Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: SCA terms (was On not being a fried egg at events)

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1 9:36 AM
      <<I was very pleased with the "Cross-disciplinary
      Glossary of Terms for Historical Hobbyists" until I
      came across this clunker.

      Garb:SCA. Historical clothing, or "costuming" among
      Renfaire participants. "Serious" re-enactors and
      costumers avoid the term garb so they are not mistaken
      for SCAdians.>>

      Well, you have to realize that this is a page set up by very serious historical re-enactors, and that many of them view the SCA as not nearly serious enough.? They are right, from their point of view.? We don't make a necessity or even necessarily a virtue of putting effort into getting what we do historically accurate.
      On the other hand, there are places on that page where they note that "Contrary to popular opinion, there are people in the SCA who are serious about getting it right".? So they do balance it out. But it's a simple truth that many hard-core re-enactors do not use the term garb and that they don't want to be mistaken for SCAdians, who on average do not put in the same effort in that area as most re-enactment groups.

      Lancaster, PA

    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1 12:40 PM
        Field of Honor - Place where combat takes place. (Used lots of
        places)

        Erik - Area for combat, single or melee. ( I know it is/was used in
        the West Kingdom)

        List Field - Area for combat, single or melee. (Used lots of places.)

        Royal Presence - 1) Where the Thrones are set up. (Generally
        considered polite to bow to the royal presence when crossing in
        front of it even if their majesties are not there.)
        2) Within 10' of their Majesties. Don't carry real weapons (this
        includes your knife) into the Royal Presence. Its rude and there
        may be a guard that disarms you politely. Its a fun part of the
        game. (Exception. Knights and Masters of Arms are allowed in many
        Kingdoms to carry real weapons into the Royal Presence)

        Live Steel - Real metal weapons. Makes a distinction from the
        rattan/pratice blade weapons we use for combat in the SCA. (Begs
        the question then of Just what is Dead Steel? Still haven't gotten
        an answer to that one!)

        Peer AKA Royal Peer - Those who are in the Order of the Chivalry
        (Knights and Masters of Arms), Order of the Laurel and Order fo the
        Pelican. Good folks to get to know on averge.

        BoD - Board of Directors.

        Corpora - The body of rules for the SCA.

        Brass hats, Hats, Pointy Hats - Those that wear a crown or coronet.
        Not to be confused with the normal use of the word hat which is also
        used in the SCA. This is done with the direct intention of
        confusing everone, not just newcomers. :-) Or so it seems anyway.

        Mundane - Someone not in the SCA. Kinda rude to use around them as
        it also means BORING to most people.

        Badge/Device/Shield - Pretty picture that is your symbol. (Oh, I'm
        soooo gonna get hunted down by a herald for that one.)

        Hospitaler - Chatelain(e)- Newcomer's Greeter and helper.

        Chatelain(e) - Hospitaler - Newcomer's Greeter and helper.

        Gold Key - Loaner Garb

        garb –noun 1. a fashion or mode of dress, esp. of a distinctive,
        uniform kind: in the garb of a monk.
        2. wearing apparel; clothes.
        3. outward appearance or form.
        –verb (used with object) 4. to dress; clothe.

        Troll - Check in at an event. Also used as an information point
        sometimes.

        Gate - Check in at an event. Also used as an information point
        sometimes.

        Well those are some common polite things I have found newcomers need
        help with.

        Ian the Green
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1 1:51 PM
          Forgive the top-posting.  I hate this email program, it won't let me cut and paste only what I want to say.
          "Erik" is used pretty much only in the West and possibly neighboring kingdoms.  It's really an old joke from when the rope used to mark the list field had red pennants on it and was referred to as "Erik the Red".  It's not a medieval term.  The proper medieval terms is "Lists" - yes, in the plural; "the fighters are in the lists".
          Royal Presence: In the East, at least, people don't bow to the empty thrones, and I've only seen the rule about not carrying weapons be enforced in court, not if you happen to meet their Majesties in the marketplace or something.

          Live steel is technically sharpened steel weapons as opposed to blunted steel or other sorts.

          Peers and Royal Peers are not interchangeable terms.  Royal peers are those who have won crown or coronet tourneys - dukes, duchesses, counts, viscounts, etc - whereas peers are the Knsights, Laurel, and Pelicans.

          Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll leave it to the heralds to explain.  Shield is a piece of armament where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry itself.

          Brangwayna Morgan
          Shire of Silver Rylle East Kingdom
          Lancaster PA

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2 10:42 AM
            And here we see the differences between kingdoms and usages as well
            as common usage and proper usage.

            Everything I put out, (other than the heraldry stuf cuz, I'm NOT a
            herald) is common usage in this area.

            And thus the fun of "being seperated by a common language" occurs.

            Lesson to take away from this?

            When in Rome do as the Romans do. If you don't know what the Romans
            are doing... ASK. You make more friends that way and you understand
            a lot more too.

            Ian the Green

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

            > Forgive the top-posting.  I hate this email program, it won't let
            me cut and paste only what I want to say.
            > "Erik" is used pretty much only in the West and possibly
            neighboring kingdoms.  It's really an old joke from when the rope
            used to mark the list field had red pennants on it and was referred
            to as "Erik the Red".  It's not a medieval term.  The proper
            medieval terms is "Lists" - yes, in the plural; "the fighters are in
            the lists".
            > Royal Presence: In the East, at least, people don't bow to the
            empty thrones, and I've only seen the rule about not carrying
            weapons be enforced in court, not if you happen to meet their
            Majesties in the marketplace or something.

            > Live steel is technically sharpened steel weapons as opposed to
            blunted steel or other sorts.

            > Peers and Royal Peers are not interchangeable terms.  Royal peers
            are those who have won crown or coronet tourneys - dukes, duchesses,
            counts, viscounts, etc - whereas peers are the Knsights, Laurel, and
            Pelicans.

            > Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll
            leave it to the heralds to explain.  Shield is a piece of armament
            where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry
            itself.

            > Brangwayna Morgan
            > Shire of Silver Rylle East Kingdom
            > Lancaster PA

          • jay davis
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2 4:32 PM
              Just what is Dead Steel?

              rusr. john of antioche
            • Elizabeth Cember
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2 7:00 PM
                Not sharp.

                "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
                I woke and saw that life was duty,
                I acted and behold, duty was joy"
                -- Rabinranath Tagore

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3 8:37 AM
                  true, but i like my answer better. lol john of antioche

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Cember
                  <sapphire_chan@...> wrote:

                  > Not sharp.
                  >
                  > "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
                  > I woke and saw that life was duty,
                  > I acted and behold, duty was joy"
                  > -- Rabinranath Tagore

                • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3 9:15 AM
                    At 01:42 PM 7/2/2007, you wrote:
                    > Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll
                    >leave it to the heralds to explain. Shield is a piece of armament
                    >where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry
                    >itself. >>

                    In a nutshell, your arms (or device) say "This is
                    ME." Your badge says "This is MINE".

                    Your arms are flown on your banner or whatever
                    when you are present. Your badge can be used to
                    mark things that belong to you, physical
                    possessions, the livery of servants, etcetera.

                    Laurensa