Re: [SCA Newcomers] Creating my Character

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
      In a message dated 6/9/2007 10:42:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      Gradius69@... writes:

      <<I would like to create a character who's of celtic/saxon origins who
      would be wearing lots of furs and chain mails. I'd just like to know
      if anyone out there could give me a hand by advising just how to
      create such a garb that would be authentic to the 1200+ Era.

      Any fellow barbarians out there? ;)>>

      I think you are going to need to revise your plans, either for the origin of
      your character and his clothing, or your timeline.
      By 1200+, there wasn't much left of any cultures of purely "celtic" origin,
      clearly "Saxon" groups, or fur-wearing barbarians in Europe. 1200 is the
      High Middle Ages, with elaborate clothing, the Normans pretty much having taken
      over most of the Celtic and Saxon areas of Europe and become civilized, a
      flourishing Christian church, international commerce, etc.
      On the other hand, it would still be plausible to have armor of primarily
      chain mail at that time, but you are rapidly approaching the use of more and
      more plate as well.
      Somewhere around 700-900 would fit the persona you are describing a bit
      better.

      Lancaster, PA

    • wendy brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
        Love your handle. My grandson is 2 and his real name is Tyrus Agustus.
        Try the Kingdom of An-Tir website. Ask around there because their Kingdom is over 15,000 and I've seen a few barbarians there. It will be a huge list but look at the one in the list named Arthur of 2 Axes.
        Good luck,
        Wendy
        P.S. I drew the Celtic picture and the barbarian in blue is my brother and he's in the Kingdom of An-Tir.
        I was in the Kingdom of Meridies.
        AElfwynn of Lynford
        Shire of Beau Fort

        Just starting to get into the SCA world, I have been adamant about
        joining since I was just a small boy, now that I'm more then of age
        this dream shall be realised.

        I would like to create a character who's of celtic/saxon origins who
        would be wearing lots of furs and chain mails. I'd just like to know
        if anyone out there could give me a hand by advising just how to
        create such a garb that would be authentic to the 1200+ Era.

        Any fellow barbarians out there? ;)

        Feel free to contact me at Gradius69@hotmail. com

      • Alix deBohun
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
          > I would like to create a character who's of celtic/saxon origins who
          > would be wearing lots of furs and chain mails. I'd just like to know
          > if anyone out there could give me a hand by advising just how to
          > create such a garb that would be authentic to the 1200+ Era.
          >
          > Any fellow barbarians out there? ;)

          I'm going to have to agree with the others - you need to do more research on the clothing/timeframe/country thing. A Celtic-Saxon in fur and chainmail in the 1200's is just not plausible. Barbarians belong in a much earlier time frame and are not found often within the SCA - depends on the kingdom.
          Alix.