Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: SCA terms (was On not being a fried egg at events)

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2007
      In a message dated 6/27/2007 8:23:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      mullberrymae@... writes:

      <<Speaking of other SCA used terms how about lets start a list of them that
      ppl have heard, it would be very helpful to us noob's. not to mention worth
      some laughs>>

      "Interkingdom anthropology" is my favorite, referring to the differences in
      culture between various kingdoms. When you get into detail on it, there are
      actually categories of how kingdoms do things, based on whether they learned
      about the SCA from books or directly from other people, or which parent
      kingdom they came from.

      It's not all SCA terms by a long stretch, but there is a very funny
      re-enactor's glossary at this site:

      _http://www.historicgames.com/glossary.html_
      (http://www.historicgames.com/glossary.html)

      There is also a link at the top of that page to a collection for dumb patron
      questions and comments that various re-enactors have heard from the public
      over the years. I think my favorite one is one submitted by a Viking-era
      Norse re-enactor in Norway, who was asked if there are still "Viking
      reservations" in that country...

      Lancaster, PA

    • Terion
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2007
        Brangwayna Morgan posted:

        "who was asked if there are still "Viking
        reservations" in that country..."

        Nearly fell out of my chair!!! and Still laughing!!

        Terion

      • Patrick Callahan
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 30, 2007
          Try the Scottish Eggs, there pretty good, when you can
          find them, common breakfast fare in places I have played.

          Krezye Padreyk
        • Patrick Callahan
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 30, 2007
            I was very pleased with the "Cross-disciplinary
            Glossary of Terms for Historical Hobbyists" until I
            came across this clunker.

            Garb:SCA. Historical clothing, or "costuming" among
            Renfaire participants. "Serious" re-enactors and
            costumers avoid the term garb so they are not mistaken
            for SCAdians.

          • bronwynmgn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2007
              <<I was very pleased with the "Cross-disciplinary
              Glossary of Terms for Historical Hobbyists" until I
              came across this clunker.

              Garb:SCA. Historical clothing, or "costuming" among
              Renfaire participants. "Serious" re-enactors and
              costumers avoid the term garb so they are not mistaken
              for SCAdians.>>

              Well, you have to realize that this is a page set up by very serious historical re-enactors, and that many of them view the SCA as not nearly serious enough.? They are right, from their point of view.? We don't make a necessity or even necessarily a virtue of putting effort into getting what we do historically accurate.
              On the other hand, there are places on that page where they note that "Contrary to popular opinion, there are people in the SCA who are serious about getting it right".? So they do balance it out. But it's a simple truth that many hard-core re-enactors do not use the term garb and that they don't want to be mistaken for SCAdians, who on average do not put in the same effort in that area as most re-enactment groups.

              Lancaster, PA

            • David Roland
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2007
                Field of Honor - Place where combat takes place. (Used lots of
                places)

                Erik - Area for combat, single or melee. ( I know it is/was used in
                the West Kingdom)

                List Field - Area for combat, single or melee. (Used lots of places.)

                Royal Presence - 1) Where the Thrones are set up. (Generally
                considered polite to bow to the royal presence when crossing in
                front of it even if their majesties are not there.)
                2) Within 10' of their Majesties. Don't carry real weapons (this
                includes your knife) into the Royal Presence. Its rude and there
                may be a guard that disarms you politely. Its a fun part of the
                game. (Exception. Knights and Masters of Arms are allowed in many
                Kingdoms to carry real weapons into the Royal Presence)

                Live Steel - Real metal weapons. Makes a distinction from the
                rattan/pratice blade weapons we use for combat in the SCA. (Begs
                the question then of Just what is Dead Steel? Still haven't gotten
                an answer to that one!)

                Peer AKA Royal Peer - Those who are in the Order of the Chivalry
                (Knights and Masters of Arms), Order of the Laurel and Order fo the
                Pelican. Good folks to get to know on averge.

                BoD - Board of Directors.

                Corpora - The body of rules for the SCA.

                Brass hats, Hats, Pointy Hats - Those that wear a crown or coronet.
                Not to be confused with the normal use of the word hat which is also
                used in the SCA. This is done with the direct intention of
                confusing everone, not just newcomers. :-) Or so it seems anyway.

                Mundane - Someone not in the SCA. Kinda rude to use around them as
                it also means BORING to most people.

                Badge/Device/Shield - Pretty picture that is your symbol. (Oh, I'm
                soooo gonna get hunted down by a herald for that one.)

                Hospitaler - Chatelain(e)- Newcomer's Greeter and helper.

                Chatelain(e) - Hospitaler - Newcomer's Greeter and helper.

                Gold Key - Loaner Garb

                garb –noun 1. a fashion or mode of dress, esp. of a distinctive,
                uniform kind: in the garb of a monk.
                2. wearing apparel; clothes.
                3. outward appearance or form.
                –verb (used with object) 4. to dress; clothe.

                Troll - Check in at an event. Also used as an information point
                sometimes.

                Gate - Check in at an event. Also used as an information point
                sometimes.

                Well those are some common polite things I have found newcomers need
                help with.

                Ian the Green
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2007
                  Forgive the top-posting.  I hate this email program, it won't let me cut and paste only what I want to say.
                  "Erik" is used pretty much only in the West and possibly neighboring kingdoms.  It's really an old joke from when the rope used to mark the list field had red pennants on it and was referred to as "Erik the Red".  It's not a medieval term.  The proper medieval terms is "Lists" - yes, in the plural; "the fighters are in the lists".
                  Royal Presence: In the East, at least, people don't bow to the empty thrones, and I've only seen the rule about not carrying weapons be enforced in court, not if you happen to meet their Majesties in the marketplace or something.

                  Live steel is technically sharpened steel weapons as opposed to blunted steel or other sorts.

                  Peers and Royal Peers are not interchangeable terms.  Royal peers are those who have won crown or coronet tourneys - dukes, duchesses, counts, viscounts, etc - whereas peers are the Knsights, Laurel, and Pelicans.

                  Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll leave it to the heralds to explain.  Shield is a piece of armament where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry itself.

                  Brangwayna Morgan
                  Shire of Silver Rylle East Kingdom
                  Lancaster PA

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                    And here we see the differences between kingdoms and usages as well
                    as common usage and proper usage.

                    Everything I put out, (other than the heraldry stuf cuz, I'm NOT a
                    herald) is common usage in this area.

                    And thus the fun of "being seperated by a common language" occurs.

                    Lesson to take away from this?

                    When in Rome do as the Romans do. If you don't know what the Romans
                    are doing... ASK. You make more friends that way and you understand
                    a lot more too.

                    Ian the Green

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

                    > Forgive the top-posting.  I hate this email program, it won't let
                    me cut and paste only what I want to say.
                    > "Erik" is used pretty much only in the West and possibly
                    neighboring kingdoms.  It's really an old joke from when the rope
                    used to mark the list field had red pennants on it and was referred
                    to as "Erik the Red".  It's not a medieval term.  The proper
                    medieval terms is "Lists" - yes, in the plural; "the fighters are in
                    the lists".
                    > Royal Presence: In the East, at least, people don't bow to the
                    empty thrones, and I've only seen the rule about not carrying
                    weapons be enforced in court, not if you happen to meet their
                    Majesties in the marketplace or something.

                    > Live steel is technically sharpened steel weapons as opposed to
                    blunted steel or other sorts.

                    > Peers and Royal Peers are not interchangeable terms.  Royal peers
                    are those who have won crown or coronet tourneys - dukes, duchesses,
                    counts, viscounts, etc - whereas peers are the Knsights, Laurel, and
                    Pelicans.

                    > Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll
                    leave it to the heralds to explain.  Shield is a piece of armament
                    where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry
                    itself.

                    > Brangwayna Morgan
                    > Shire of Silver Rylle East Kingdom
                    > Lancaster PA

                  • jay davis
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                      Just what is Dead Steel?

                      rusr. john of antioche
                    • Elizabeth Cember
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                        Not sharp.

                        "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
                        I woke and saw that life was duty,
                        I acted and behold, duty was joy"
                        -- Rabinranath Tagore

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                          true, but i like my answer better. lol john of antioche

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Cember
                          <sapphire_chan@...> wrote:

                          > Not sharp.
                          >
                          > "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
                          > I woke and saw that life was duty,
                          > I acted and behold, duty was joy"
                          > -- Rabinranath Tagore

                        • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                            At 01:42 PM 7/2/2007, you wrote:
                            > Badges and devices are not the same thing heraldically, but I'll
                            >leave it to the heralds to explain. Shield is a piece of armament
                            >where your heraldry is often displayed, not a term for the heraldry
                            >itself. >>

                            In a nutshell, your arms (or device) say "This is
                            ME." Your badge says "This is MINE".

                            Your arms are flown on your banner or whatever
                            when you are present. Your badge can be used to
                            mark things that belong to you, physical
                            possessions, the livery of servants, etcetera.

                            Laurensa