spider-proofing

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
      a general observation:

      It's a very bad idea to send someone else's e-mail address to a Yahoo!
      Group. Spiders harvest from archives, and those whose addresses are so
      posted may soon be inundated with spam. . .on the order of hundreds of
      pieces per day. (You may have noticed I include mine in my signature;
      I received over 3000 pieces of junk today.) Even if they're using an
      officer address, rather than their personal one, that can completely
      overwhelm.

      If you've seen a particular individual's address on a website, it's
      much better to simply pass on the URL. It is likely protected there,
      by one piece of careful programming or another, from harvest. And if
      it's not, you can at least be sure it isn't being exposed in any way to
      which the individual to whom it belongs has not consented.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Wolfy
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
        I'm using Gmail...
        I haven't had a single spam mail for the past... 3-4 month
        Up to 20 in the past 2 years.
        If you really have to put in an email use thisisanemail [ATs] address [DOTs] com
        I am sure people can read through the square brackets. Bots can't though.

        And if there is mail on a web page, rest assured that it will get
        picked up by crawlers.

        ~Wolfy

        --
        The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)