Re: [SCA Newcomers] Stripes and Printed Fabrics

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 2, 2007
      Adrienne of Ravenshore

      Lisabeth of Gyldenholt wrote:
      > If you want to do garb from the 16th century, woven stripes are period
      > for commoner and queen, according to The Tudor Tailor. Since stripes
      > are more easily woven than other patterns, I would think it might be a
      > pattern done much earlier in time.

      One caveat, not so much for Adrienne as for others who might be reading
      along: Stripes are definitely known much earlier than the 16th
      century, but in some places at some times they had negative
      connotations. There's a whole book about it, probably with an emphasis
      on France, available from the Columbia Press
      <http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup/catalog/data/023112/0231123663.HTM>.

      Those *really* serious about authenticity will want to check for signs
      that stripes were or weren't used by respectable folk in their periods
      of choice. If you're not so serious, don't worry about it. Odds are,
      even if you're dressed to suit a period in which stripes were
      associated with "undesirables", nobody will think anything at all of
      stripes on your clothing. I only bring it up because it's not the sort
      of thing that is likely to spontaneously occur to people, and learning
      about it *after* they've made stripy clothing from a "stripes are bad"
      period has the potential to drive the authenticity-minded a little
      cuckoo.

      Coblaith@...
    • Janet
      Message 48 of 48 , Dec 12 4:17 PM
        I used the 5.3 ounce weight for dresses and tunics.
        ~Isabel