Re: My name

  • srael8
    Message 1 of 2565 , Mar 2, 2001
      Your name sounds like a Latinized version of your
      period/culture's name. My understanding of the situation is that
      Romans left the British Isles centuries before your
      proposed time period and took with them their Latin
      language. Therefore, your name, to me, seems a little out
      of place. The Academy of St. Gabriel library should
      have lots of name lists for England, wherein you might
      be able to find names that closely match your idea
      for your persona.<br>However, as an interesting
      side-note, Latin was used well in and through our period by
      the establishment of the church in Europe. And the
      churches are often our source of period names through
      records that they left. Therefore, they frequently seem
      to have "latinized" the names, meaning that they
      made them like what they would be called in
      Latin.<br>So, if you were Edward Byrd Lydie (I strongly
      recommend consulting the St. Gabriel library for that),
      then that's really your name (and your friends would
      probably call you Ed), but if you were ever married or
      were a witness for something important, when they
      recorded your name it might be the one you
      propose.<br><br>Sorry for the long-windedness and vagueness. Hope it
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003