triangles of dots (was: Fabric Patterns)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
      Brangwayna Morgan wrote:
      > For 12th century England/France, other than the wide stripes, I've
      > seen very little evidence of patterned fabric. There's one psalter
      > manuscript that shows a pattern of three dots grouped in a triangle on
      > a lot of the clothes but on further study I realized that it is pretty
      > much only on Mary or Jesus and not on any secular figures, so it's
      > probably not appropriate for me to make something with that pattern.

      That pattern is referred to as "estencele". It represents sparks, and
      is a fairly popular medieval decorative motif which is also used in
      heraldry.

      Whether it was seen on clothing in your period, I don't know. But
      maybe you can find more information now that you know what it's called.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>