoy it. And if someone seems to have a problem with it, you can
                      point out that you appreciate their opinion, but your doing what you
                      enjoy.

                      Ingela