Scotsmen

  • jimmielou111
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2007
      My hubby wants to be a Scotsman. Hasn't narrowed down a time yet but I
      was thinking of the late 1200's since it was such a nice turbulent
      time in Scottish history. Anyway.... while reading a book of British
      history I saw a photo of the statue of William Wallace. I know of
      course that most of Braveheart was b.s. but the statue intrigued me.
      You can tell he's wearing a shirt -- there are sleeves and a collar
      but you can also clearly see his rippling abs. There's a belt and then
      below that he is either wearing two kilts -- the top one not pleated
      and the bottom one box pleated or the shirt goes down to about 2 or 3
      inches above the box pleated kilt. does anyone know which is the case?

      I understand if this statue was put up years and years later, the
      chances of the clothes being wrong are pretty good. Does it seem
      accurate to anyone? He also wore a cloak, not too long and Roman
      looking sandals.

      Mary aka Vivian (till the name gets approved)
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 26, 2007
        Mary aka Vivian wrote:
        > My hubby wants to be a Scotsman. Hasn't narrowed down a time yet but I
        > was thinking of the late 1200's since it was such a nice turbulent
        > time in Scottish history.

        He'll doubtless want to visit the Medieval Scotland website
        <http://medievalscotland.org/> and the Medieval Naming Guide for
        Scottish names <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/scottish.shtml>. (The
        latter isn't only for names; its introduction includes good information
        on the various cultures present in Scotland at various points in time.)

        He might also find some useful information at
        <http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/scottishhistory/middleages/index.asp> and
        in chapters 2 through 4 of Peter N. Williams' brief history of Scotland
        <http://britannia.com/celtic/scotland/history_scotland.html>.

        > . . .I saw a photo of the statue of William Wallace.. . .You can tell
        > he's wearing a shirt. . .There's a belt and then below that he is
        > either wearing two kilts. . .or the shirt goes down to about 2 or 3
        > inches above the box pleated kilt. does anyone know which is the case?

        Neither.

        I'm not sure what William Wallace' ethnic background was, and as
        Scotland has always been multi-cultural you need that information in
        order to even guess at what any given person wore. But since the kilt
        was invented in the early 18th century
        <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?c=8&d=117&a=130&w=2>,
        we can be sure Wallace didn't wear that.

        There's not a great deal of information available on daily life in
        Scotland in the 12th century. The little we have on Scottish Gaelic
        clothing is summarized in the article at
        <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?
        c=8&d=117&e=&a=134&w=2>. Those in the English- and
        Norman-French-speaking communities dressed much like members of the
        same communities in England, by all accounts.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>