The Don't Speach

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 6, 2007
      Please feel free to forward this and use this as you would but
      please give credit where credit is due.

      So, you're new to the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), and
      you want to do it all! Well, come check it out, find out what you
      like and explore. You might find something you like that you never
      thought you would. But first, a word of advice.

      In your first year DON'T.

      That's right DON'T.

      DON'T register a name.

      DON'T register a device.

      DON'T join a household, guild etc.

      DON'T attach yourself to someone as in an apprenticeship or squiring
      or other such thing.

      DON'T register your name. Once you have registered it you are more
      or less stuck with it. Once people are used to calling you something
      they're gonna keep on calling you that name, yes you can un-register
      the name but that doesn't mean people will stop calling you that.
      The truth is that you will likely find a name or persona that you
      think is cooler later on. Chill out try a few on and see what
      sticks. Most newcomers in my experience change names a few times
      before they settle on one.

      DON'T register a device. Same reason as not registering your name
      really. A device is a symbol that will come to be recognized as
      you. People will see it and think of you. People will see you not
      with it and wonder what is wrong. And once you have a flaming moose
      as your symbol - yes there really is a registered flaming moose -
      you will never get away from it.

      DON'T join a household, guild etc. Hang out with them, get the lay
      of the land and the internal politics, have fun, get to know people.
      If they're cool now, great! But really if they're cool now, then
      they'll be cool in a year just the same. You may find that you like
      hanging out with them but don't really wanna join up. That's okay.
      Then again you may choose to join up after that year and you'll be a
      better member for it!

      DON'T attach yourself. Those kinds of things in the SCA are viewed
      as permanent and forever. Yes, you can get out of them but it is a
      BIG deal when that happens and people will talk for years about it.
      I keep hearing about one split that happened over 15, yes that's
      fifteen, years ago. Take your time get to know what you really want
      to do and what the person is really like and what their reputation
      is. Once you DO get attached to a person you WILL ALWAYS be judged
      in that light and will ALWAYS be associated that way. So know the
      person well before you get attached as a squire or apprentice or
      other such thing.

      There are plenty of stories in the SCA of people having registered
      names or devices and wishing they hadn't and being "stuck" with it.
      And even more stories of having joined a household or guild and
      wishing they had spent more time getting to know people and things
      before they had.

      Take your time, explore things and research them to your hearts
      content.

      And if anyone gives you any guff over not registering your name or
      device, or joining up with a household or guild politely tell them
      to lay off.

      I am an apprentice and my Laurel has NEVER registered her name or a
      device. NEVER. You simply are NOT required to do it. Anyone who
      says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth is that you should wait
      around to see what you want to register for certain before you do.

      Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is a
      great place to do that. But some things are forever or close to it
      in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of choosing
      some things too early.

      Ian the Green (MKA David Roland)
      Chatelain - Shire of Grey Gargoyles
      Region of the Midlands
      Middle Kingdom
    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2007
        Please feel free to forward this and use this as you would but
        please give credit where credit is due. Yes, there are some
        exceptions but in general the following advice is for any and all
        newcomers.

[...]

        I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally been in
        the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has NEVER
        registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT required
        to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth is
        that you should wait around to see what you want to register for
        certain before you do.

        Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is a
        great place to do that. But some things are forever or close to it
        in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of choosing
        some things too early.

        Ian the Green (MKA David Roland)
        Chatelain – Shire of Grey Gargoyles
        Region of the Midlands
        Middle Kingdom
      • thorgrim_riftwalker
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 7, 2007
          His Grace Radu (the 1st King of Glean Abhan) has the registered
          flaming moose... And if you knew the man you would understand. It
          also dosent hurt that Moose is his nickname or that it is somehow
          fitting for a man that stands 6'9". A credit to the order of the
          chivalry and his kingdom

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "David Roland" <mystborne@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Take your time, explore things and research them to your hearts
          > content.
          >
          > And if anyone gives you any guff over not registering your name or
          > device, or joining up with a household or guild politely tell them
          > to lay off.
          >
          > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally been
          in
          > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has NEVER
          > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT required
          > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth is
          > that you should wait around to see what you want to register for
          > certain before you do.
          >
          > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is a
          > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close to it
          > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of choosing

        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 7, 2007
            I knew not to whom the flaming moose was registered to having seen
            it in passing at a presentation of unique and unusual registered
            badges and arms. I am most happy to know that it belongs to one of
            such skill, wisdom and virtue as to be not only a knight but also at
            least twice a King.

            I infer from your response that perhaps my phrasing in this gentle
            advice given about his grace's device might be taken amiss. Please
            feel free to contact me, on or off list as you choose, for any good
            remedy I may make if needed.

            My thanks.

            Ian the Green

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "thorgrim_riftwalker"
            <masongarner@...> wrote:

> [...]

            them
            > > to lay off.
            > >
            > > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally
            been
            > in
            > > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has
            NEVER
            > > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT
            required
            > > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth
            is
            > > that you should wait around to see what you want to register for
            > > certain before you do.
            > >
            > > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is
            > > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close to
            it
            > > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of

          • thorgrim_riftwalker
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
              No remedy needed m'lord, nor would I presume to hand out chastisement
              like a nun in catholic school. My only wish in the matter was that a
              Knight and Royal Peer whom I admire and respect greatly was not held
              up to be an object of mockery

              Respectfully,
              YIS
              mason

              wrote:

> [...]
              > them
              > > > to lay off.
              > > >
              > > > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally
              > been
              > > in
              > > > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has
              > NEVER
              > > > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT
              > required
              > > > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth
              > is
              > > > that you should wait around to see what you want to register
              for
              > > > certain before you do.
              > > >
              > > > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is
              > > > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close
              > it
              > > > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of

            • Alix deBohun
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
                (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)

                I would suggest finding someone who really does regret their choice in arms and using them as the example. So many of the so called horrible devices were done with good reason.

                Alix

> [...]

                > them

                > > > to lay off.

                > > > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally

                > been

                > > in

                > > > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has

                > NEVER

                > > > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT

                > required

                > > > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth

                > is

                > > > that you should wait around to see what you want to register

                for

                > > > certain before you do.

                > > > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is

                > > > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close

                > it

                > > > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of

                <!--

                #ygrp-mkp{
                #ygrp-mkp hr{
                border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                margin-bottom:10px;}
                #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                padding:0 0;}
                #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                -->

                <!--

                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                font-family:Arial;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                -->

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                #ygrp-text{
                font-family:Georgia;
                }
                #ygrp-text p{
                margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                font-family:Arial;
                clear:both;}
                #ygrp-vitnav{
                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                padding:0 1px;}
                #ygrp-actbar{
                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-grft{
                #ygrp-ft{
                padding:5px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                padding-bottom:10px;}

                #ygrp-vital{
                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                #ygrp-vital ul{
                padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-vital a{
                text-decoration:none;}

                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;}

                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                padding:8px 0;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                text-decoration:none;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                margin:0;}
                o{font-size:0;}
                .MsoNormal{
                margin:0 0 0 0;}
                #ygrp-text tt{
                font-size:120%;}
                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                .replbq{margin:4;}
                -->

              • Pardus
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                  So is Squirrel a pilot by chance?

                  - Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*

                  Alix deBohun wrote:
                  > Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
                  > (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)
                  >
                  > I would suggest finding someone who really does regret their choice in arms and using them as the example. So many of the so called horrible devices were done with good reason.
                  >
                  > Alix

                • Labhaoise O'Beachain
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                    Say it isn't so........

                    > Alix deBohun wrote:
                    > > Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
                    > > (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
                    nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and
                    Squirrel)
                  • julian wilson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                      Pardus <Shadocat@...> wrote
                      Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*

                      COMMENT,
                      Methinks my Lady and this humble veteran Soldier unknowingly broke nearly all of them.
                      Matthew Baker
                      Southern Marches, Insulæ Draconis

                    • David Roland
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                        It certainly isn't the end of the world if you do the things on the
                        don't list. However there are stories in abundance of people who
                        truly wish they had not. The point of the don'ts listed is to get
                        people to take some time before they make major decisions.

                        Every one of my newcomers and "graduated" newcomers have a story to
                        tell about why they are very happy they followed the advice in one way
                        or another. Almost all of which I heard well after the fact. Of
                        course I know some folks that everything worked out with as well. But
                        they seem to be the exception.

                        Just some friendly advice from a Chatelain.

                        Ian

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:

                        > Pardus <Shadocat@...> wrote
                        > Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*
                        >
                        > COMMENT,
                        > Methinks my Lady and this humble veteran Soldier unknowingly broke
                        nearly all of them.
                        > Matthew Baker
                        > Southern Marches, Insulæ Draconis

                      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                          At 01:27 PM 10/8/2007, you wrote:
                          >Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
                          >(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
                          >nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)

                          Mine is a flying monkey. :-)

                          Laurensa
                        • David Backlin
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                            >>(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
                            >>nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and
                            >>Squirrel)
                            >

                            > Mine is a flying monkey. :-)
                            >
                            > Laurensa

                            What color? Not blue, I hope. ;)
                          • christopher chastain
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                              No offense to the good sir and his lady but I cant help but mentally see rocky and bullwinkle everytime I read this description!

                              Dmitrii

                              "If you must choose between two paths, either of which will bring death and defeat, then choose the path wherein you die fighting for honor and justice." Pan Ku

                              To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: edrei@...: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 00:36:52 -0500Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: The Don't Speach

                              ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dianne & Greg Stucki" <goofy4@...>To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 4:37 PMSubject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: The Don't Speach> At 01:27 PM 10/8/2007, you wrote:>>Don't forget his wife Squirrel!>>(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her>>nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and >>Squirrel)>>> Mine is a flying monkey. :-)>> Laurensa>What color? Not blue, I hope. ;)

                            • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                                At 01:36 AM 10/9/2007, you wrote:
                                >Mine is a flying monkey. :-)