Re: [SCA Newcomers] another dumb question

  • Jibra'il 'Attar.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
      I'm one of those crazy people that enjoys hand-sewing, especially the
      detail work...like eyelets and buttons and hems and trim. But right
      now, I'm in mass production mode, sewing War garb for Lilies (which is
      only 5 days away...OMG!). Machine sewing is my friend right about now.

      And honestly, if you're new to sewing...or new period...use a machine
      to start with until you're used to the patterns you're working with.
      After a few years of playing with the same pattern, you'll get a feel
      for the garments you're making...and then you'll feel a little more
      courageous about hand-sewing one or two times.

      Jibra'il.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
        In a message dated 6/2/2007 7:22:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        jimmielou111@... writes:

        <<I've been reading and reading about garb and was wondering -- do you
        have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic for my husband.
        Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and trim and all
        that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts to check your
        seams? Just wondering....>>

        Many people do all the sewing by machine, including hems and trim, or buy
        machine-sewn garb. Some people who are more concerned with the look will do
        the main seams by machine and any visible stitching by hand. Then there are
        the die-hard authenticists like me who do all of it by hand, but that is our
        choice and is made for a variety of reasons, none of them having to do with
        anybody making us feel like we should. I hand sew for three reasons: 1) I hate
        sewing machines; 2) this way I can work on my projects at events or anywhere
        I happen to be; and 3) it's the way it was done in period, and it's a chore
        my persona might well have done (not necessarily; premade clothing was
        available for purchase in some places at some times, or I could have commissioned it
        from someone else. But my husband is a tailor and I would most likely have
        helped in his shop anyway).

        Are there people who will criticize your garb? Unfortunately, there are
        some rare insecure folks who need to make themselves feel bigger by doing that.
        But in general, most people a) don't care how you put your garb together or
        if you bought serged stuff from a merchant, and b) are too polite to look at
        your sewing unless you are specifically discussing your sewing. I have
        people looking at my seams all the time, but that's because I'm known as someone
        who handsews everything (which people think is a bit weird) and I'm usually
        sewing something at the event anyway.

        Lancaster, PA

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
          In a message dated 6/2/2007 8:13:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          scarlettmb@... writes:

          <<Most of us don't grow the cotton or flax, spin
          it and then weave it to make the material. >>

          And honestly, most period people didn't do that either. Most period people
          probably bought their fabric ready-made, or either bought clothes off the peg
          or commissioned a tailor to make stuff for them. Even people who worked in
          the spinning and weaving trades probably bought some of their fabric or
          clothes. There were lots of specialty clothing workers - tailors, chaucers who
          made hose, cordwainers who made shoes, people who made hoods and hats, etc.
          Somebody had to be buying what they made.

          Lancaster, PA