Pavilion Suggestions

  • Adrienne
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
      Hail!

      First question is: Has anyone ever had experiences with Wyrdthyng's
      pavilions?

      http://wyrdethyngs.com/pavillions.htm

      I have been considering their Viking A frame tent; but would like to
      find some opinions before investing the funds.

      Alternatively, I am hoping to find a smaller sized tent (preferrably
      Norse, but I'm really not picky, or worried about the encampment
      completely matching this early) that I can purchase to use. It will
      probably be just for myself and my things, my husband will probably
      only attend maybe one or two events a year with me, and my little guy
      would enjoy his time more right now with Grandma and Grandpa than with
      Mom "watching people talk", so most of the events I go to for the next
      couple years will be just me. I just want something big enough for me
      to sleep in, and easy enough that I can put it up by myself whether it
      is light or dark outside.

      Suggestions are very gratefully accepted!

      In service,
      Adrienne of Ravenshore
      Kingdom of the West
    • Bulgarelli Maria
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
        Personally, I'm not sure you're going to find any kind
        of period pavilion that's easy to put up alone. If
        you don't expect to have a companion with you, I'd get
        a nice modern tent. Dome tents especially are easy to
        put up and they aren't even CLOSE to as heavy as a
        period pavilion.

        As far as the company you spoke of, I've never heard
        of them. I've slept in Panther Primitives Pavilions
        and they seem very nice. But like I said, it takes 2
        people at least to put one up and that's if you don't
        put walls on it. If you put walls on, it takes at
        least 2 on the inside to get the wall up and straight
        and I've always seen at least one other person on the
        outside making sure the tent poles are inside and the
        ropes are outside the walls.

        Have fun if you do decide to get a period pavilion,
        but I'd have to say if you're intending to go alone to
        events and don't expect people to help you every
        second, I'd get a nice big dome tent and not worry
        about the period pavilion. I've been in 10 years and
        don't have a period pavilion.

        Maria
        --- Adrienne <apollia@...> wrote:

        > Hail!
        >
        > First question is: Has anyone ever had experiences
        > with Wyrdthyng's
        > pavilions?
        >
        > http://wyrdethyngs.com/pavillions.htm
        >
        > I have been considering their Viking A frame tent;
        > but would like to
        > find some opinions before investing the funds.
        >
        > Alternatively, I am hoping to find a smaller sized
        > tent (preferrably
        > Norse, but I'm really not picky, or worried about
        > the encampment
        > completely matching this early) that I can purchase
        > to use. It will
        > probably be just for myself and my things, my
        > husband will probably
        > only attend maybe one or two events a year with me,
        > and my little guy
        > would enjoy his time more right now with Grandma and
        > Grandpa than with
        > Mom "watching people talk", so most of the events I
        > go to for the next
        > couple years will be just me. I just want something
        > big enough for me
        > to sleep in, and easy enough that I can put it up by
        > myself whether it
        > is light or dark outside.
        >
        > Suggestions are very gratefully accepted!
        >
        > In service,
        > Adrienne of Ravenshore
        > Kingdom of the West

      • iamsibilla
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          I agree with Maria as far as using a modern nylon tent for easy use
          and setup when you are alone. (No one will think less of you for it)
          However, I understand the desire to have something period, and if
          this is the case, I humbly suggest a small canvas wedge tent. It can
          be put up alone, but I do not recommend it, due to the fact putting
          it up at the wrong angle will split the risers. Pray you think upon
          this…there are always people around. What better way to make new
          friends than to introduce yourself and ask, "Would you mind giving me
          a hand with my tent?" There are so many friendly people in the SCA
          and most of them willing to help. All you need to do is ask.

          ~Sibilla~
          Gleann Abhann

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Adrienne" <apollia@...> wrote:

          > Hail!
          >
          > First question is: Has anyone ever had experiences with Wyrdthyng's
          > pavilions?
          >
          > http://wyrdethyngs.com/pavillions.htm
          >
          > I have been considering their Viking A frame tent; but would like to
          > find some opinions before investing the funds.
          >
          > Alternatively, I am hoping to find a smaller sized tent (preferrably
          > Norse, but I'm really not picky, or worried about the encampment
          > completely matching this early) that I can purchase to use. It will
          > probably be just for myself and my things, my husband will probably
          > only attend maybe one or two events a year with me, and my little
          guy
          > would enjoy his time more right now with Grandma and Grandpa than
          with
          > Mom "watching people talk", so most of the events I go to for the
          next
          > couple years will be just me. I just want something big enough for
          me
          > to sleep in, and easy enough that I can put it up by myself whether
          it
          > is light or dark outside.
          >
          > Suggestions are very gratefully accepted!
          >
          > In service,
          > Adrienne of Ravenshore
          > Kingdom of the West

        • Bulgarelli Maria
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
            Thanks Sibilla. I know that the Wedge can be nice and
            small.

            Adrianne, The other thing you want to remember is that
            with a viking A-Frame the poles are REALLY long. On
            the smallest one they have advertised the poles are
            probably around 12 feet long. You've got 4 of them.
            Then you've got a ridge pole which on that smallest is
            10 feet and the poles on the bottom that hold the
            a-frame together that are 10 feet. so that's 4 12
            foot poles and 3 10 foot poles, just on that smallest
            a-frame that is 10 X 10 and 8 feet tall at the ridge.

            With a wedge you'll have 3 poles total that are at
            maximum 7 or 8 feet. One on each end and one for the
            ridge. With an oval or round or marquee you'll have
            one pole about every 3 feet around. Those will be
            about 6 - 8 feet tall.

            If you really plan on doing the period pavilion thing
            I'd also say to check out Pantha Primitives.
            Their web site is http://www.pantherprimitives.com/
            and there's also Tentsmiths http://www.tentsmiths.com/
            TentMasters http://www.geocities.com/tentmasters/
            and a few more. I'd check for different ones online.

            Maria

          • Failend Bhallach
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
              You may want to check out www.midwesttent.com I think their prices are much better.

[...]

              YIS
              to the dream,
              Failend Bhallach

              www.oakheart.net

              mka: Terion Miller-Rose

            • Patrick Callahan
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
                Panther Primitives has Viking Wedge Tent that is

                7’ X 8’ X 7’

                I am not recommending it as I have no experience with
                that particular product. However, Panther usually has
                pretty a high quality. Panther's Tipi Lodges are
                legendary among Native American Pow-Wow goers because
                they are made strong, fully reinforced, and and will
                stand up to the weather. (Panther Primitives is not
                paying me for this commercial.)

                Anyways: I think it would be possible, that a small
                "A-Frame" could be to set up a by one person. For many
                years I camped in a Panther Dwarf Wall Tent with
                Medieval Colors. It was about that same size and if I
                needed to I could put it up with by myself, though
                having a second made the job a little easier.

                Krezye Padreyk