Re: [SCA Newcomers] another dumb question

  • Elizabeth Cember
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
      Having a bit of handsewing to do can be nice at events though.

      http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/video-library-of-hand-embroidery.html has videos of how to do various embroidery stitches. Could be fun to add to your cuffs or a tablecloth or something.

      Elspeth

      "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
      I woke and saw that life was duty,
      I acted and behold, duty was joy"
      -- Rabinranath Tagore

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
        One lovely lady in my shire who does wonderful work
        would be in trouble if she couldn't hire the nuns of
        the house of Kenmore to do some work for her.
        --- jimmielou111 <jimmielou111@...> wrote:

        > I've been reading and reading about garb and was
        > wondering -- do you
        > have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic
        > for my husband.
        > Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and
        > trim and all
        > that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts
        > to check your
        > seams? Just wondering....

      • Jibra'il 'Attar.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
          I'm one of those crazy people that enjoys hand-sewing, especially the
          detail work...like eyelets and buttons and hems and trim. But right
          now, I'm in mass production mode, sewing War garb for Lilies (which is
          only 5 days away...OMG!). Machine sewing is my friend right about now.

          And honestly, if you're new to sewing...or new period...use a machine
          to start with until you're used to the patterns you're working with.
          After a few years of playing with the same pattern, you'll get a feel
          for the garments you're making...and then you'll feel a little more
          courageous about hand-sewing one or two times.

          Jibra'il.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
            In a message dated 6/2/2007 7:22:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            jimmielou111@... writes:

            <<I've been reading and reading about garb and was wondering -- do you
            have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic for my husband.
            Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and trim and all
            that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts to check your
            seams? Just wondering....>>

            Many people do all the sewing by machine, including hems and trim, or buy
            machine-sewn garb. Some people who are more concerned with the look will do
            the main seams by machine and any visible stitching by hand. Then there are
            the die-hard authenticists like me who do all of it by hand, but that is our
            choice and is made for a variety of reasons, none of them having to do with
            anybody making us feel like we should. I hand sew for three reasons: 1) I hate
            sewing machines; 2) this way I can work on my projects at events or anywhere
            I happen to be; and 3) it's the way it was done in period, and it's a chore
            my persona might well have done (not necessarily; premade clothing was
            available for purchase in some places at some times, or I could have commissioned it
            from someone else. But my husband is a tailor and I would most likely have
            helped in his shop anyway).

            Are there people who will criticize your garb? Unfortunately, there are
            some rare insecure folks who need to make themselves feel bigger by doing that.
            But in general, most people a) don't care how you put your garb together or
            if you bought serged stuff from a merchant, and b) are too polite to look at
            your sewing unless you are specifically discussing your sewing. I have
            people looking at my seams all the time, but that's because I'm known as someone
            who handsews everything (which people think is a bit weird) and I'm usually
            sewing something at the event anyway.

            Lancaster, PA

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
              In a message dated 6/2/2007 8:13:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              scarlettmb@... writes:

              <<Most of us don't grow the cotton or flax, spin
              it and then weave it to make the material. >>

              And honestly, most period people didn't do that either. Most period people
              probably bought their fabric ready-made, or either bought clothes off the peg
              or commissioned a tailor to make stuff for them. Even people who worked in
              the spinning and weaving trades probably bought some of their fabric or
              clothes. There were lots of specialty clothing workers - tailors, chaucers who
              made hose, cordwainers who made shoes, people who made hoods and hats, etc.
              Somebody had to be buying what they made.

              Lancaster, PA