Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Period names

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
      On 7/26/07, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:
      > Quoth Pardus:
      > > If there is documentation, such as an excerpt from a historical book or
      > > record that gives conceivable proof of a period name, is that usually
      > > acceptable as registerable?
      >
      > It depends on the type of book.
      >
      > History text books in general are unfortunately not very useful.
      > This is because most authors, for modern audiences, convert all
      > of the names to their standard modern forms. So history books
      > can tell you that *some* form of a name was in use at a certain
      > time in a certain place, but not *what* form of the name was.
      > Often, this can be an excellent place to start your research,
      > but a poor place to end your research.

      The example of this I love to drag out is the French heroine Joan of
      Arc. Obviously "of" is Modern English, and possibly less obviously,
      Joan is an English given name. Modern French books refer to her as
      Jeanne d'Arc. That's at least a French name. However, a look at a
      biography of her that included photos of documents referring to her in
      period show that she signed things as "Jehanne" (or perhaps her
      secretary signed them on her behalf) and that the written records of
      her trial referred to her as "Jehanne la Pucelle". So, at the very
      least, modern French histories tend to modernize Jehanne to Jeanne.
      They also appear to have chosen to use assign to her her father's
      epithet, which she may or may not have actually used in her lifetime.

      Such are some of the pitfalls of depending on history books for name
      documentation.

      Scolastica
      --
      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

      If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
      'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz