Re: [SCA Newcomers] beginners' garb

  • emrys_clearwater
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
      > First, to address the original question, don't worry about garb at
      all, email/call the chatelaine of your local group and/or of the group
      that's holding the event and explain that it's going to be your first
      event and you have no garb--also mention how many of you there are.
      My apologies for getting so caught up in the question of making garb
      that I forgot the best way of getting garb.

      The website for my area does not list a Chatelaine. I e-mail the
      Seneschal, but she hasn't gotten back to me. If I don't hear from her
      soon, is there someone I should contact? Should I try the
      Principality officers? (Not so much about garb, but about getting
      ready in general, and all the questions entailed therein)?
    • Signora Beatrice
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
        Greetings from Beatrice.

        Hello and welcome! As you've seen, the people here are friendly and
        helpful, and we're glad to have you join!

        --- emrys_clearwater <emrys_clearwater@...> wrote:

        > The website for my area does not list a Chatelaine. I e-mail the
        > Seneschal, but she hasn't gotten back to me. If I don't hear from her
        > soon, is there someone I should contact? Should I try the
        > Principality officers? (Not so much about garb, but about getting
        > ready in general, and all the questions entailed therein)?

        You might try calling the Seneschal (or, for that matter, any officer who
        has a phone number listed). Phone calls are more personal, and quicker,
        especially if you're concerned about the time to get a reply. In general,
        though, don't call after 9p local time, or before 10a on the weekends.

        Yes, if you're not getting the help you need locally, contact the
        principality officers. You can also generally contact _any_ of the local
        branch officers. Even the ones that aren't directly involved in what you
        need have some knowledge, and may be able to get you more details quicker.
        If the Principality has a Chatelaine (which they should), that person
        should be able to help you with answering questions about local customs
        and such.

        Now I'm going to toss in my two cents on the whole garb issue.

        1) The most important thing is to go to the event and have fun.
        2) More authentic, if it isn't much more work, is better.

        The first thing I _ever_ sewed was a cotehardie out of velvet, using only
        the small diagram from the Known World Handbook as a pattern (pause here
        for all the costumers to wince). These days, I make all my own patterns,
        and to generally period construction, though I sew everything by machine
        (my tendonitis won't allow me to hand sew anything for longer than it
        takes to attach a button).

        As for T-tunics, I'm a HUGE fan of rectangular construction. I use a
        pattern similar to the one that was recommended by another gentle on this
        list, with a few exceptions, tips, and tricks:

        1) I do not use front or back gores, I hate setting them, and even with
        my rather curvateous figure, I can get enough fit with just side gores

        2) I always "face" the neck line (no matter what shape) to give it a
        smooth line. This step is always the FIRST thing I sew after cutting out
        the pieces (the only exception is if I've cut a seperate front and back,
        in which case the shoulder seam is first, then the neck). If you want
        detailed instructions for facing a neck, let me know, I'd be happy to
        provide them (privately or on list).

        3) When sewing the gussets into place under the arms, I do not sew ANY
        seams in the 5/8 inch border of the square. This makes turning the
        corners into their places WAY easier. I stop the needle of my machine 5/8
        of an inch from the end of the piece, leaving the needle in the fabric,
        and rotate everything around till the next segment is lined up.

        4) I sew everything onto the front and back of the tunic, and the last
        seams (other than hem and cuffs) I sew are the side seams, from cuff to
        hem, going around the gusset in the arm and the gores at the sides. This
        eliminates the icky setting into points part that is the whole reason I
        dislike doing front and back gores (these days I _can_ do them, but
        they're still a pain, and I still don't _like_ doing them).

        I was fortunate in that I got a GREAT handout (single sheet) on
        rectangular construction from a Laurel in An Tir (Mistress Fjorlief in
        Haga). I'm willing to share it with individuals (once it's unpacked from
        my move from Oregon to Chicago), but since it's not mine, I will not post
        it to the list.

        Ever since I discovered the joys of rectangular construction, I will NEVER
        tunics.

        In Service to the Dream (and, until recently, to An Tir),
        Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana, AoA
        Argent, a lion rampant to sinister sable and in chief two roses azure each
        charged with a rose argent
        (fieldless) A rose per pale argent and azure

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
          In a message dated 6/1/2007 7:36:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          Coblaith@... writes:

          <<> Also, sewing the full square gusset onto the sleeve and then setting
          > in the sleeve and sewing around it is far more difficult than doing
          > the gusset as two triangles.

          Actually, that's the one step I don't do the way Stockton does. >>
          and
          <<I'm not aware of any extant medieval tunics with seams in the middle of
          their underarm gussets. Can you point me to information on any?
          Having one would undoubtedly change the way the gusset drapes, and
          might alter the way the sleeve hangs, so I wouldn't want to use them if
          they're a modern invention.>>

          Making the gussets as two triangles with a seam up the diagonal totally
          defeats the purpose of the gusset in any case. Inserting the gusset with the
          bias (the diagonal line) of the fabric where it is gives the garment stretch to
          allow easier movement of the arm. If you have a seam where that bias line
          is, you have removed most if not all of the stretch.

          I have never inset a sleeve on a tunic - it's just not how they are made, as
          far as I can tell. I shape my sleeve piece, sew the complete square gusset
          onto one side where the sleeve will attach to the tunic (so I have a sleeve
          with a little jutting our square on one side), then lay the tunic out flat (no
          side seams sewn at this point), attach the sleeve and gusset as one, and
          then do my side and sleeve seams at the same times. Since it's all geometric,
          if I could do ASCII art I could draw it for you, but I can't.

          Lancaster, PA

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
            On Saturday 02 June 2007 08:21, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
            > Since it's all  geometric,
            > if I could do ASCII art I could draw it for you, but I can't.

            I believe I have a program that turns an image into ASCII art. If you send me
            a drawing off-list, I can convert it and post it. Alternatively, you could
            upload a sketch to the files section for this group.

            Kind regards,

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Bulgarelli Maria
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
              Where exactly are you? Didn't you say Gleann Abhann?
              Give me an idea. I can get in touch with them. I
              have lots of friends who know people over there. I'm
              in Houston so I'm pretty close.

              Maria
              wrote:

              > > First, to address the original question, don't
              > worry about garb at
              > all, email/call the chatelaine of your local group
              > and/or of the group
              > that's holding the event and explain that it's going
              > to be your first
              > event and you have no garb--also mention how many of
              > you there are.
              > My apologies for getting so caught up in the
              > question of making garb
              > that I forgot the best way of getting garb.
              >
              > The website for my area does not list a Chatelaine.
              > I e-mail the
              > Seneschal, but she hasn't gotten back to me. If I
              > don't hear from her
              > soon, is there someone I should contact? Should I
              > try the
              > Principality officers? (Not so much about garb, but
              > about getting
              > ready in general, and all the questions entailed
              > therein)?

            • Elizabeth Cember
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
                http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/Tunics/TUNICS.HTML
                This version doesn't call for set-in sleeves. For when you've got time and need the fullness that the period pattern gives.

                When I do the two final side seams (cuff to hem) I pin starting at the under arm gores and let the cuffs and hem deal with any mistakes I made in cutting.

                Elspeth

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
                  I haven't tried to make a really fitted tunic so the the extra fabric from the gusset has been enough to allow free arm movement and I'm not relying on any bias stretching.

                  I'm with you through "attach the sleeve and gusset as one", but I can't quite picture how you're manipulating the fabric for the last seam on a side. I think it's something I'd be able to do by hand, but not by machine. Do you sort of switch from
                  1. Putting the sides of the sleeve together to
                  2. sewing the gusset to the side of the sleeve that isn't already sewn to the gusset to
                  3. sewing the gusset to the side of the body that isn't already sewn to the gusset to
                  4. sewing the sides of the body together ?

                  http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/garments/bocksten/bocksten.html
                  Is one extant tunic with the underarm gussets done as two triangles.

                  Elspeth

                  "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
                  I woke and saw that life was duty,
                  I acted and behold, duty was joy"
                  -- Rabinranath Tagore

                  Coblaith@sbcglobal. net writes:

                  <<> Also, sewing the full square gusset onto the sleeve and then setting

                  > in the sleeve and sewing around it is far more difficult than doing

                  > the gusset as two triangles.

                  Actually, that's the one step I don't do the way Stockton does. >>

                  and

                  <<I'm not aware of any extant medieval tunics with seams in the middle of

                  their underarm gussets. Can you point me to information on any?

                  Having one would undoubtedly change the way the gusset drapes, and

                  might alter the way the sleeve hangs, so I wouldn't want to use them if

                  they're a modern invention.>>

                  Making the gussets as two triangles with a seam up the diagonal totally

                  defeats the purpose of the gusset in any case. Inserting the gusset with the

                  bias (the diagonal line) of the fabric where it is gives the garment stretch to

                  allow easier movement of the arm. If you have a seam where that bias line

                  is, you have removed most if not all of the stretch.

                  I have never inset a sleeve on a tunic - it's just not how they are made, as

                  far as I can tell. I shape my sleeve piece, sew the complete square gusset

                  onto one side where the sleeve will attach to the tunic (so I have a sleeve

                  with a little jutting our square on one side), then lay the tunic out flat (no

                  side seams sewn at this point), attach the sleeve and gusset as one, and

                  then do my side and sleeve seams at the same times. Since it's all geometric,

                  if I could do ASCII art I could draw it for you, but I can't.

                  Lancaster, PA

                  ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                  #ygrp-text{
                  font-family:Georgia;
                  }
                  #ygrp-text p{
                  margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                  font-family:Arial;
                  clear:both;}
                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                  padding:0 1px;}
                  #ygrp-actbar{
                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                  float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                  .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-grft{
                  #ygrp-ft{
                  padding:5px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                  padding-bottom:10px;}

                  #ygrp-vital{
                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                  padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-vital a {
                  text-decoration:none;}

                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;}

                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  padding:8px 0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  text-decoration:none;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  margin:0;}
                  o {font-size:0;}
                  .MsoNormal {
                  margin:0 0 0 0;}
                  #ygrp-text tt{
                  font-size:120%;}
                  blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                  .replbq {margin:4;}
                  -->

                • Emrys Clearwater
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
                    Unfortunately, I believe that was someone else.
                    I am personally from Wolfscairn Shire, and my sister and her friends are from Montaigne du Roi in the Barony of Darkwood, both in the Principality of The Mists, Kingdom of the west.

                    Bulgarelli Maria <scarlettmb@...> wrote: Where exactly are you? Didn't you say Gleann Abhann?
                    Give me an idea. I can get in touch with them. I
                    have lots of friends who know people over there. I'm
                    in Houston so I'm pretty close.

                    Maria

                    Emrys of Clearwater (Unregistered)
                    Wolfscairn, Province of The Mists
                    Kingdom of the West

                  • Bulgarelli Maria
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
                      Ok. I looked up all of the groups. The shire at
                      least has an up to date web site.

                      mistsgoldkey@... - is the Principality's
                      Gold Key

                      anneofmdr@... - is the Gold key for the
                      Barony of Darkwood, of which the canton of Montaigne
                      du Roi is a part

                      ramsheart@... - is the Chatelaine for the
                      Barony of Darkwood.

                      wrote:

                      > Unfortunately, I believe that was someone else.
                      > I am personally from Wolfscairn Shire, and my sister
                      > and her friends are from Montaigne du Roi in the
                      > Barony of Darkwood, both in the Principality of The
                      > Mists, Kingdom of the west.
                      >
                      > Bulgarelli Maria <scarlettmb@...> wrote:
                      > Where exactly are
                      > you? Didn't you say Gleann Abhann?
                      > Give me an idea. I can get in touch with them. I
                      > have lots of friends who know people over there.
                      > I'm
                      > in Houston so I'm pretty close.
                      >
                      > Maria
                      >

                      > Emrys of Clearwater (Unregistered)
                      > Wolfscairn, Province of The Mists
                      > Kingdom of the West

                      > removed]

                    • Bulgarelli Maria
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
                        OOPS. Hit the wrong button there.

                        Ok I'm going to start from the beginning.

                        Ok. I looked up all of the groups. The shire at
                        least has an up to date web site.

                        mistsgoldkey@... - is the Principality's
                        Gold Key

                        anneofmdr@... - is the Gold key for the
                        Barony of Darkwood, of which the canton of Montaigne
                        du Roi is a part

                        ramsheart@... - is the Chatelaine for the
                        Barony of Darkwood.

                        catherine@... - is the Seneschal of Barony of
                        Darkwood.

                        Ok on to the Shire's officers. The Canton's web site
                        has no information on it.

                        wolfscairn_seneschal@... is the Seneschal
                        Lady Anne of Whaleshaven

                        The A&S Minister has a phone number listed. It's the
                        only one with a phone number listed. If you wanted to
                        call someone I'd say all her first. I'm not going to
                        post her number here, but you know how to get to the
                        site so get it there. I don't post other people's
                        phone numbers without their permission.

                        Here's something I found on the Darkwood web site.

                        Montaigne du Roi
                        (North and West Monterey County - including Seaside)
                        Web site: None, but visit them at their Yahoo! Group
                        Seneschal: Christophe d'Avignon (his email address is
                        christophe@... )
                        ** Informational and officers meetings on the 2nd
                        Wednesday of the month, 7:00pm, email Christophe for
                        info.
                        ** Arts & Sciences workshops - 4th Thursday of the
                        month, at 7:00pm. Contact Hraefn fram Lindune for
                        details.
                        ** Fighter practice - Thursdays at 7:00pm, contact
                        Badger for information.
                        ** Rapier practice - Monday evenings at 7:00pm.
                        Contact David Falcone for information.

                        Apparently there's a reason the web site wasn't
                        complete for the canton.

                        Anyway. Hope this information helps you. If you have
                        any more needs please feel free to call me or email
                        me. My phone number is 281-433-0347.

                        Maria

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 3, 2007
                          In a message dated 6/2/2007 11:32:33 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          sapphire_chan@... writes:

                          <<I'm with you through "attach the sleeve and gusset as one", but I can't
                          quite picture how you're manipulating the fabric for the last seam on a side. I
                          think it's something I'd be able to do by hand, but not by machine. Do you
                          sort of switch from
                          1. Putting the sides of the sleeve together to
                          2. sewing the gusset to the side of the sleeve that isn't already sewn to
                          the gusset to
                          3. sewing the gusset to the side of the body that isn't already sewn to the
                          gusset to
                          4. sewing the sides of the body together ?>>

                          No.

                          If I am using separate pieces for the front and the back, then I sew the
                          shoulder seams together first. Then I take each sleeve (open, not sewn
                          together) and attach the gusset that goes with it. I then lay out the tunic as a
                          single long strip of fabric, not folded over or anything, pin the still open
                          sleeves where they need to go, and sew them on. So if you lay the whole thing
                          out flat at this point, you have, effectively, a cross with two long arms (the
                          front and back) and two short arms (the sleeves). At this point I fold it
                          at the shoulder line and close the side seams in one long strip. Starting at
                          the gusset and working out to the end of the arm and the end of the skirts
                          does work well, that way if you are a little off you just trim the extra before
                          hemming. Depending on how big your wrist openings are, it might be a bit
                          tricky to do that bit on the sewing machine, but the rest should be fine. I do
                          all my sewing by hand (I hate sewing machines, I can't sew a straight line
                          with one to save my life), so I don't have a problem with it.
                          Does that make any more sense?

                          Lancaster, PA

                        • Elizabeth Cember
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 3, 2007
                            My mental image of the process below has only two sides of the gusset attached. When and how do you attach the other sides of the square?

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 4, 2007
                              --- Elizabeth Cember <sapphire_chan@...> wrote:

                              > My mental image of the process below has only two sides of the gusset
                              > attached. When and how do you attach the other sides of the square?
                              >
                              > Elspeth

                              I can't speak for anyone else, but here's my order of doing things:

                              1) Sew front to back
                              2) Cut out and face neck (being sure to *not* center the neck on the
                              shoulder seam, but put it 1/3 to the back and 2/3 to the front for
                              comfort)
                              3) Attach gussets to end of sleeve (forming a little dangle bit on one
                              edge, which continues and elongates the edge that will attach to the body)
                              4) Sew one seam to attach the sleeve and gusset to the body (making sure
                              to center the sleeve, not the whole sleeve-gusset piece, on the shoulder
                              seam)
                              5) Sew triangular gores (2-6, depending on size) together into one big
                              fan shape. To control stretch, I sew the bias of each triangle to the
                              straight grain of the next triangle.
                              6) Sew the two fans of gores (left and right sides) to opposite sides of
                              the body pieces (this winds up one left-back and one front-right (or maybe
                              vice-versa), because of the way I control the fabric). I sew this from
                              the hem up, using the straight edge of one side of the triangles in the
                              fan and matching it up to the straight edge of the bottom of the body of
                              the gown. This way, I don't have to worry about where the top of the gore
                              is going to hit on the body, and my hems come out even every time.
                              **Nota Bene: The advantage to doing this is that, if you use a very
                              consistant seam allowance, you wind up with a very neat point where all
                              the gores come together at a single spot.**
                              7) Sew one really long seam, from cuff to hem, sewing first the sleeve
                              bits together, then the body end of the sleeve to one side of the gusset,
                              then the other side of the gusset to the body of the garment, then down
                              the side of the garment, sewing gores to body parts and finishing at the
                              hem.
                              8) If the cuff end wasn't cut as a selvedge (which I often try to do),
                              fold over and hem the cuff
                              9) Cut off stray triangle points and hem bottom edge.

                              Any questions? I could do some sketches and scan them, if that would help.

                              In Service to Lioncourt Manor and An Tir,
                              Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana

                              Never miss an email again!
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 4, 2007
                                In a message dated 6/3/2007 11:11:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                sapphire_chan@... writes:

                                <<My mental image of the process below has only two sides of the gusset
                                attached. When and how do you attach the other sides of the square?>>

                                The first side is attached when you sew it to the sleeve. The second side
                                is attached when you sew the sleeve-and-gusset to the body of the tunic. The
                                third and fourth sides form parts of the underarm seam and side seam and are
                                done when you close these seams.

                                Lancaster, PA

                              • Elizabeth Cember
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 4, 2007
                                  Sorry. Looked back at the post just now and realized that "starting from the gusset" can include sewing the gusset. I had originally read it as starting the side seam just under where the gusset was attached to the body.

                                  All clear now, and it is just as I thought you were doing.

                                  sapphire_chan@ yahoo.com writes:

                                  <<My mental image of the process below has only two sides of the gusset
                                  attached. When and how do you attach the other sides of the square?>>

                                  The first side is attached when you sew it to the sleeve. The second side
                                  is attached when you sew the sleeve-and-gusset to the body of the tunic. The
                                  third and fourth sides form parts of the underarm seam and side seam and are
                                  done when you close these seams.

                                  Lancaster, PA

                                  ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.

                                • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
                                    a general observation:

                                    It's a very bad idea to send someone else's e-mail address to a Yahoo!
                                    Group. Spiders harvest from archives, and those whose addresses are so
                                    posted may soon be inundated with spam. . .on the order of hundreds of
                                    pieces per day. (You may have noticed I include mine in my signature;
                                    I received over 3000 pieces of junk today.) Even if they're using an
                                    officer address, rather than their personal one, that can completely
                                    overwhelm.

                                    If you've seen a particular individual's address on a website, it's
                                    much better to simply pass on the URL. It is likely protected there,
                                    by one piece of careful programming or another, from harvest. And if
                                    it's not, you can at least be sure it isn't being exposed in any way to
                                    which the individual to whom it belongs has not consented.

                                    Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                                    Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                                    Kingdom of Ansteorra
                                    <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                                  • Wolfy
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
                                      I'm using Gmail...
                                      I haven't had a single spam mail for the past... 3-4 month
                                      Up to 20 in the past 2 years.
                                      If you really have to put in an email use thisisanemail [ATs] address [DOTs] com
                                      I am sure people can read through the square brackets. Bots can't though.

                                      And if there is mail on a web page, rest assured that it will get
                                      picked up by crawlers.

                                      ~Wolfy

                                      --
                                      The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)