Re: [SCA Newcomers] names

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 20, 2007
      Quoth Mary West:
      > One more question that hadn't occurred to me til I read your reply -- if my m
      > aiden name was Holms (found in 15th century London records) but my last husba
      > nd was a Hollingsworth, would I be Vivien Holms or Hollingsworth? Would my la
      > st name change with every new husband as it does in the modern world? Did any
      > women use both names as in Vivien Holms Hollingsworth?

      I've found no evidence for women using both their maiden surname and
      their married surname at the same time (in pre-1600 England, that is).
      However, it's quite reasonable to use <Holms> in some circumstances
      and <Hollingsworth> in others. In the editions of the 1541 and 1582
      subsidy rolls of London edited by R.G. Lang, there are many women
      listed as <Mistress X> for which the editor has a footnote referencing
      another taxation list where she is referred to as <Mistress Y>.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/