Re: [SCA Newcomers] dating kilts

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007

      Elspeth wrote:
      > And didn't "plaid" mean "fold" back when?

      "Plaid" originally meant something between "cloak" and "blanket".
      Around the middle of the 17th century, some began to use "plaid" to
      refer to the patterns woven into the fabric, which 'til then were (and
      today are, in some places) called "tartan". (See the site mentioned
      above for citations.)

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra