Re: SCA terms (was On not being a fried egg at events)

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2007
      Field of Honor - Place where combat takes place. (Used lots of
      places)

      Erik - Area for combat, single or melee. ( I know it is/was used in
      the West Kingdom)

      List Field - Area for combat, single or melee. (Used lots of places.)

      Royal Presence - 1) Where the Thrones are set up. (Generally
      considered polite to bow to the royal presence when crossing in
      front of it even if their majesties are not there.)
      2) Within 10' of their Majesties. Don't carry real weapons (this
      includes your knife) into the Royal Presence. Its rude and there
      may be a guard that disarms you politely. Its a fun part of the
      game. (Exception. Knights and Masters of Arms are allowed in many
      Kingdoms to carry real weapons into the Royal Presence)

      Live Steel - Real metal weapons. Makes a distinction from the
      rattan/pratice blade weapons we use for combat in the SCA. (Begs
      the question then of Just what is Dead Steel? Still haven't gotten
      an answer to that one!)

      Peer AKA Royal Peer - Those who are in the Order of the Chivalry
      (Knights and Masters of Arms), Order of the Laurel and Order fo the
      Pelican. Good folks to get to know on averge.

      BoD - Board of Directors.

      Corpora - The body of rules for the SCA.

      Brass hats, Hats, Pointy Hats - Those that wear a crown or coronet.
      Not to be confused with the normal use of the word hat which is also
      used in the SCA. This is done with the direct intention of
      confusing everone, not just newcomers. :-) Or so it seems anyway.

      Mundane - Someone not in the SCA. Kinda rude to use around them as
      it also means BORING to most people.

      Badge/Device/Shield - Pretty picture that is your symbol. (Oh, I'm
      soooo gonna get hunted down by a herald for that one.)

      Hospitaler - Chatelain(e)- Newcomer's Greeter and helper.

      Chatelain(e) - Hospitaler - Newcomer's Greeter and helper.

      Gold Key - Loaner Garb

      garb –noun 1. a fashion or mode of dress, esp. of a distinctive,
      uniform kind: in the garb of a monk.
      2. wearing apparel; clothes.
      3. outward appearance or form.
      –verb (used with object) 4. to dress; clothe.

      Troll - Check in at an event. Also used as an information point
      sometimes.

      Gate - Check in at an event. Also used as an information point
      sometimes.

      Well those are some common polite things I have found newcomers need
      help with.

      Ian the Green
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2007
        Forgive the top-posting.  I hate this email program, it won't let me cut and paste only what I want to say.
        "Erik" is used pretty much only in the West and possibly neighboring kingdoms.  It's really an old joke from when the rope used to mark the list field had red pennants on it and was referred to as "Erik the Red".  It's not a medieval term.  The proper medieval terms is "Lists" - yes, in the plural; "the fighters are in the lists".
        Royal Presence: In the East, at least, people don't bow to the empty thrones, and I've only seen the rule about not carrying weapons be enforced in court, not if you happen to meet their Majesties in the marketplace or something.

        Live steel is technically sharpened steel weapons as opposed to blunted steel or other sorts.

        Peers and Royal Peers are not interchangeable terms.  Royal peers are those who have won crown or coronet tourneys - dukes, duchesses, counts, viscounts, etc - whereas peers are the Knsights, Laurel, and Pelicans.

        Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll leave it to the heralds to explain.  Shield is a piece of armament where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry itself.

        Brangwayna Morgan
        Shire of Silver Rylle East Kingdom
        Lancaster PA

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
          And here we see the differences between kingdoms and usages as well
          as common usage and proper usage.

          Everything I put out, (other than the heraldry stuf cuz, I'm NOT a
          herald) is common usage in this area.

          And thus the fun of "being seperated by a common language" occurs.

          Lesson to take away from this?

          When in Rome do as the Romans do. If you don't know what the Romans
          are doing... ASK. You make more friends that way and you understand
          a lot more too.

          Ian the Green

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

          > Forgive the top-posting.  I hate this email program, it won't let
          me cut and paste only what I want to say.
          > "Erik" is used pretty much only in the West and possibly
          neighboring kingdoms.  It's really an old joke from when the rope
          used to mark the list field had red pennants on it and was referred
          to as "Erik the Red".  It's not a medieval term.  The proper
          medieval terms is "Lists" - yes, in the plural; "the fighters are in
          the lists".
          > Royal Presence: In the East, at least, people don't bow to the
          empty thrones, and I've only seen the rule about not carrying
          weapons be enforced in court, not if you happen to meet their
          Majesties in the marketplace or something.

          > Live steel is technically sharpened steel weapons as opposed to
          blunted steel or other sorts.

          > Peers and Royal Peers are not interchangeable terms.  Royal peers
          are those who have won crown or coronet tourneys - dukes, duchesses,
          counts, viscounts, etc - whereas peers are the Knsights, Laurel, and
          Pelicans.

          > Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll
          leave it to the heralds to explain.  Shield is a piece of armament
          where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry
          itself.

          > Brangwayna Morgan
          > Shire of Silver Rylle East Kingdom
          > Lancaster PA

        • jay davis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
            Just what is Dead Steel?

            rusr. john of antioche
          • Elizabeth Cember
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
              Not sharp.

              "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
              I woke and saw that life was duty,
              I acted and behold, duty was joy"
              -- Rabinranath Tagore

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                true, but i like my answer better. lol john of antioche

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Cember
                <sapphire_chan@...> wrote:

                > Not sharp.
                >
                > "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
                > I woke and saw that life was duty,
                > I acted and behold, duty was joy"
                > -- Rabinranath Tagore

              • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                  At 01:42 PM 7/2/2007, you wrote:
                  > Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll
                  >leave it to the heralds to explain. Shield is a piece of armament
                  >where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry
                  >itself. >>

                  In a nutshell, your arms (or device) say "This is
                  ME." Your badge says "This is MINE".

                  Your arms are flown on your banner or whatever
                  when you are present. Your badge can be used to
                  mark things that belong to you, physical
                  possessions, the livery of servants, etcetera.

                  Laurensa