Re: [SCA Newcomers] Stripes and Printed Fabrics

  • Jibra'il 'Attar.
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 2, 2007
      Coblaith:
      > One caveat, not so much for Adrienne as for others who might be reading
      > along: Stripes are definitely known much earlier than the 16th
      > century, but in some places at some times they had negative
      > connotations. There's a whole book about it, probably with an emphasis
      > on France, available from the Columbia Press
      > <http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup/catalog/data/023112/0231123663.HTM>.
      >
      > Those *really* serious about authenticity will want to check for signs
      > that stripes were or weren't used by respectable folk in their periods
      > of choice. If you're not so serious, don't worry about it. Odds are,
      > even if you're dressed to suit a period in which stripes were
      > associated with "undesirables", nobody will think anything at all of
      > stripes on your clothing. I only bring it up because it's not the sort
      > of thing that is likely to spontaneously occur to people, and learning
      > about it *after* they've made stripy clothing from a "stripes are bad"
      > period has the potential to drive the authenticity-minded a little
      > cuckoo.

      Absolutely! In doing research into Turkish and Persian garb, I've
      found that stripes were used in two ways: 1) for the outer coats of
      the lower classes (ie: those who farmed the land, were servants, etc)
      and 2) for pants material (which was almost ALWAYS covered up in the
      long run anyway). The pants, in fact, are almost always pinstriped in
      appearance when there are stripes at all.

      So yes...do look carefully at the images of who is wearing striped
      garb. You might be saying you're of a much lower station that you
      might intend to be.

      Jibra'il.
      * who IS making a striped outer coat for those days when he's "working
      with his hands" and/or being a "Servant-for-a-Day".
    • Janet
      Message 48 of 48 , Dec 12, 2008
        I used the 5.3 ounce weight for dresses and tunics.
        ~Isabel