Re: [SCA Newcomers] beginners' garb

  • Bulgarelli Maria
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
      Ok. I looked up all of the groups. The shire at
      least has an up to date web site.

      mistsgoldkey@... - is the Principality's
      Gold Key

      anneofmdr@... - is the Gold key for the
      Barony of Darkwood, of which the canton of Montaigne
      du Roi is a part

      ramsheart@... - is the Chatelaine for the
      Barony of Darkwood.

      --- Emrys Clearwater <emrys_clearwater@...>
      wrote:

      > Unfortunately, I believe that was someone else.
      > I am personally from Wolfscairn Shire, and my sister
      > and her friends are from Montaigne du Roi in the
      > Barony of Darkwood, both in the Principality of The
      > Mists, Kingdom of the west.
      >
      > Bulgarelli Maria <scarlettmb@...> wrote:
      > Where exactly are
      > you? Didn't you say Gleann Abhann?
      > Give me an idea. I can get in touch with them. I
      > have lots of friends who know people over there.
      > I'm
      > in Houston so I'm pretty close.
      >
      > Maria
      >

      > Emrys of Clearwater (Unregistered)
      > Wolfscairn, Province of The Mists
      > Kingdom of the West

      > removed]

    • Bulgarelli Maria
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
        OOPS. Hit the wrong button there.

        Ok I'm going to start from the beginning.

        Ok. I looked up all of the groups. The shire at
        least has an up to date web site.

        mistsgoldkey@... - is the Principality's
        Gold Key

        anneofmdr@... - is the Gold key for the
        Barony of Darkwood, of which the canton of Montaigne
        du Roi is a part

        ramsheart@... - is the Chatelaine for the
        Barony of Darkwood.

        catherine@... - is the Seneschal of Barony of
        Darkwood.

        Ok on to the Shire's officers. The Canton's web site
        has no information on it.

        wolfscairn_seneschal@... is the Seneschal
        Lady Anne of Whaleshaven

        The A&S Minister has a phone number listed. It's the
        only one with a phone number listed. If you wanted to
        call someone I'd say all her first. I'm not going to
        post her number here, but you know how to get to the
        site so get it there. I don't post other people's
        phone numbers without their permission.

        Here's something I found on the Darkwood web site.

        Montaigne du Roi
        (North and West Monterey County - including Seaside)
        Web site: None, but visit them at their Yahoo! Group
        Seneschal: Christophe d'Avignon (his email address is
        christophe@... )
        ** Informational and officers meetings on the 2nd
        Wednesday of the month, 7:00pm, email Christophe for
        info.
        ** Arts & Sciences workshops - 4th Thursday of the
        month, at 7:00pm. Contact Hraefn fram Lindune for
        details.
        ** Fighter practice - Thursdays at 7:00pm, contact
        Badger for information.
        ** Rapier practice - Monday evenings at 7:00pm.
        Contact David Falcone for information.

        Apparently there's a reason the web site wasn't
        complete for the canton.

        Anyway. Hope this information helps you. If you have
        any more needs please feel free to call me or email
        me. My phone number is 281-433-0347.

        Maria

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 3, 2007
          In a message dated 6/2/2007 11:32:33 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          sapphire_chan@... writes:

          <<I'm with you through "attach the sleeve and gusset as one", but I can't
          quite picture how you're manipulating the fabric for the last seam on a side. I
          think it's something I'd be able to do by hand, but not by machine. Do you
          sort of switch from
          1. Putting the sides of the sleeve together to
          2. sewing the gusset to the side of the sleeve that isn't already sewn to
          the gusset to
          3. sewing the gusset to the side of the body that isn't already sewn to the
          gusset to
          4. sewing the sides of the body together ?>>

          No.

          If I am using separate pieces for the front and the back, then I sew the
          shoulder seams together first. Then I take each sleeve (open, not sewn
          together) and attach the gusset that goes with it. I then lay out the tunic as a
          single long strip of fabric, not folded over or anything, pin the still open
          sleeves where they need to go, and sew them on. So if you lay the whole thing
          out flat at this point, you have, effectively, a cross with two long arms (the
          front and back) and two short arms (the sleeves). At this point I fold it
          at the shoulder line and close the side seams in one long strip. Starting at
          the gusset and working out to the end of the arm and the end of the skirts
          does work well, that way if you are a little off you just trim the extra before
          hemming. Depending on how big your wrist openings are, it might be a bit
          tricky to do that bit on the sewing machine, but the rest should be fine. I do
          all my sewing by hand (I hate sewing machines, I can't sew a straight line
          with one to save my life), so I don't have a problem with it.
          Does that make any more sense?

          Lancaster, PA

        • Elizabeth Cember
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 3, 2007
            My mental image of the process below has only two sides of the gusset attached. When and how do you attach the other sides of the square?

            Elspeth

            "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
            I woke and saw that life was duty,
            I acted and behold, duty was joy"
            -- Rabinranath Tagore

[...]

            ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o {font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal {
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq {margin:4;}
            -->

          • Signora Beatrice
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 4, 2007
              --- Elizabeth Cember <sapphire_chan@...> wrote:

              > My mental image of the process below has only two sides of the gusset
              > attached. When and how do you attach the other sides of the square?
              >
              > Elspeth

              I can't speak for anyone else, but here's my order of doing things:

              1) Sew front to back
              2) Cut out and face neck (being sure to *not* center the neck on the
              shoulder seam, but put it 1/3 to the back and 2/3 to the front for
              comfort)
              3) Attach gussets to end of sleeve (forming a little dangle bit on one
              edge, which continues and elongates the edge that will attach to the body)
              4) Sew one seam to attach the sleeve and gusset to the body (making sure
              to center the sleeve, not the whole sleeve-gusset piece, on the shoulder
              seam)
              5) Sew triangular gores (2-6, depending on size) together into one big
              fan shape. To control stretch, I sew the bias of each triangle to the
              straight grain of the next triangle.
              6) Sew the two fans of gores (left and right sides) to opposite sides of
              the body pieces (this winds up one left-back and one front-right (or maybe
              vice-versa), because of the way I control the fabric). I sew this from
              the hem up, using the straight edge of one side of the triangles in the
              fan and matching it up to the straight edge of the bottom of the body of
              the gown. This way, I don't have to worry about where the top of the gore
              is going to hit on the body, and my hems come out even every time.
              **Nota Bene: The advantage to doing this is that, if you use a very
              consistant seam allowance, you wind up with a very neat point where all
              the gores come together at a single spot.**
              7) Sew one really long seam, from cuff to hem, sewing first the sleeve
              bits together, then the body end of the sleeve to one side of the gusset,
              then the other side of the gusset to the body of the garment, then down
              the side of the garment, sewing gores to body parts and finishing at the
              hem.
              8) If the cuff end wasn't cut as a selvedge (which I often try to do),
              fold over and hem the cuff
              9) Cut off stray triangle points and hem bottom edge.

              Any questions? I could do some sketches and scan them, if that would help.

              In Service to Lioncourt Manor and An Tir,
              Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana

              Never miss an email again!
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 4, 2007
                In a message dated 6/3/2007 11:11:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                sapphire_chan@... writes:

                <<My mental image of the process below has only two sides of the gusset
                attached. When and how do you attach the other sides of the square?>>

                The first side is attached when you sew it to the sleeve. The second side
                is attached when you sew the sleeve-and-gusset to the body of the tunic. The
                third and fourth sides form parts of the underarm seam and side seam and are
                done when you close these seams.

                Lancaster, PA

              • Elizabeth Cember
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Sorry. Looked back at the post just now and realized that "starting from the gusset" can include sewing the gusset. I had originally read it as starting the side seam just under where the gusset was attached to the body.

                  All clear now, and it is just as I thought you were doing.

                  sapphire_chan@ yahoo.com writes:

                  <<My mental image of the process below has only two sides of the gusset
                  attached. When and how do you attach the other sides of the square?>>

                  The first side is attached when you sew it to the sleeve. The second side
                  is attached when you sew the sleeve-and-gusset to the body of the tunic. The
                  third and fourth sides form parts of the underarm seam and side seam and are
                  done when you close these seams.

                  Lancaster, PA

                  ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.

                • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
                    a general observation:

                    It's a very bad idea to send someone else's e-mail address to a Yahoo!
                    Group. Spiders harvest from archives, and those whose addresses are so
                    posted may soon be inundated with spam. . .on the order of hundreds of
                    pieces per day. (You may have noticed I include mine in my signature;
                    I received over 3000 pieces of junk today.) Even if they're using an
                    officer address, rather than their personal one, that can completely
                    overwhelm.

                    If you've seen a particular individual's address on a website, it's
                    much better to simply pass on the URL. It is likely protected there,
                    by one piece of careful programming or another, from harvest. And if
                    it's not, you can at least be sure it isn't being exposed in any way to
                    which the individual to whom it belongs has not consented.

                    Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                    Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                    Kingdom of Ansteorra
                    <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                  • Wolfy
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
                      I'm using Gmail...
                      I haven't had a single spam mail for the past... 3-4 month
                      Up to 20 in the past 2 years.
                      If you really have to put in an email use thisisanemail [ATs] address [DOTs] com
                      I am sure people can read through the square brackets. Bots can't though.

                      And if there is mail on a web page, rest assured that it will get
                      picked up by crawlers.

                      ~Wolfy

                      --
                      The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)