Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Period names

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26 1:19 PM
      On 7/26/07, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:
      > Quoth Pardus:
      > > If there is documentation, such as an excerpt from a historical book or
      > > record that gives conceivable proof of a period name, is that usually
      > > acceptable as registerable?
      >
      > It depends on the type of book.
      >
      > History text books in general are unfortunately not very useful.
      > This is because most authors, for modern audiences, convert all
      > of the names to their standard modern forms. So history books
      > can tell you that *some* form of a name was in use at a certain
      > time in a certain place, but not *what* form of the name was.
      > Often, this can be an excellent place to start your research,
      > but a poor place to end your research.

      The example of this I love to drag out is the French heroine Joan of
      Arc. Obviously "of" is Modern English, and possibly less obviously,
      Joan is an English given name. Modern French books refer to her as
      Jeanne d'Arc. That's at least a French name. However, a look at a
      biography of her that included photos of documents referring to her in
      period show that she signed things as "Jehanne" (or perhaps her
      secretary signed them on her behalf) and that the written records of
      her trial referred to her as "Jehanne la Pucelle". So, at the very
      least, modern French histories tend to modernize Jehanne to Jeanne.
      They also appear to have chosen to use assign to her her father's
      epithet, which she may or may not have actually used in her lifetime.

      Such are some of the pitfalls of depending on history books for name
      documentation.

      Scolastica
      --
      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

      If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
      'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 27 5:48 AM
        Quoth Pardus:
        > 1. "The Memoirs of James, Marquis of Montrose, 1639-1650"
        > 2. "The Spottiswoode Miscellany: A Collection Of Original Papers and
        > Tracts, Illustrative Chiefly of the Civil and Ecclesiastical History of
        > Scotland"
        > 3. "Calendar of Entries in the Papal Registers Relating to Great Britain
        > and Ireland: Papal Letters Vol IV A.D. 1362-1404

        Googlebooks are currently only available to people in the US. Can
        you list the authors and publication info of these books? They
        look interesting and I'd like to see if I can get them via my
        library.

        > I believe that books one and two are referring to the same person,
        > however the surname has been spelled differently. (Which is exactly the
        > sort of thing you said happens)

        Yup. It sounds like you've definitely stumbled upon some useful
        material here.

        -Aryanhwy (in Drachenwald)

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 27 6:57 AM
          Sara L Uckelman wrote:

          > Quoth Pardus:
          > > 1. "The Memoirs of James, Marquis of Montrose, 1639-1650"
          > > 2. "The Spottiswoode Miscellany: A Collection Of Original Papers and
          > > Tracts, Illustrative Chiefly of the Civil and Ecclesiastical History of
          > > Scotland"
          > > 3. "Calendar of Entries in the Papal Registers Relating to Great Britain
          > > and Ireland: Papal Letters Vol IV A.D. 1362-1404
          >
          > Googlebooks are currently only available to people in the US. Can
          > you list the authors and publication info of these books? They
          > look interesting and I'd like to see if I can get them via my
          > library.

          T'would be my pleasure!
          1. "The Memoirs of James, Marquis of Montrose, 1639-1650"
          By George Wishart
          Published 1893
          Longmans, Green and Co

          2. "The Spottiswoode Miscellany: . . .
          By James Maidment
          Published 1844
          The Spottiswoode society

          3. "Calendar of Entries in the Papal Registers . . .
          By Great Britain Public
          Records Office, Irish
          Manuscripts Commission
          , Archivio vaticano
          Published 1902
          Printed for H. M
          . Stationery Off., by
          Eyre and Spottiswoode

          > > I believe that books one and two are referring to the same person,
          > > however the surname has been spelled differently. (Which is exactly the
          > > sort of thing you said happens)
          >
          > Yup. It sounds like you've definitely stumbled upon some useful
          > material here.

          Wonderful. Thank you!
          - Pardus.
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 27 7:27 AM
            Quoth Pardus:
            > > Googlebooks are currently only available to people in the US. Can
            > > you list the authors and publication info of these books? They
            > > look interesting and I'd like to see if I can get them via my
            > > library.
            > >
            > T'would be my pleasure!

            Thank you much, my lord!

            -Aryanhwy