[SCA Newcomers] Re: SCA terms (was On not being a fried egg at events)

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
      And here we see the differences between kingdoms and usages as well
      as common usage and proper usage.

      Everything I put out, (other than the heraldry stuf cuz, I'm NOT a
      herald) is common usage in this area.

      And thus the fun of "being seperated by a common language" occurs.

      Lesson to take away from this?

      When in Rome do as the Romans do. If you don't know what the Romans
      are doing... ASK. You make more friends that way and you understand
      a lot more too.

      Ian the Green

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

      > Forgive the top-posting.  I hate this email program, it won't let
      me cut and paste only what I want to say.
      > "Erik" is used pretty much only in the West and possibly
      neighboring kingdoms.  It's really an old joke from when the rope
      used to mark the list field had red pennants on it and was referred
      to as "Erik the Red".  It's not a medieval term.  The proper
      medieval terms is "Lists" - yes, in the plural; "the fighters are in
      the lists".
      > Royal Presence: In the East, at least, people don't bow to the
      empty thrones, and I've only seen the rule about not carrying
      weapons be enforced in court, not if you happen to meet their
      Majesties in the marketplace or something.

      > Live steel is technically sharpened steel weapons as opposed to
      blunted steel or other sorts.

      > Peers and Royal Peers are not interchangeable terms.  Royal peers
      are those who have won crown or coronet tourneys - dukes, duchesses,
      counts, viscounts, etc - whereas peers are the Knsights, Laurel, and
      Pelicans.

      > Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll
      leave it to the heralds to explain.  Shield is a piece of armament
      where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry
      itself.

      > Brangwayna Morgan
      > Shire of Silver Rylle East Kingdom
      > Lancaster PA

    • jay davis
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
        Just what is Dead Steel?

        rusr. john of antioche
      • Elizabeth Cember
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
          Not sharp.

          "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
          I woke and saw that life was duty,
          I acted and behold, duty was joy"
          -- Rabinranath Tagore

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
            true, but i like my answer better. lol john of antioche

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Cember
            <sapphire_chan@...> wrote:

            > Not sharp.
            >
            > "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
            > I woke and saw that life was duty,
            > I acted and behold, duty was joy"
            > -- Rabinranath Tagore

          • Dianne & Greg Stucki
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
              At 01:42 PM 7/2/2007, you wrote:
              > Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll
              >leave it to the heralds to explain. Shield is a piece of armament
              >where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry
              >itself. >>

              In a nutshell, your arms (or device) say "This is
              ME." Your badge says "This is MINE".

              Your arms are flown on your banner or whatever
              when you are present. Your badge can be used to
              mark things that belong to you, physical
              possessions, the livery of servants, etcetera.

              Laurensa