Re: Levels in the SCA

  • katfletcher
    Message 1 of 2565 , Mar 11, 2001
      Dear Leah,<br><br>Welcome! And congrats on your
      daughter!! I have raised one in the SCA and she is still
      interested and active at age 9. It can be great fun and
      matching garb can be soooo cute!<br>You asked about levels
      in the SCA. There are really not that many. On the
      local level you will have your basic group. It may be a
      Barony, Shire, Canton, College, etc. I suspect there may
      be regional variations on how those all go together
      but suffice it to say that Baronies are bigger and
      have a Baron and/or Baroness "in charge." Cantons are
      smaller groups that are part of a Barony (at least around
      here!) Shires are smaller groups that are independent of
      the Barony they are in the middle of. Colleges are
      usually part of a mundane college or university and are
      part of the parent Barony.<br>Over these will be a
      Kingdom. There might be a Principality in between as I
      have here. There are two kinds of Principalities,
      those that are headed for Kingdom status and those that
      intend to stay Principalities. Kingdoms all report to
      the Board of Directors. When I say report to, I
      pretty much mean just that. It is the administration
      side of things. There is no part higher than Kingdom
      that does non-business stuff.<br>There are numerous
      "unofficial" smaller groups, most of them called households.
      These can range from 2-3 people just hanging out
      together to one of the largest, The Great Darke Horde,
      which recreates the Mongol influence. Since households
      have no official part in the structure of the Society,
      they really vary as to structure and what their goals
      are. You can belong to several households at once (if
      the households permit.)<br>That is a short version of
      structure in the SCA. It has a bit more detail than that
      but actually, not much! And it may be different where
      you are.<br>Hope this helps at least
      somewhat!!<br>Kathryn
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003