Re: [SCA Newcomers] gentle folk

  • Wolfy
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2 6:38 AM
      I do it the easy way... I DO NOT GO TO COURT!

      ~Wolfy

      --
      The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)

      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
      matter and those who matter don't mind.
    • Elizabeth Cember
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2 7:37 AM
        *grin* Yep, right after I hit "send" I realized I should have added that not going was also an option. But if you (other than Wolfy, who isn't) going to go, go as someone who would be there.

        Elspeth

        --
        The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)

        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
        matter and those who matter don't mind.

      • Denise Keppel
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2 7:59 AM
          Using that logic, why would a 12th century Viking, a
          14th century German, and a 1500 Englishman be in the
          same court? It's a game, it's called playing. It's
          not to be taken that seriously.

          > > Why would a person of merchant class or lower be
          > invited to the great halls of the nobility? That's
          > the basic problem with an exclusively middle/lower
          > class persona. It doesn't actually make sense for
          > them to be at feast (except as servants) or court
          > (except as supplicants) .
          > >
          > > Feel free to have your persona be as you choose,
          > just be flexible enough to pretend to nobility when
          > in a situation that's only for the upper class.
          > >
          > > Elspeth
          >
          > --
          > The heart has reasons which reason does not know.
          > (Blaise Pascal)
          >
          > Be who you are and say what you feel because those
          > who mind don't
          > matter and those who matter don't mind.

          > removed]

          that gives answers, not web links.
        • Wolfy
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2 8:05 AM
            On 8/2/07, Denise Keppel <dkeppel@...> wrote:
            > Using that logic, why would a 12th century Viking, a
            > 14th century German, and a 1500 Englishman be in the
            > same court? It's a game, it's called playing. It's
            > not to be taken that seriously.

            They are about to get executed ? >=D

            --
            The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)

            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
            matter and those who matter don't mind.
          • Pardus
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2 8:11 AM
              Remember these quotes!
              And have fun!
              If someone doesn't like it, buy them an ale, and continue having fun!

              It's a game, it's called playing. It's
              > not to be taken that seriously.
              >
              > > > Feel free to have your persona be as you choose,
              > > just be flexible
              > >
              > > Be who you are and say what you feel because those
              > > who mind don't
              > > matter and those who matter don't mind.

            • Janet
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2 8:19 AM
                Be whoever you want to be. You don't have to have fancy garb for court. I have seen all kinds of people in all kinds of garb in court and feast. lol...I mean, middle class would wear all the same styles as the upper class, maybe a few years behind on the latest style and made from less expensive fabrics, but it's not like the middle class wore rags anyway, If for some reason, a middle class individual did get called into to court, they would have put on their very best pieces of clothing. Not necessarily anything fancy, just the articles that are the cleanest and in the best condition.

                It is assumed that everyone in the SCA is minor nobility (meaning of noble birth, but no titles...at least not until awarded). This is so everyone can be equal within the society and so people can wear all the pretty fancy things they want to wear. If you should choose to down play your persona some and play a lower class, that is your choice. You ARE allowed to do so. It's just an assumed thing that most people want to wear all the cool fancy stuff and what not. No one will bar you from going to court or feast in middle class garb. If people give you a hard time about playing a middle class persona, then maybe you could tell them that you ran away from your noble family to marry your now dead husband and they have since disowned you because you ran away with him. Just a thought to get rid of the people giving you a hard time.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2 8:41 AM
                  What's the difference between a peasant, a merchant and a noble in the SCA? Nothing unless they all behave in a manner which indicates their status. Other than regalia, clothing does not reflect status in the Society.

                  The only way to determine for certain that a person is, in fact, working class instead of just someone who didn't feel like wearing noble-ish clothing that day, is by that person's behavior.

                  So, again, go ahead and have whatever persona you wish. When in court, behave according to the standards of your local region.

                  Elspeth

                  I bring myself happiness by surrounding myself with beautiful things;
                  I bring myself joy by trying to see the beauty in all things.

                  Using that logic, why would a 12th century Viking, a
                  14th century German, and a 1500 Englishman be in the
                  same court? It's a game, it's called playing. It's
                  not to be taken that seriously.

                  > > Why would a person of merchant class or lower be
                  > invited to the great halls of the nobility? That's
                  > the basic problem with an exclusively middle/lower
                  > class persona. It doesn't actually make sense for
                  > them to be at feast (except as servants) or court
                  > (except as supplicants) .
                  > >
                  > > Feel free to have your persona be as you choose,
                  > just be flexible enough to pretend to nobility when
                  > in a situation that's only for the upper class.
                  > >
                  > > Elspeth
                  >
                  > --
                  > The heart has reasons which reason does not know.
                  > (Blaise Pascal)
                  >
                  > Be who you are and say what you feel because those
                  > who mind don't
                  > matter and those who matter don't mind.

                  > Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out
                  > Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.
                  > http://autos. yahoo.com/ carfinder/

                  > removed]

                  that gives answers, not web links.
                  http://mobile. yahoo.com/ mobileweb/ onesearch? refer=1ONXIC

                • Susan Farmer
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2 11:30 AM
                    Quoting Elizabeth Cember <sapphire_chan@...>:

                    > On 8/2/07, Elizabeth Cember <sapphire_chan@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                    >> Why would a person of merchant class or lower be invited to the
                    >> great halls of the nobility? That's the basic problem with an
                    >> exclusively middle/lower class persona. It doesn't actually make
                    >> sense for them to be at feast (except as servants) or court (except
                    >> as supplicants) .
                    >>
                    >> Feel free to have your persona be as you choose, just be flexible
                    >> enough to pretend to nobility when in a situation that's only for
                    >> the upper class.

                    Really. We don't see that where I play. The barbarians (and pesants)
                    may not be seated on the front row, but they're there -- and in
                    "persona." And they get called into court.

                    jerusha in Meridies
                    -----
                    Susan Farmer
                    sfarmer@...
                    Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                    Division of Science and Math
                  • Elizabeth Cember
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2 11:48 AM
                      Ah well, so much for my theory that the person was worried about a lack of courtly behavior then. Viviven, I suggest you go up to the person who was hassling you and ask "I just can't seem to find that rule you mentioned, and no one on any of my SCA email lists has heard of it, would you mind awfully telling me where it says that we *have* to be nobility? Thanks!" (Feel free to say it more like a normal person and less like someone who's using excessive politeness as a form of insult. = )

                      Elspeth
                      (who would just like to clarify that she never intended to imply that clothing had anything to do with this topic)

                      sfarmer@goldsword. com
                      Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                      Division of Science and Math
                      http://www.goldswor d.com/sfarmer/ Trillium/

                    • Robert Brown
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2 12:51 PM
                        In the sca you are considered to be gentry as a matter of custom. That being said the middle ages was populated by starving gentry, working gentry, and gentry that had too much money. Gentry is just an acknowledgment of birth. I am the third cousin twice removed from the duke's third wife's uncle. I am part of the noble family.
                        Court. Most courts are held at a location, for the location, i.e. the Barony of the Elden Hills, Shire of Brad Leah, etc. Even with their Majesties in attendance, they are holding it for that location, thus even the poor locals could claim right to be there. Especially in earlier period if your persona would have had a village chief/elder, or your city/state a king.
                        The only time this would be otherwise would perhaps be during Kingdom level Courts such as Crown or Coronation but...<wait for it>...since a good many peasants and working class stiffs have won crown and been coronated....if they're good enough to be there...so are you.
                        Every kingdom has a knight, duke, etc. whose persona is based upon a simple peasant, a poor eighth son, or wandering gypsy making good (by extension this also means working class widows have been queen somewhere). I would suggest finding the name of one of these "not so classy" people, and next time you're confronted..."Really? Have you Told Count so and so? Boy will he be embarrassed."

                        Gorm

                      • Kristine Elliott
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2 12:55 PM
                          On 8/2/07, Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

                          > Be whoever you want to be. You don't have to have fancy garb for court. I have seen all kinds of people in all kinds of garb in court and feast. lol...I mean, middle class would wear all the same styles as the upper class, maybe a few years behind on the latest style and made from less expensive fabrics, but it's not like the middle class wore rags anyway, If for some reason, a middle class individual did get called into to court, they would have put on their very best pieces of clothing. Not necessarily anything fancy, just the articles that are the cleanest and in the best condition.
                          >
                          > It is assumed that everyone in the SCA is minor nobility (meaning of noble birth, but no titles...at least not until awarded). This is so everyone can be equal within the society and so people can wear all the pretty fancy things they want to wear. If you should choose to down play your persona some and play a lower class, that is your choice. You ARE allowed to do so. It's just an assumed thing that most people want to wear all the cool fancy stuff and what not. No one will bar you from going to court or feast in middle class garb. If people give you a hard time about playing a middle class persona, then maybe you could tell them that you ran away from your noble family to marry your now dead husband and they have since disowned you because you ran away with him. Just a thought to get rid of the people giving you a hard time.

                          I agree with you on all but that last thought. Just tell them you
                          don't have any respect for snobs, so they should go do something
                          useful. That's the polite version of what I would say.

                          Scolastica
                          --
                          http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

                          If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
                          'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz
                        • Elizabeth Cember
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2 1:54 PM
                            The main difference is that SCAdian alt-holics tend to be into sewing.

                            Elspeth
                            who was suddenly struck by the thought "has anyone ever ran a SCA rpg? Not based off period situations, but actually based on being in the SCA?" and whose brain hurts now.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 2 2:02 PM
                              Elspeth:
                              > The main difference is that SCAdian alt-holics tend to be into sewing.

                              Hey! I resemble that remark! *heh*

                              And actually...one of my alternate personas came about because of an
                              A&S craft I got into that didn't fit with my primary persona at the
                              time.

                              > who was suddenly struck by the thought "has anyone ever ran a SCA rpg? Not based off period situations, but actually based on being in the SCA?" and whose brain hurts now.

                              *rolls 3 d6's*
                              *botches save roll*

                              Now what....? *heh*

                              Jibra'il `Attar
                              aka: Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
                              aka: Mishka Lamanov
                              aka: Jedediah Glasmon
                              aka: Decimus Saturius Praeconinus
                            • Pardus
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 2 2:02 PM
                                Let's scope out an SCA MMORPG for XBOX online :P

                              • Elizabeth Cember
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 2 2:14 PM
                                  Actually, I was thinking tabletop--despite the start to this extreme tangent.

                                  Elspeth
                                  who is now contemplating bringing several more notebooks to Pennsic--just in case.

                                  Elizabeth Cember wrote:
                                  > The main difference is that SCAdian alt-holics tend to be into sewing.
                                  >
                                  > Elspeth
                                  > who was suddenly struck by the thought "has anyone ever ran a SCA rpg? Not based off period situations, but actually based on being in the SCA?" and whose brain hurts now.
                                  >
                                  > I bring myself happiness by surrounding myself with beautiful things;
                                  > I bring myself joy by trying to see the beauty in all things.

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Janet
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 2 3:56 PM
                                    Roflmao...I have 5 alts in WoW and barely even have a persona for the SCA...
                                    ~Isabel (Leonette, Ysabella, Erzbet, Petrenelle, Caeciliana...lol)
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 3 7:35 AM
                                      Noooo Vivien. Say it like someone who's using
                                      excessive politeness as a form of insult. HEHEHE

                                      That's what I'd do.

                                      Actually no I'd be even more excessively polite and
                                      find a reference to the fact that the person is wrong.
                                      Then I'd show it to them. That actually show the
                                      person where they are wrong and still be polite.

                                      Damn my Pelican is definitely rubbing off on me.

                                      Maria

                                    • mackayjenn
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 13 3:53 PM
                                        The only problem is that some people who've been playing for a long
                                        time forget that it's a game. :)

                                        My hubby does a 1st century AD Roman and boy, I could get on my
                                        soapbox about defending HIM for THAT choice. :) I wanted to have fun,
                                        so I'm doing a Roman lady in the same time period as a second persona.

                                        Just tell people if you ever decide to do an usual persona that
                                        you're trying to have FUN. (By the way, Corpora says the SCA does pre-
                                        1600 and doesn't mention a specific start date. You will find a copy
                                        of it on the main SCA site in case there's any other "early birds"
                                        out there getting flak.)

                                        Gemma Northwode

                                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Keppel <dkeppel@...>