Re: [SCA Newcomers] another dumb question

  • Denise Keppel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
      One lovely lady in my shire who does wonderful work
      would be in trouble if she couldn't hire the nuns of
      the house of Kenmore to do some work for her.
      --- jimmielou111 <jimmielou111@...> wrote:

      > I've been reading and reading about garb and was
      > wondering -- do you
      > have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic
      > for my husband.
      > Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and
      > trim and all
      > that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts
      > to check your
      > seams? Just wondering....

    • Jibra'il 'Attar.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
        I'm one of those crazy people that enjoys hand-sewing, especially the
        detail work...like eyelets and buttons and hems and trim. But right
        now, I'm in mass production mode, sewing War garb for Lilies (which is
        only 5 days away...OMG!). Machine sewing is my friend right about now.

        And honestly, if you're new to sewing...or new period...use a machine
        to start with until you're used to the patterns you're working with.
        After a few years of playing with the same pattern, you'll get a feel
        for the garments you're making...and then you'll feel a little more
        courageous about hand-sewing one or two times.

        Jibra'il.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
          In a message dated 6/2/2007 7:22:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          jimmielou111@... writes:

          <<I've been reading and reading about garb and was wondering -- do you
          have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic for my husband.
          Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and trim and all
          that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts to check your
          seams? Just wondering....>>

          Many people do all the sewing by machine, including hems and trim, or buy
          machine-sewn garb. Some people who are more concerned with the look will do
          the main seams by machine and any visible stitching by hand. Then there are
          the die-hard authenticists like me who do all of it by hand, but that is our
          choice and is made for a variety of reasons, none of them having to do with
          anybody making us feel like we should. I hand sew for three reasons: 1) I hate
          sewing machines; 2) this way I can work on my projects at events or anywhere
          I happen to be; and 3) it's the way it was done in period, and it's a chore
          my persona might well have done (not necessarily; premade clothing was
          available for purchase in some places at some times, or I could have commissioned it
          from someone else. But my husband is a tailor and I would most likely have
          helped in his shop anyway).

          Are there people who will criticize your garb? Unfortunately, there are
          some rare insecure folks who need to make themselves feel bigger by doing that.
          But in general, most people a) don't care how you put your garb together or
          if you bought serged stuff from a merchant, and b) are too polite to look at
          your sewing unless you are specifically discussing your sewing. I have
          people looking at my seams all the time, but that's because I'm known as someone
          who handsews everything (which people think is a bit weird) and I'm usually
          sewing something at the event anyway.

          Lancaster, PA

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
            In a message dated 6/2/2007 8:13:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            scarlettmb@... writes:

            <<Most of us don't grow the cotton or flax, spin
            it and then weave it to make the material. >>

            And honestly, most period people didn't do that either. Most period people
            probably bought their fabric ready-made, or either bought clothes off the peg
            or commissioned a tailor to make stuff for them. Even people who worked in
            the spinning and weaving trades probably bought some of their fabric or
            clothes. There were lots of specialty clothing workers - tailors, chaucers who
            made hose, cordwainers who made shoes, people who made hoods and hats, etc.
            Somebody had to be buying what they made.

            Lancaster, PA