Re: [SCA Newcomers] another dumb question

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
      At 07:22 PM 6/2/2007, you wrote:
      >I've been reading and reading about garb and was wondering -- do you
      >have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic for my husband.
      >Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and trim and all
      >that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts to check your
      >seams? Just wondering....

      You most certainly can machine sew the seams if that is what you wish
      to do. There are no stitch police! (Heaven help ME if there were!)

      Laurensa
    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
        Quoting jimmielou111 <jimmielou111@...>:

        > I've been reading and reading about garb and was wondering -- do you
        > have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic for my husband.
        > Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and trim and all
        > that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts to check your
        > seams? Just wondering....

        First -- if you run into the Stitch Police, tell me. I'll have words
        with them. That sort of behavior (checking your seams) is IMO
        uncalled for.

        It depends. :-S And it depends on if it's for competion or not. If
        it's not for competition, don't worry about it. I've seen some
        beautiful machine-embroidered chemises that people wear. Most folks
        though, don't like visible machine sewing.

        OTOH, If you're making an early period garment that will be entered
        into competition, then yes, you'll probably want to hand sew
        everything. If it's not early period, you'll still want to do any
        seams that would show on the outside of the garment. But that's only
        if it's for competition.

        Having said all that, I do know folks that hand sew everything because
        they like hand-sewing.

        jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Bulgarelli Maria
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
          LOL I machine sew my hems and a lot of time my trim
          depending on where it's going. Don't worry about
          that. Most of us don't grow the cotton or flax, spin
          it and then weave it to make the material. (I won't
          say no one does it, cause then someone will point out
          that such and such Laurel did just that.)

          So machine sew anything you want to. And have fun.

          Maria
          --- jimmielou111 <jimmielou111@...> wrote:

          > I've been reading and reading about garb and was
          > wondering -- do you
          > have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic
          > for my husband.
          > Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and
          > trim and all
          > that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts
          > to check your
          > seams? Just wondering....

        • Elizabeth Cember
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
            Having a bit of handsewing to do can be nice at events though.

            http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/video-library-of-hand-embroidery.html has videos of how to do various embroidery stitches. Could be fun to add to your cuffs or a tablecloth or something.

            Elspeth

            "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
            I woke and saw that life was duty,
            I acted and behold, duty was joy"
            -- Rabinranath Tagore

            --- jimmielou111 <jimmielou111@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            > I've been reading and reading about garb and was

            > wondering -- do you

            > have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic

            > for my husband.

            > Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and

            > trim and all

            > that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts

            > to check your

            > seams? Just wondering... .

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o {font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal {
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq {margin:4;}
            -->

          • Denise Keppel
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
              One lovely lady in my shire who does wonderful work
              would be in trouble if she couldn't hire the nuns of
              the house of Kenmore to do some work for her.
              --- jimmielou111 <jimmielou111@...> wrote:

              > I've been reading and reading about garb and was
              > wondering -- do you
              > have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic
              > for my husband.
              > Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and
              > trim and all
              > that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts
              > to check your
              > seams? Just wondering....

            • Jibra'il 'Attar.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
                I'm one of those crazy people that enjoys hand-sewing, especially the
                detail work...like eyelets and buttons and hems and trim. But right
                now, I'm in mass production mode, sewing War garb for Lilies (which is
                only 5 days away...OMG!). Machine sewing is my friend right about now.

                And honestly, if you're new to sewing...or new period...use a machine
                to start with until you're used to the patterns you're working with.
                After a few years of playing with the same pattern, you'll get a feel
                for the garments you're making...and then you'll feel a little more
                courageous about hand-sewing one or two times.

                Jibra'il.
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
                  In a message dated 6/2/2007 7:22:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  jimmielou111@... writes:

                  <<I've been reading and reading about garb and was wondering -- do you
                  have to handsew the clothes? I'm working on a tunic for my husband.
                  Can you machine sew the seams, then handsew hems and trim and all
                  that? Is there "stitch police" who lift your skirts to check your
                  seams? Just wondering....>>

                  Many people do all the sewing by machine, including hems and trim, or buy
                  machine-sewn garb. Some people who are more concerned with the look will do
                  the main seams by machine and any visible stitching by hand. Then there are
                  the die-hard authenticists like me who do all of it by hand, but that is our
                  choice and is made for a variety of reasons, none of them having to do with
                  anybody making us feel like we should. I hand sew for three reasons: 1) I hate
                  sewing machines; 2) this way I can work on my projects at events or anywhere
                  I happen to be; and 3) it's the way it was done in period, and it's a chore
                  my persona might well have done (not necessarily; premade clothing was
                  available for purchase in some places at some times, or I could have commissioned it
                  from someone else. But my husband is a tailor and I would most likely have
                  helped in his shop anyway).

                  Are there people who will criticize your garb? Unfortunately, there are
                  some rare insecure folks who need to make themselves feel bigger by doing that.
                  But in general, most people a) don't care how you put your garb together or
                  if you bought serged stuff from a merchant, and b) are too polite to look at
                  your sewing unless you are specifically discussing your sewing. I have
                  people looking at my seams all the time, but that's because I'm known as someone
                  who handsews everything (which people think is a bit weird) and I'm usually
                  sewing something at the event anyway.

                  Lancaster, PA

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
                    In a message dated 6/2/2007 8:13:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    scarlettmb@... writes:

                    <<Most of us don't grow the cotton or flax, spin
                    it and then weave it to make the material. >>

                    And honestly, most period people didn't do that either. Most period people
                    probably bought their fabric ready-made, or either bought clothes off the peg
                    or commissioned a tailor to make stuff for them. Even people who worked in
                    the spinning and weaving trades probably bought some of their fabric or
                    clothes. There were lots of specialty clothing workers - tailors, chaucers who
                    made hose, cordwainers who made shoes, people who made hoods and hats, etc.
                    Somebody had to be buying what they made.

                    Lancaster, PA