gentle folk

  • jimmielou111
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2 5:28 AM
      Something was brought up to me at my SCA meeting last night that had
      never occured to me. I mentioned to someone that my husband was
      considering a certain kind of persona and was told that only lower
      class folk took that particular job. "So what?" I asked. I was told
      only "gentlefolk" were appropriate personas -- no lower class,
      beggers, etc. I asked why and was told it had something to do with
      court but being such a newcomer I didn't understand what he meant and
      didn't have time to press the matter.
      My persona was to be "middle class", a merchant's widow. Can there be
      no middle class, only upper class? What is the definition of "gentle
      folk"? It seems to me it would be better to have a broad spectrum of
      people to truly represent medieval society. I did ask about pirates
      since I have seen several postings of people who want to be pirates
      and was told most pirate personas are captains and of a higher rank.
      Did I miss something in reading up on SCA? I don't remember ever
      seeing anything mentioned about class and rank. Maybe I just missed it.

      Viviven Hollingsworth
    • Antonio Morejon
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2 7:59 AM
        I have never heard of this SCA rule.
        It would be dumb for this to be so, for without a blacksmith a Knight would have no armour or weapons, without a stable keeper where would a Knight keep his horse, without a fair serving wench or tavern keeper where would a knight enjoy his mead, who would miniter to the aristocracy if not pages and ladies in waiting.
        All thru history the so called lower class has been the backbone of society and an honorable gentle Lord or a gentle Ladie should take this into consideration.

        Honor, Valor and Justice
        Sir Tony More of the Scarlet Dragon

        jimmielou111 <jimmielou111@...> wrote:
[...]

        A.S.Morejon
        A.S.Morejon Multiple Services
        Money, Music & Enlightenment
        " We Do It All "

      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2 8:17 AM
          Quoth "jimmielou111":
          > class folk took that particular job. "So what?" I asked. I was told
          > only "gentlefolk" were appropriate personas -- no lower class,
          > beggers, etc. I asked why and was told it had something to do with
          > court but being such a newcomer I didn't understand what he meant and
          > didn't have time to press the matter.

          All that Corpora says is that "All participants are expected to behave
          as ladies or gentlemen."

          It is possible to have a lower-class persona and still behave as a
          lady or gentleman, but it isn't possible, say, to play a thief or a
          and still be a gentleman. The generally assumption among participants
          is that everyone is gentry or higher, but this is not a rule and there
          are people who play exceptions.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2 8:43 AM
            I must agree. The SCA has the custom (it's not a
            RULE) that all people in the SCA are of noble birth
            unles they specifically choose not to be. There are
            many people here in Ansteorra who have chosen this (it
            is less hot to be a peasant).

            But as I said, it's not a RULE. There are really only
            a few rules in the SCA, everything else is just
            custom.

            Maria

          • Susan Farmer
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2 11:34 AM
              Quoting Antonio Morejon <asmorejonms@...>:

              > I have never heard of this SCA rule.

              It's not. We are all assumed to be of Gentle Birth -- but you may
              have whatever persona that you desire -- and you may go to court. I
              mean, after all, why would a 1066 NOrman and a 1066 Saxon break bread
              together at feast!

              jerusha
              -----
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
              Division of Science and Math
            • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2 12:37 PM
                Viviven Hollingsworth wrote:
                > I was told only "gentlefolk" were appropriate personas -- no lower
                > class, beggers, etc.. . .Did I miss something in reading up on SCA? I
                > don't remember ever
                > seeing anything mentioned about class and rank.. . .

                Persona is an entirely personal matter. You can choose any persona you
                like, or no persona at all.

                When we say, "Everyone in the S.C.A. is assumed to be of gentle birth,"
                what we mean is that nobody is banned from activities or positions that
                would, in period, only have been available to those of gentle birth.
                In many re-enactment and living history groups, almost everybody is
                designated as lower-class, and must dress and act accordingly. This
                allows the group's re-enactments or displays to accurately reflect the
                times and events they are meant to. But it means that only certain
                people can, for instance, wear silk, or use chain mail, or have a metal
                cup to drink from. In some of these groups, one can choose which class
                to portray. In others, everybody starts off as lower-class, until
                somebody upper-class decides to quit there's no opportunity to change
                (because there can be only one leader for every band), and one can
                switch from lower- to upper-class only by taking on a whole new persona
                (because, in most periods of European history, peasants simply did not
                become nobles). That's not the way the Society has chosen to go. A
                rank newbie is entitled to dress in satin and lace, if that's what she
                wants, and someone who spends most of her time at events washing dishes
                and re-stocking toilet paper may be elevated to the peerage.

                The Society is, of course, built around activities in which serfs and
                burghers didn't engage, like tournaments and courts of honor. This is
                expressly acknowledged in the introduction to the S.C.A. Organizational
                Handbook <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf> (the governing documents of
                the Society, which you should read, if you haven't already), where is
                writ:

                > We sponsor events such as tournaments and feasts where members dress
                > in clothing styles worn in the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and
                > participate in activities based on the civil and martial skills of the
                > period. These activities recreate aspects of the life and culture of
                > the landed nobility in Europe prior to 1600 CE. The dress, pastimes,
                > and above all the chivalric ideals of the period serve to unify our
                > events and activities.

                Corpora (also part of the Organizational Handbook) states:

                > The term “Society event” refers to tournaments, feasts, and other
                > activities whereby participants can display the results of their
                > researches into the culture and technology of the period in an
                > environment which evokes the atmosphere of the pre-17th century
                > European Middle Ages and Renaissance.

                People have different ideas about how much care should be taken in the
                evocation of said atmosphere. Many feel that one detracts from it by,
                say, coming into court dressed as a servant when being called to do
                something a servant could never do in period, or serving feast wearing
                something only a high-ranking noble could afford. Some sidestep the
                issue by changing the "class" of their clothing to suit the occasion.
                Others take on alternate personae when it's time to do something their
                primary personae wouldn't. Whether that's generally expected or just
                something the more persona-conscious do for their own peace of mind
                varies from area to area. Only somebody in your own can tell you how
                it's viewed there.

                There are also some people in the Society who take persona play very
                seriously and who feel that (1) behaving the way nobles were, in
                period, expected to behave is no fun, (2) having a "medieval" or
                "Renaissance" society with no servants, farmers, tradesmen, or
                merchants is ridiculous on its face, and/or (3) there are tasks that
                must be performed at every event that one of "gentle birth" cannot
                perform without breaking persona, so the only way to maintain a
                medieval or Renaissance atmosphere and get them done is for someone to
                be "lower-class". Many of them have lower- or middle-class primary or
                alternate personae. We have a couple of peers in our barony who "never
                come to events", but often "send their servants" (i.e., show up under
                another name, dressed as lower-class, and have a high old time). Our
                Baron (who holds our kingdom's highest honor for persona play, himself)
                typically goes along with the game. One might, for example, be given
                an award for service, but have the usual, "I've seen him helping out in
                the kitchen at every event for the past three years. . .," explanation
                rephrased to something like, "He's sent his servants to work in the
                kitchen. . .." Similarly, some members of our populace attribute their
                A&S efforts to "employees", offering statements like, "I'm having a
                dress made in the loveliest shade of crimson. My seamstress is just
                working on the beading of the sleeves now."

                Alternate, lower-class personae are also popular tools for those who'd
                like to occasionally behave outrageously, without affecting their
                primary personae's reputations. There's a local Laurel who bears a
                remarkable resemblance to a certain disreputable character who shows up
                from time to time selling false letters patent or trading in debased
                coins. Nobody knows the fellow's name, and if you address him as
                "m'lord" he chortles and says something like, "Oh, I ain't no lord, me!
                Mercy! What a thought! 'Lord,' she says!" A friend of mine has an
                alternate persona that was recently called into court, chastised for
                her loose behavior (running around in public at a past event in her
                shift), accused of theft (of something belonging to her primary
                persona), and ordered to return to service with her former mistress
                (said primary persona). Her mistress' husband came in to take charge
                of her, and assured the Baron she'd be watched closely and given enough
                work to keep her out of trouble. The servant only ever shows up at
                local revels, flirts with all the men, and complains about how uptight
                her mistress is. She has everybody laughing every time she's around,
                but she's definitely not the kind of person you'd want representing the
                Barony when, say, the Queen was present.

                What you want to remember is that, if you have a real, fully-developed
                persona, your behavior will be determined by your social position. Our
                patent-selling commoner slips away quietly when members of the guard
                are about, for example, while his Laurel doppelgänger wouldn't hesitate
                to send one of them on an errand.

                If you really just want a loose back-story, that's allowed, too. In
                the S.C.A. even merchants can speak to nobles without first being
                spoken to by them, for instance, even if they wouldn't have dared in
                the periods to which they dress.

                Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                Kingdom of Ansteorra
                <mailto:Coblaith@...>
              • Larry
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2 1:35 PM
                  WOW, and I thought "Alts" were only for video games...
                  LOL

                  Ahnuld the Woodsman

                  --- Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...>

                • Pixie Rose
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3 7:43 AM
                    We don't need no stinking court!!! (with an accent, of course!!)

                    Rowen

                    << I do it the easy way... I DO NOT GO TO COURT!

                    ~Wolfy>>

                  • Larry
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3 9:34 AM
                      "Your Majesty! The Peasants are revolting!!"
                      "Yes... and they smell bad too..."
                      -- Marie Antoinette or Mel Brooks (I forget)

                      Ahnuld

                      --- Pixie Rose <pixierosedragon@...> wrote:

                      > We don't need no stinking court!!! (with an accent,
                      > of course!!)
                      >
                      > Rowen
                      >
                      > << I do it the easy way... I DO NOT GO TO COURT!
                      >
                      > ~Wolfy>>

                      > removed]

                    • Nicole E. Miller
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3 9:53 AM
                        I was watching History of the World, Part 1 last night.

                        Officer: "Your Majesty! The Peasants are revolting!!"
                        The King (Brookes) replies: "I know, they stink on ice!"

                        Its good to be the King,
                        Sian

                        =============

                      • jbjt30@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3 12:57 PM
                          *grin* As soon as I read the message and saw Wolfy had responded I knew he would say something along those lines. ;) Don't let him scare you. ;) It isn't always that bad.
                          Fa'rissa
                          *grin* Yep, right after I hit "send" I realized I should have added that not going was also an option. But if your (other than Wolfy, who isn't) going to go, go as someone who would be there.

                          Elspeth

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3 1:31 PM
                            Dear Coblath and the original poster and to the rest of the good people on this list,
                            >Persona is an entirely personal matter. You can choose any persona you
                            like, or no persona at all.
                            So true, I was goint to mention that if someone didn't beat me to it, thank you for saving me the trouble.

                            >We have a couple of peers in our barony who "never come to events", but often "send their servants" (i.e., show up under another name, dressed as lower-class, and have a high old time). Our Baron (who holds our kingdom's highest honor for persona play, himself) typically goes along with the game. One might, for example, be given an award for service, but have the usual, "I've seen him helping out in the kitchen at every event for the past three years. . .," explanation rephrased to something like, "He's sent his servants to work in the kitchen. . .." Similarly, some members of our populace attribute their A&S efforts to "employees", offering statements like, "I'm having a dress made in the loveliest shade of crimson. My seamstress is just working on the beading of the sleeves now."

                            >Alternate, lower-class personae are also popular tools for those who'd
                            like to occasionally behave outrageously, without affecting their
                            primary personae's reputations. There's a local Laurel who bears a
                            remarkable resemblance to a certain disreputable character who shows up
                            from time to time selling false letters patent or trading in debased
                            coins. Nobody knows the fellow's name, and if you address him as
                            "m'lord" he chortles and says something like, "Oh, I ain't no lord, me!
                            Mercy! What a thought! 'Lord,' she says!" A friend of mine has an
                            alternate persona that was recently called into court, chastised for
                            her loose behavior (running around in public at a past event in her
                            shift), accused of theft (of something belonging to her primary
                            persona), and ordered to return to service with her former mistress
                            (said primary persona). Her mistress' husband came in to take charge
                            of her, and assured the Baron she'd be watched closely and given enough
                            work to keep her out of trouble. The servant only ever shows up at
                            local revels, flirts with all the men, and complains about how uptight
                            her mistress is. She has everybody laughing every time she's around,
                            but she's definitely not the kind of person you'd want representing the
                            Barony when, say, the Queen was present.

                            >What you want to remember is that, if you have a real, fully-developed
                            persona, your behavior will be determined by your social position. Our
                            patent-selling commoner slips away quietly when members of the guard
                            are about, for example, while his Laurel doppelg�nger wouldn't hesitate
                            to send one of them on an errand.
                            What wonderful persona stories. I really enjoyed them. Do you have anymore? I could read for hours about fun things a persons persona gets into. These were wonderful! Thanks for sharing not just your stories but also your wise insight to this situation. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is not only do some people not have a person at all while others have an alternate persona some people even have several personas. They are all differentiated by what that person wears or what accent the use when speaking, etc. Maybe to explain differant behavior or sometimes with the garb horse to explain wearing differant types of garb from differant time periods and countries.
                            So I say don't worry to much about the "were all of Noble birth" thing unless you just really want too.

                            Fair the well,
                            Fa'rissa of the Outlands

                            >Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                            Kingdom of Ansteorra
                            <mailto:Coblaith@...>

                          • Sara
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 3 11:22 PM
                              As one person said to me, "The SCA is reliving the Middle Ages, the
                              way it Should have been!"

                              Let me remind you that woman were also not fighters (although there
                              are instances of them helping defend their homes) They did not earn
                              honor for doing so. Pirates were NOT Gentile folks, and democracy was
                              barely begun.
                              Some people get a little too uptight regarding others' personas. Just
                              remember, you're there to have fun. Do what YOU enjoy the way you
                              enjoy it. And if someone seems to have a problem with it, you can
                              point out that you appreciate their opinion, but your doing what you
                              enjoy.

                              Ingela