Making Chainmail

  • Thomas Beckett
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3 7:39 AM
      Hi there, new to the group :)
      I was wondering what tools, supplies and instructions are needed to
      make some chainmail. Is it best to start out making a full shirt or
      should I try something smaller first. I've been looking into the
      different ring types and it gets a little confusing, what would you
      recommend for the ring type and the gauge?
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3 12:45 PM
        Thomas Beckett wrote:
        > I was wondering what tools, supplies and instructions are needed to
        > make some chainmail.

        Sara's Chainmail Connection has an annotated list of "Beginner's
        Guides" <http://www.chainmailconnection.com/beginner_s_guides.html>;
        you might be able to get your immediate questions answered through one
        or more of them.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Wolfy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3 12:51 PM
          All you need is wire, something to twist it around, pair of cutters,
          two pairs of pliers....
          And a whole lot of time to kill...
          I've been doing chainmail for the past 10 years and might know a thing or two.
          Throw me an off-list email and I'll be glad to walk you through a few things.

          ~Wolfy

          --
          The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)
        • Kyla
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3 1:28 PM
            Hello,

            You might try searching the Armour Archive website.
            This is a site for and by armour makers of all sorts and periods - from
            leather to chain to full plate.
            I'm sure they have specific directions for making rings, and putting them
            together in specific period/location styles.
            (There are several!)
            There are also links to suppliers of wire and cut rings, if you would prefer
            to do that.
            You didn't say if you were doing butted rings, or riveted rings, and what
            you need and how difficult it will be to make depend on that.
            (Butted is much easier, but riveted is uncommon in period.)
            There are also several types and styles of riveted mail, depending on
            location/period.
            I'm sure this subject has been discussed on the Archive, so you should
            search for it.

            The website is:
            http://www.armourarchive.org/

            Here is an essay on maille safety:
            http://www.armourarchive.org/essays/essay__PoD_maille_safety.shtml

            Here is an essay in riveted mail:
            http://www.armourarchive.org/essays/rivet_revgeorge/

            Here is a diagram for various pieces on mail armour:
            http://www.armourarchive.org/essays/reddwarf_chainlegs_diagram.jpg

            Here are excerpts from the book Practical Chainmail In The Current Middle
            Ages:
            http://www.armourarchive.org/essays/book__practical_chainmail/practical_chai
            nmail.shtml

            Here is a period/location comparison of chain rings:
            http://www.armourarchive.org/essays/essay__maille_timetable.shtml

            There is a search the Archive button at the bottom of the FAQ sheet.

            Kyla Pennywarden, CCK
            Ravenslake, Middle Kingdom,
            Midrealm

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4 6:27 AM
              Thanks for the great resources :)
            • Steve Pote
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4 1:00 PM
                Cheap (free) and easy (sort of)
                The *first* piece I ever made was from coat hangers (most are 14g mild steel) twisted around a wooden handled spoon (~1/4 diameter). I made an aventail for a helm before all the hangers in the house were gone.
                Straighen the hanger, twist it to a spring around the spoon handle, then clip it once each turn with a bolt cutter (or realy good snips or nippers).
                This will give you about 20 links a hanger.
                European 4:1 butted maille is the most common weave, it was in use for >1000 years from Egypt through Rome until it was made obsolete by rapier and gunpowder (well, shark suits are still 4:1). Try this pattern first, don't make plans on something big, just go for a keychain and work up.
                I like snub nose pliers, but any will do (especially the ones you already have).
                If you get a few keychains and still like it...then make plans for a hauberk or learn the jewelery weaves, get a mandrel, good wire, etc.

                Thomas Beckett <TBeck_82@...> wrote:
                Hi there, new to the group :)
                I was wondering what tools, supplies and instructions are needed to
                make some chainmail. Is it best to start out making a full shirt or
                should I try something smaller first. I've been looking into the
                different ring types and it gets a little confusing, what would you
                recommend for the ring type and the gauge?

              • Rob
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4 1:13 PM
                  Greetings

                  > Cheap (free) and easy (sort of)
                  > The *first* piece I ever made was from coat hangers (most are 14g
                  > mild steel) twisted around a wooden handled spoon (~1/4 diameter). I
                  > made an aventail for a helm before all the hangers in the house were
                  > gone.

                  Thats a great easy way to do get started. Thank you for that bit of
                  info. And boy is my wife0 gonna be ticked when she gets home and
                  clothes are all over the place =)

                  In Service
                  Atsumori
                • Failend Bhallach
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 4 4:09 PM
                    I am rollin all over the floor thinking about the disappearing hangers....LMAO too funny!!

                    Rob <drunken-savage@...> wrote: Greetings

                    > Cheap (free) and easy (sort of)
                    > The *first* piece I ever made was from coat hangers (most are 14g
                    > mild steel) twisted around a wooden handled spoon (~1/4 diameter). I
                    > made an aventail for a helm before all the hangers in the house were
                    > gone.

                    Thats a great easy way to do get started. Thank you for that bit of
                    info. And boy is my wife0 gonna be ticked when she gets home and
                    clothes are all over the place =)

                    In Service
                    Atsumori

                    YIS
                    to the dream,
                    Failend Bhallach

                    www.oakheart.net

                    mka: Terion Miller-Rose

                  • Pardus
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 5 6:03 AM
                      With my first chainmail experience,I used;

                      A coil of 16 gauge galvanized steel wire from Lowe's
                      A 3/8" wooden dowel to coil the wire around.
                      End nippers (cutters)
                      Needle-nose pliers.

                      A nail. (Drill a hole in each end of the dowel. Put the nail through one
                      end of the dowel for a mechanical advantage when coiling your wire.)

                      Start out by just making a bunch of rings.
                      The coil will look like a spring when you pull it off the dowel.

                      You can make a chain mantle, and later turn it into a shirt if you wish.

                      - Pardus.

                      Thomas Beckett wrote:

                      > Hi there, new to the group :)
                      > I was wondering what tools, supplies and instructions are needed to
                      > make some chainmail. Is it best to start out making a full shirt or
                      > should I try something smaller first. I've been looking into the
                      > different ring types and it gets a little confusing, what would you
                      > recommend for the ring type and the gauge?

                    • Bran ap Rees
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 5 7:04 AM
                        Now you must also imagine running short at home (No ...more ...wire hangers...) then hitting relatives and friends for thiers (including clearing my mother's closets by doubling clothes on single plastic hangers). My greatest moment was when the restaurant I was a Chef at started a new laundry service - where all our uniforms came on new ones.

                        I've since moved to the 14g galvenized clothesline from Walmart (for most stuff) and 12g mild steel (from the Ring Lord - a great resource) for anything to be worn on the List.

                        All three of my children (13, 10, 5) have done projects as well - the eldest classic armour bits, the middle armour gauge jewelery (knightly box and byzantine weaves) and the wee one - jewelery weight precious bits. On a long trip I will pack a big coffee can of cut links and a couple sets of pliers in the back of the car and will have swatches of maille when we arive.

                        Did I mention we go through a lot of vacuum cleaners? I've cleaned the family room with three steps; magnet, garden rake, then vacuum...
                        YIS
                        Bran (like the flakes)

                        Failend Bhallach <failend_bhallach@...> wrote:
                        I am rollin all over the floor thinking about the disappearing hangers....LMAO too funny!!

                        Rob <drunken-savage@...> wrote: Greetings

                        > Cheap (free) and easy (sort of)
                        > The *first* piece I ever made was from coat hangers (most are 14g
                        > mild steel) twisted around a wooden handled spoon (~1/4 diameter). I
                        > made an aventail for a helm before all the hangers in the house were
                        > gone.

                        Thats a great easy way to do get started. Thank you for that bit of
                        info. And boy is my wife0 gonna be ticked when she gets home and
                        clothes are all over the place =)

                        In Service
                        Atsumori

                        YIS
                        to the dream,
                        Failend Bhallach

                        www.oakheart.net

                        mka: Terion Miller-Rose

                      • Sarah Natividad
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 6 6:56 AM
                          My brother makes his chainmail rings by attaching a threaded rod (like a
                          giant bolt, only with no point and no head) to a power drill. Then he holds
                          the wire at the right height (adjusting the level as it winds down the rod)
                          and runs the drill to wind the wire, keeping the wire steady so that it goes
                          with the threads of the rod. When he's filled the rod he reverses the drill
                          and, holding the wire in his gloved hand, basically unscrews it from the rod
                          to make a "spring" of wire, which he then cuts into rings.

                          --
                          Sarah Natividad
                          http://curiousworkmanship.etsy.com