Cool or weird?

  • Sarah Natividad
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2007
      Whenever I do something for the first time, I usually go way overboard
      in trying to prep for it, so I need some input into whether this thing
      I'm thinking of to make would be something cool that would put
      everyone in awe, or would just be too over-the-top and make me look weird.

      I want to make a medieval counting board.

      I have a side interest in historical mathematics, and one of the
      interesting things I've come across is the counting board, which is a
      cousin of the abacus. It was used for the same sort of purpose as an
      abacus, for doing some basic four-function arithmetic, before (and
      also after) the importation of the Hindu-Arabic numerals to Europe.
      It would be very, very easy to make and use. Since my "persona"
      (vaguely formed as it is) is a Portuguese trader, it could plausibly
      be in context.

      Cool, or weird?

      Thanks,
      Sarah